The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Electric Fuel Shut off (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336558)

PaulBob 03-09-2024 07:48 PM

Electric Fuel Shut off

I haven't made up my mind about adding an Electric Fuel Shut off to my 31 Coupe. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

Marshall V. Daut 03-09-2024 08:07 PM

Re: Electric Fuel Shut off

If your car has the pop-out ignition switch, you can't install the electronic shut off valve to be operated by the switch. You'd have to possibly run wires to a toggle switch.
Marshall

PaulBob 03-09-2024 08:08 PM

No pop out ignition switch. Would the electric switch do a good job?

kenparker0703 03-09-2024 08:14 PM

Do not wire an electric fuel switch on same switch if you have an electronic distributor. The electritikkles dont like one another. As marshall says use a separate switch.

I have used them on several cars. I like the ideaa. len

PaulBob 03-09-2024 08:20 PM

No electronic distributor. No leak problem using electronic fuel cutoff switches on several cars?

CarlG 03-09-2024 08:26 PM

I've been using one for 10+ years with no problems.

SDJason 03-09-2024 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBob (Post 2296694)
I haven't made up my mind about adding an Electric Fuel Shut off to my 31 Coupe. Anyone have experience with them? Thanks.

My 1930 Town Sedan had one that was put in by a previous owner.
It worked fine for around 10 years, but then I found out the hard way that when one of those fails, it fails in the "Off" position - meaning that if you're driving along and it fails on you somewhere, you won't be getting the car home under its own power. I decided to replace it with a 1/4-turn ball valve.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1710034729

PaulBob 03-09-2024 09:34 PM

Are you happy with Ball type cutoff? No leaks?

Bruce of MN 03-09-2024 09:44 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what other solenoid valve type is there?

gdmn852 03-09-2024 09:51 PM

Hello, I have one on my 31 , installed by previous owner, seems to work ok , does have separate shut off switch, also have a master switch on battery. Better than having to raze hood to use factory shut off.

nkaminar 03-10-2024 06:26 AM

I have an electric fuel pump for my Weber down draft. When off it will not allow fuel to flow. I carry extra fuel lines to use in case the fuel pump fails. I use the manual valve when I want to run the carburetor dry. But this discussion has given me the idea of removing the separate fuse for the pump instead, or adding a switch.

oldspert 03-10-2024 07:46 AM

I put one on my 29 and because of the ethanol in todays fuel, the seal swelled so bad it shut off all of the orifice and would not pass enough gas (no pun intended) for the engine to run. I replaced it with a 1/4 turn ball valve also with no other problem.
Ed

midgetracer 03-10-2024 08:51 AM

I have the solenoid valves on both of my 31's and I love them. I have had them for about 10 years.

Big hammer 03-10-2024 09:48 AM

I’am for K.I.S.S. After going through my fuel system, pencil filter in the tank, lapping the gas valve, cleaning the carburetor float valve, I then had a leakless system. I would turn my car off and walk away, checking for leaks drips several times a day and for about 1 1/2 years no leaks or drips. Then after the car sat for a couple of weeks she began dripping from the carburetor, I would then close the shutoff valve and run the carburetor dry. Procrastinated that one day I need to address the float valve which I didn’t, I just started driving her more, after a couple weeks I started just walking away and behold she stopped dripping ! that’s been about a year. My guess the fuel flushed the junk away cleaning the float valve, Ford built a durable and simple car ! K.I.S.S.

SDJason 03-10-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulBob (Post 2296726)
Are you happy with Ball type cutoff? No leaks?

Absolutely happy - it's been around 4.5 years, and still working fine.
Having to open the hood to turn it on/off doesn't bother me - just made it part of the routine (along with the battery cutoff switch) - it becomes a habit that you don't really think about.

desotoguy 03-12-2024 08:19 AM

Can someone post a manufacturer and part number for the solenoid valve that you use? The valves I looked at had a time limit for being in the open position. TIA

Marshall V. Daut 03-12-2024 12:44 PM

Unfortunately, unless you still have an original on/off valve, you can't simply "lap" the stem on repo valves because of their construction. They either hold fuel back or leak and as far as i know, cannot be "rebuilt" with available kits. If someone has found a way to lap repo valve stems to seal again, I'd sure like to know about it. I have a half dozen leaking expensive repos that didn't last very long before they started leaking. And a couple were valves touted by the national vendor in his catalog as being high quality and leak-proof. Hmmmmm....
Marshall