The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cobwebs/black soot & oily plugs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295041)

Lawson Cox 02-26-2021 11:36 PM

Cobwebs/black soot & oily plugs

I know I'm older than all y'all, but I've forgotten most of what I knew in my youth, so help me out. Apatchy mostly sits nowadays but does get cranked occasionally to keep everything lubed up, etc. The plugs used to be tan when I drove him a lot but now they're black. That's because it isn't run long and hard enough to get the dust and cobwebs out, right? or at least almost right. LOL

Thanks for the refresher course. How long and hard and how often does he need to be driven to be tan again?

Pdstark 02-26-2021 11:57 PM

Re: Cobwebs/black soot & oily plugs

Yes, almost. Probably other reasons too.

Tinker 02-27-2021 12:04 AM

I think you should drive it more Lawson! Drive it till its tan.

my4dv8 02-27-2021 02:49 AM

Unfortunately when plugs are fouled from no long hot runs they stay fouled , well my engine guy says you cant satisfactorily clean bad plugs.
Perhaps leave the fouled plugs in Apatchy for your startups and replace with shiny new ones on your next road venture.

jimTN 02-27-2021 08:18 AM

Also may be a slightly rich mixture.

alanwoodieman 02-27-2021 09:03 AM

Lawson the days are getting longer, the sun is getting brighter and long rides in Apatchy are coming so don't despair! My old flatheads, Woodie and Little Red aren't being driven either. As far as plugs get some one to blast clean them and do a little carb adjusting for the extra blackness and look longingly out the window for those coming WARM days!

Bored&Stroked 02-27-2021 09:09 AM

If I was curious about this - I would swap in a good set of new plugs and take it for a long drive. Then check them . . .

jimvette59 02-27-2021 09:19 AM

I say don't fix what aint broken. If is running ok and no black smoke coming out the tailpipe drive it and enjoy the day. JMHO

joe 1950 02-27-2021 09:26 AM

Just a trick I learned from a old timer ,older than me and a lot wiser ,take your black plugs out put them gently in the vise and use a small torch with very low flame and heat the porcelain area slowly and it will burn off all the excess fuel the majority of that black is unburned fuel when they cool take them out and check gap and install ,seams like a lot of wasted time but if you’re like me ,I have nothing else to do and that ends the lesson for today happy motoring

flatford8 02-27-2021 03:09 PM

Yes, it needs to be driven, and don’t forget to push the choke in all the way.....Mark

Lawson Cox 02-27-2021 07:05 PM

Thanks, fellows. I'm afraid to drive it with my legs in the condition they're in. I just can't trust 'em. My son-in-law will be in town in a few days and I'll have him take me for a good long ride and blow the cobwebs out of Apatchy.