The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ford model b waterpumps (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284654)

dubbo3 07-27-2020 02:10 PM

Ford model b waterpumps

Water pump model b problems

Bob C 07-27-2020 02:17 PM

Re: Ford model b waterpumps

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubbo3 (Post 1913634)
water pump model b problems

ok?????

jetmek 07-28-2020 06:07 AM

I like beer too

Bob Bidonde 07-28-2020 09:03 AM

The Model "B" water pump is a design similar to the Model "A" pump. It uses the same bearings, rear bushing and packing. Thus it has the same functional problems as the Model "A" pump does.

Purdy Swoft 07-28-2020 09:17 AM

The model B water pump has the upper hose connection as part of the pump . The impeller is larger in diameter . The shaft is shorter and the pump connects to the head with three bolts instead of four . I feel that the model B water pump is an improvement over the model A pump but uses the same packing nut and packing . The B pump is easier to remove and replace .

Jim Brierley 07-28-2020 11:39 AM

The '32 B pump is longer than the '33-'34 because of the later's slanted radiator.

PalAl 07-28-2020 01:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here it is........ make an offer
Request more pics

Charlie Stephens 07-28-2020 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you having problems? If so what?

Do you want to know if there is any problem with the pump? They are about the same as the Model A and the same rebuilders can probably rebuild them.

They are attached by 3 bolts and cannot be used on a Model A head.

If you are running a Model B head on an engine in a Model A car you need the 1932 Model B pump to put the fan in the correct location. Sometimes the 1933-34 pump is called a Model B pump but it is shorter. The attached photo shows a Model B pump on the left and a 1933-34 pump on the right. The easiest way to tell them apart quickly is by looking at the spacing between the grease fittings.

Please tell us if your "problem" has been covered and you didn't just post the question and don't plan on ever coming back.

Charlie Stephens

Synchro909 07-28-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1913834)
The model B water pump has the upper hose connection as part of the pump . The impeller is larger in diameter . The shaft is shorter and the pump connects to the head with three bolts instead of four . I feel that the model B water pump is an improvement over the model A pump but uses the same packing nut and packing . The B pump is easier to remove and replace .

The B engine is very similar to the A so far as cooling goes. It is interesting to see that ford INCREASED the size of the impeller while some Model A owners try to cure a cooling problem by REDUCING it.
I've never paid any attention to those who say the coolant should be slowed down.

Purdy Swoft 07-28-2020 07:50 PM

The diameter of the model B impeller was larger than the model A impeller but the fins were not as pronounced . The fins on the impeller is what stirs and moves the coolant .

Synchro909 07-28-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1914036)
The diameter of the model B impeller was larger than the model A impeller but the fins were not as pronounced . The fins on the impeller is what stirs and moves the coolant .

OK, I haven't seen a B water pump. So how much coolant do you expect the B pump would move compared to the A?

Purdy Swoft 07-29-2020 10:22 AM

I don't have exact figures on how much coolant the B water pump moves but it is considered an improvement over the model A water pump . I feel that the B water pump , pumps slower , giving more time for cooling air to pass through the fins of the radiator .

Synchro909 07-29-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1914240)
I don't have exact figures on how much coolant the B water pump moves but it is considered an improvement over the model A water pump . I feel that the B water pump , pumps slower , giving more time for cooling air to pass through the fins of the radiator .

And more time for the engine to heat the water in the block!
I believe that within the limits of reason, it doesn't much matter how fast or slow the coolant circulates. Slow circulation will see the coolant enter the radiator at a higher temperature but spend more time in there to cool off. Higher circulation will see the opposite. I believe the real issue with overheating comes down to a restricted radiator and slowing the circulation is not treating the cause of the problem.
Here's my logic:
Let's follow a droplet of coolant as it wanders through the system starting at the pump.
The coolant is pumped into the top tank where it descends through the rad core cooling as it goes to the bottom tank, then through the return pipe and into the block. From there, it wanders through the engine getting warmer as it goes. It then finds its way into the head and back to the pump. The ONLY place the pump can get something to pump is from the bottom of the radiator via the engine. An area of lower pressure is created on the engine side of the pump and higher pressure at the pump outlet. As a radiator begins to clog, the pressure difference gets bigger till the area affected by the lower pressure extends to the bottom tank and the bottom of the core. This helps pull the coolant through the radiator. As the radiator gradually clogs more, the pressure in the block falls further and further and as we all know, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point, causing a propensity for it to boil. By now, the only cure is to replace ro repair the radiator. Reducing the size of the vanes on the impeller means the pressure difference it not as great because the efficiency of the pump is reduced. That disguises the issue and MIGHT give temporary relief from overheating.
It should be realised that for every drop of coolant pumped into the top of the radiator, a drop has been taken out of the bottom of it. The volume of the coolant does not change unless something is added to it. The most common cause of that is either boiling (steam added) or a leaky head gasket (exhaust gasses added) A high efficiency pump cannot cause the top tank to overflow unless there is another problem. A common misconception.
Ford used a metal return pipe from the bottom of the radiator to the block for a reason. If the radiator is clogged (or a thermostat hasn't opened yet), the pressure in it is so reduced that a rubber hose would collapse, stopping the flow of coolant all together with disastrous results. Many manufacturers used to use a coil of wire in the bottom hose to prevent that.
I believe reducing the size of the vanes is nothing more than voodoo. As I said, it MIGHT temporarily disguise the issue but it isn't a cure.

redmodelt 07-30-2020 09:27 PM

The person asking the question joined in 2012, his only other post was as short as this one and has not been on line here after this question was posted. Hope they are reading the replies and getting the info they need.

my4dv8 07-30-2020 10:44 PM

“The B pump is easier to remove and replace.“
Well I never removed an A pump but the B is still trouble as the radiator won’t allow the impeller out of the head. You need to remove the headlights and grill shell and radiator to get enough clearance.