The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Switched Carbs: choke rod doesn't line up (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284580)

GregLast 07-25-2020 11:03 PM

Switched Carbs: choke rod doesn't line up

I just picked up a rebuilt Tillotson Model X, and swapped it out with my Model B Zenith. The choke rod doesn't line up right and it's not a smooth pull.

It never really lined up with the zenith, it was off just a little, but now this is out of whack by a lot. I can make it work, but I won't leave it like this for long.

Any suggestions? Is there a difference in intake manifolds?

Jembow 07-26-2020 01:26 AM

Re: Switched Carbs: choke rod doesn't line up

Model A & Model B carbs are different and won't line up unless you use the correct manifold.

ronn 07-26-2020 06:55 AM

bend the rod- spoil the child........

Purdy Swoft 07-26-2020 07:57 AM

Model B intake manifolds are different .

wmws 07-26-2020 09:10 AM

Front engine mounts could be shot. Does the crank hole line up?

Bob C 07-26-2020 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mikes Affordable has the kit so the choke will line up.
https://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/B9510S.html

Ernie Vitucci 07-26-2020 10:50 AM

Good Morning...The bolts in the kit have had their shafts turned down a bit in the center so that the carburetor can swivel a little bit and line up. The kit works, if you have a lathe, you can make a couple...Ernie in Arizona

Purdy Swoft 07-26-2020 11:40 AM

The model B carburetor has a larger throat but the bolt pattern is the same as the model A . If the intake manifold runner is enlarged to model B size you will benefit from the larger model B carburetor . If the larger model B intake is used it will cause the carburetor to be at an angle that won't line up with the choke rod . unless the kit above is used . I once cut the flange off of a model B intake , turned it to the correct angle for use on the model A and brazed the flange back in place .

Big hammer 07-26-2020 12:56 PM

It didn't line up right with the Zenith, why would it line up with the Tilly ?

Maybe the frame is sagging, body blocks bad ? To get by..... removing the rubber grommet inside the car just might work, the choke rod would rattle!

Bob C 07-26-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregLast (Post 1913088)
I just picked up a rebuilt Tillotson Model X, and swapped it out with my Model B Zenith. The choke rod doesn't line up right and it's not a smooth pull.

It never really lined up with the zenith, it was off just a little, but now this is out of whack by a lot. I can make it work, but I won't leave it like this for long.

Any suggestions? Is there a difference in intake manifolds?

Yes.

Purdy Swoft 07-26-2020 04:30 PM

When the model B intake manifold is used , the position of the carburetor doesn't point in a straight back manner like it would if the model A intake manifold was used . The flange that the carburetor mounts too causes the rear of the carb , where the choke rod connects to be at an angle that doesn't line up with the choke rod .

SteveB31 07-26-2020 06:58 PM

The Model B carburetor was made for a Model B (1932-1934) Ford. It was never used nor designed for a a model A , and it used a flexible choke cable. The Tillotsen you had on your car was actually made to be used on a Model A.

GregLast 07-26-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big hammer (Post 1913293)
It didn't line up right with the Zenith, why would it line up with the Tilly ?

Maybe the frame is sagging, body blocks bad ? To get by..... removing the rubber grommet inside the car just might work, the choke rod would rattle!

This is actually quite likely. I have found at least one body block crushed, so I'm in the process of getting the body off to address a few things. Once I get everything mounted back up, I'll double check.

Someone else mentioned if the crank hole is lined up. It is, so I'm not too worried there.

Best case scenario, it's the body on the frame wonky, I fix that and the Tilly should line up. I hadn't thought that it could be this.

Thanks guys!

Bob C 07-26-2020 09:03 PM

Can you post a picture of the intake manifold you have?

Jacksonlll 07-27-2020 08:02 AM

Don’t bend the rod. You can’t turn it with a bend in it.

Purdy Swoft 07-27-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveB31 (Post 1913410)
The Model B carburetor was made for a Model B (1932-1934) Ford. It was never used nor designed for a a model A , and it used a flexible choke cable. The Tillotsen you had on your car was actually made to be used on a Model A.

No harm meant but I believe that the model B carburetor with a smaller venturi was sold as a replacement for the Zenith one and two carburetors on the model A .