The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tie Rods (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283883)

Joe/Ct 07-11-2020 11:51 AM

Tie Rods

I am able to rotate my tie rod about 20 degrees. Is that acceptable? If not, is there an adjustment that I can make or do I need to replace my tie rod ends?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-11-2020 12:21 PM

Re: Tie Rods

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe/Ct (Post 1908130)
I am able to rotate my tie rod about 20 degrees. Is that acceptable? If not, is there an adjustment that I can make or do I need to replace my tie rod ends?

IMO, 20° is nothing but if it bothers you, loosen one of the Tie-Rod End bolts and rotate the end on the tie-rod by about 10° in the opposite direction, and this should eliminate some of the rotation.

Joe/Ct 07-11-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1908144)
IMO, 20° is nothing but if it bothers you, loosen one of the Tie-Rod End bolts and rotate the end on the tie-rod by about 10° in the opposite direction, and this should eliminate some of the rotation.

Clarification: The tie rod is rotating when both ends are bolted down. It is rotating on the piece that the tie rod end is attached to...

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-11-2020 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joe, I'm not sure I still understand you. So that I am clear, I am going to break this down very elementary on a PDF. Please don't be offended as I am not trying to belittle you, but I want to make sure I understand so that I don't give you bad information.

The A-3281 Spindle Connecting Rod is what I think you are calling a Tie-Rod. This connects both Steering Arms which are bolted to the front Spindles. The A-3285 & A3286 are the Spindle Connecting Rod Ends, and threads onto the Connecting Rod. On each of the Connecting Rod Ends, there is a clamping bolt & nut that go thru the area that I have drawn an arrow in Blue. Are you saying that when this bolt is properly tightened, the Connecting rod still spins inside each Connecting Rod End?

Joe/Ct 07-11-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1908186)
Joe, I'm not sure I still understand you. So that I am clear, I am going to break this down very elementary on a PDF. Please don't be offended as I am not trying to belittle you, but I want to make sure I understand so that I don't give you bad information.

The A-3281 Spindle Connecting Rod is what I think you are calling a Tie-Rod. This connects both Steering Arms which are bolted to the front Spindles. The A-3285 & A3286 are the Spindle Connecting Rod Ends, and threads onto the Connecting Rod. On each of the Connecting Rod Ends, there is a clamping bolt & nut that go thru the area that I have drawn an arrow in Blue. Are you saying that when this bolt is properly tightened, the Connecting rod still spins inside each Connecting Rod End?

Brent, thanks for your patience.

I am able to tighten the connecting rod ends to both ends of the connecting rod. What I am saying is that, with the ends tightened and the system installed, I am able to rotate that rod by 20 +/- degrees when it is connected to the ball in the steering arms.

john charlton 07-12-2020 04:18 AM

20 degrees is absolutely fine . Most of my cars are more than that . With good balls and rebuilt track rod ends with good rubbers and the trackrod ends are aligned with each other 20 degrees is what you get . I check my track rods with a vise grip and give a wiggle ,if I think too much rotation (more than say 30 degrees ) I screw in the slotted plug a turn each side no half turns so the wear pattern is not changed .

John in warm morning Suffolk County England .

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-13-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe/Ct (Post 1908260)
Brent, thanks for your patience.

I am able to tighten the connecting rod ends to both ends of the connecting rod. What I am saying is that, with the ends tightened and the system installed, I am able to rotate that rod by 20 +/- degrees when it is connected to the ball in the steering arms.

Then let me ask, do you have the A-3332 Grease Retainer and the A-3333 Grease Retainer Caps installed??

Joe/Ct 07-26-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1908672)
Then let me ask, do you have the A-3332 Grease Retainer and the A-3333 Grease Retainer Caps installed??

Brent,

sorry for the delay in responding....computer issues.

Regarding you question: I am not sure what is in the tie rod end. I have not worked on the front end since purchasing the roadster 15 years ago. I plan, within the month, to "open her up" to see what I have there. I am expecting that I will need to rebuild the ends.

Thanks for you patience.