The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   odd rear brake drum 30 coupe (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283435)

31Abone 06-30-2020 10:49 PM

odd rear brake drum 30 coupe

2 Attachment(s)
I worked on lots of A's and 32's but have not seen this type of rear brake drum ? broken stud.. guess i need to pull axle ?

31Abone 07-01-2020 12:49 AM

Re: odd rear brake drum 30 coupe

Went online and found that this is a early 28 AR rear end..learn something every day on Model A's...not sure if this stud and hole is repairable ?

31Abone 07-01-2020 12:51 AM

does this plate pull off axle like later drum ?

Bill G 07-01-2020 01:01 AM

It looks like the part that is still on the axle is the hub. The hub should be actually attached to the drum by swedging the studs to the hub and drum. Not a wonder that a stud is missing if they aren't swedged to the drum. (Unless they did it differently in early 28)

kenparker 07-01-2020 06:13 AM

That early Hub will come off the axel like all other (29-30-31) hubs and axels. You will probably need a Hub Puller. Once Hub is off a new stud can be swedged in the vacent hole - if the hole is not wollered out. Actually all the studs should be removed and start over with all new studs. The hub and drum are swedged together and should NOT come apaart like your picture shows. The holes in your drum may be "wollered" out to big.

John 07-01-2020 07:28 AM

While I cannot see the rest of the rear end, the early '28 did not have an emergency brake band setup.

Mel Gross 07-01-2020 08:35 AM

That is not an AR backing plate or drum. It is a 28 / 29 hub (has external ring for puller). It looks like the studs are not Model A studs as the exposed shoulder and threads are longer. I would highly recommend that you check the other side. If both are the same, then fix them correctly by either installing new Model A studs (Pressed / swaged). The real fix is to buy new cast iron drums while your at it. If this is what you want to do, then contact us!

Will N 07-01-2020 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Abone (Post 1904728)
Went online and found that this is a early 28 AR rear end..learn something every day on Model A's...not sure if this stud and hole is repairable ?

This is not an early "AR" rear brake set up. The picture shows a separate parking brake band. The "AR"s did not have a separate parking brake band. The parking brake lever on the "AR" set the rear service brakes. This continued until June 1928 when the separate parking brake system was added.

The hub with the Shoulder as shown in the picture was used interchangeably with the more familiar Grooved hub, and there was also a third type referred to the Tapered design as shown in the September 1929 Service Bulletin. That bulletin notes that the Grooved hub will be the only type supplied in the future, so we can infer that the Shoulder, Grooved and Tapered hubs were being installed at the factory interchangeably as late as September 1929- well after the "AR" cars.

As others have mentioned, what we have here is a broken drum/hub assembly. The drum should not come off the hub. The studs are swedged or pressed/crushed into place and that locks the drum to the hub. This car should not be driven until this is repaired.

31Abone 07-01-2020 11:46 AM

Will a newer 30 31 brake drum fit the AR setup..that is can I get rid of plate and loose drum as pictured and put a standard newer style drum on axle ?

d.j. moordigian 07-01-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Abone (Post 1904846)
Will a newer 30 31 brake drum fit the AR setup..that is can I get rid of plate and loose drum as pictured and put a standard newer style drum on axle ?

You DON'T HAVE AN "AR" brake system...!!
You have a normal brake system for a Model A. An "AR" brake drum will
NOT fit.........the brake drum you have will work.

Y-Blockhead 07-01-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Abone (Post 1904846)

No and Yes. No, New drum doesn't fit AR brakes. Yes you can get a new drum and hub for your rear end, which as stated already, is not AR. Contact Randy (Mel) Gross above. 714-292-8660

katy 07-02-2020 11:01 AM

That hub can still be used by removing the existing studs and drilling a new set of holes for new studs.