The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tacoma Cream Powder Coating - getting close! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282319)

Joeyv 06-09-2020 02:51 PM

Tacoma Cream Powder Coating - getting close!

I’m putting on A set of 19 inch wheels on my 31 roadster and had been looking for someone to powder coat them in Tacoma cream. There are businesses to powder coat, but I couldn’t find anyone in San Diego that had that color. I had been calling “Model A Wheel Colors” coating in Seattle and always received a voicemail, which was filled up, so it was impossible to leave a message. I contacted ‘Powder by the pound’ ( https://www.powderbuythepound.com )in Tennessee. I told the pleasant women in customer service there that I was restoring a Model A Ford and I need a particular color powder coat. I asked if they could supply a specific Model A color for me. She asked “like Tacoma Cream?”! Apparently someone had already ordered that color from them, and they had the formula required to make it. I ordered it from them. I was told I should have it in 2 weeks. I’ll let you know how their service is, and how accurate the color is when the wheels powder coated.. So far so good. Passing it on if others need a powder coat supplier for similar reasons.

old31 06-09-2020 04:00 PM

Re: Tacoma Cream Powder Coating - getting close!

I have used them and there service is great. There Tacoma Creme is right on the money, perfect match.

The Master Cylinder 06-09-2020 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1897326)
I have used them and there service is great. There Tacoma Creme is right on the money, perfect match.

Good to know.

jw hash 06-09-2020 09:20 PM

with the virus BS, Model A wheel colors has been closed. hopefully they will be back open soon. I use them all the time.

Joeyv 06-10-2020 09:20 AM

Jw hash: I suspected that might have been a reason for them being MIA. It’s a common occurrence these days. Thanks.

jw hash 06-10-2020 11:42 AM

joeyv I will let you know when they are open. I need a lot of powder coating done. so I will be up there. if you have a problem getting a hold of them let me know.

Alaska Mike 06-10-2020 05:34 PM

Be sure and get some extra powder and keep it in a sealed container, in a conditioned space. If you get a chip or need touch up you can do it with clear finger nail polish and some of the powder. Learned that from a class I took at Powder by the Pound. Good folks.

jack99 06-11-2020 04:15 PM

I believe I used RAL 1001

Kingo 06-13-2020 03:39 PM

Just had my 19” rims to the powder coater. Used Model A Wheel Colors Tacoma cream on them. Color is perfect match to the paint chip in the model a paint book. Great people to work with!

jw hash 06-13-2020 06:55 PM

Joey sent PM

Joeyv 07-02-2020 12:29 PM

Just to follow up on my original posting: The powder I received from ‘Powder Buy The Pound’ matched my other Model A wheels’ Tacoma Cream color. I was happy with the turn around time and color. I’d use them again, but I can’t say how their prices compare to Model A Wheel Colors’ because they were unavailable when I was looking to purchase powder. If you are going to purchase powder, you should check both. It sounds like both places can provide Tacoma Cream. I can’t speak for other colors. Thanks all!

old31 07-02-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeyv (Post 1897299)
I’m putting on A set of 19 inch wheels on my 31 roadster and had been looking for someone to powder coat them in Tacoma cream. There are businesses to powder coat, but I couldn’t find anyone in San Diego that had that color. I had been calling “Model A Wheel Colors” coating in Seattle and always received a voicemail, which was filled up, so it was impossible to leave a message. I contacted ‘Powder by the pound’ ( https://www.powderbuythepound.com )in Tennessee. I told the pleasant women in customer service there that I was restoring a Model A Ford and I need a particular color powder coat. I asked if they could supply a specific Model A color for me. She asked “like Tacoma Cream?”! Apparently someone had already ordered that color from them, and they had the formula required to make it. I ordered it from them. I was told I should have it in 2 weeks. I’ll let you know how their service is, and how accurate the color is when the wheels powder coated.. So far so good. Passing it on if others need a powder coat supplier for similar reasons.

I have bought tacoma creme through powder by the pound and they are great to work with. The color match was perfect.

I first tried model a wheels but gave up on them. This was about a year ago.