The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Arcing New Brake Linings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278915)

51woodie 04-04-2020 08:49 AM

Arcing New Brake Linings

5 Attachment(s)
Nice weather and nowhere to go, so I pulled the front and rear drums on the '46 to check for wheel cylinder leaks and clean out brake dust. I found that the contact area of the eight shoes ranged from +/- 40 to 80% contact, which is understandable, given drum wear and the quality of some aftermarket parts. As well, there are no places where I live that have the equipment to arc shoes to match drum diameters. I started to sand the first lining using a sanding block and 80 grit paper. I could not get at backing plate side of the lining because of the lip that overhangs the lining. What to do? I decided to make a tool for the job. Using a block of maple I had in my woodshop, I cut and shaped a tool to hold an 1-3/4" X 5" strip of adhesive backed sandpaper. I cut a radius of 6" (12" drums) which is close enough to get the high spots by manipulating where I put the pressure on the sanding block. All the shoes are done now, just have to put drums and wheels back on, and test drive and recheck after the snow is gone and a few miles driven.

corvette8n 04-04-2020 09:06 AM

Re: Arcing New Brake Linings

Wow cool idea, now when are you going into production on that tool.:)

deuce5wndw 04-04-2020 10:25 AM

How about stickon paper inside the drum and bolt the drum on and spin the drum with a handle while adjusting the brake shoe out?

G.M. 04-04-2020 10:34 AM

I have a large KR Wilson machine for arching Ford brakes and a big heavy
machine to reline pressure plates if anyone is interested. They are located
in Punta Gorda, FL. Also have equipment to line bore the engines. I think
it does both crank bearings, cam bushings and cylinders. If interested call
1-941-637-1813 after 3:30 P.M. or [email protected] G.M.

B-O-B 04-04-2020 12:32 PM

When I did mine on the 34 roadster I used a belt sander with 80 grit ,of course the shoes were off.

v8nut 04-04-2020 01:56 PM

Here is a poor man's solution for arcing the shoes if you need to increase the radius as the drums wear. They do need to be off of the car. Use a very heavy ball peen hammer and an anvil. Strike the web of the shoe near the center with a few heavy blows with the ball end of the hammer. This will expand (stretch) the web and thereby increase the radius. Keep testing the shoe against the drum until it fits correctly. Don't go too far. Jim in San Jose

my4dv8 04-04-2020 03:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is how i re arced my shoes ,hillbilly way. Backed the adjusters right off, found some rolls of sticky backed sand paper and stuck to the drum. Re installed drum and wheel , spun the wheel a while , readjusted shoes ,another short spin and i was done . Super easy and cant really get it wrong, perfect radius now.
Pic two shows poor contact, hard to see in pic 3 but perfect even contact now.

philipswanson 04-04-2020 05:33 PM

Just don't breathe the dust. They are still using asbestos in some brake linings.

JayChicago 04-04-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1870135)
They are still using asbestos in some brake linings.

Really?! With all the asbestos lawyers in this country? Even if manufactured overseas, what distributor/seller would be willing to take that big obvious risk? Could be I guess, but I'm skeptical.

tubman 04-04-2020 06:22 PM

Ask the guys in Australia about asbestos content in automobiles.