The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dumb question about steering box (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284259)

Digger 07-18-2020 08:09 PM

Dumb question about steering box

I am breaking down, cleaning up, and reassembling my 29/30 pick up. On the steering box, there are two “fillers”. Do I put new lubricant in BOTH of them?

When I do EFV8’s, I use HD corn head grease. ...

Cape Codder 07-18-2020 09:10 PM

Re: Dumb question about steering box

NO. The top one is for adjustment of the steering. The bottom one is for lube. I don't know about the HD Corn Head Grease. Most on this site don't put grease in the steering box. I should of asked is that a two or 7 tooth box. I don't know the arrangement of a 7 tooth.

Digger 07-18-2020 09:29 PM

Sorry, meant to type John Deere JD corn head grease, I have had success with it in my 33/34 boxes.

chrs1961815 07-18-2020 09:40 PM

The cornhead grease is probably the way to go with all model a steering boxes because they leak. Many steering boxes use grease anyways, and cornhead is in between.

daren007 07-18-2020 09:44 PM

My two tooth box does not leak.

woofa.express 07-19-2020 12:50 AM

I remember a statement made by an old school teacher and I quote
"don't be afraid to ask a question regardless of how dumb you think it may be. For if you don't know there will be others who likewise don't know either."

Patrick L. 07-19-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daren007 (Post 1910759)
My two tooth box does not leak.

Then is probably empty ! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist !

Ruth 07-19-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1910828)

Sorry, couldn't resist !

I was thinking the same!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-19-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1910828)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1910912)
I was thinking the same!!

Guys, it really is not that difficult to rebuild a Model-A steering gearbox that does not leak. The problem is most 'restorers' only do the job half-way. I can't begin to tell you how many sector bushings I have seen installed incorrectly. Adding to that, the sector shaft has not been polished nor has the bushings been properly fitted with the correct clearance. If the gearbox case and the sector housing are fitted properly with a correct gasket, ...and if the nuts & studs have a trace of liquid teflon sealant on them, they will be fine. For extra insurance, add the tube to the bottom and the 0-ring between the frame and sector housing and you will be set with nary a leak. Don't just assume because yours leaks that everyone else's does too. ;)