The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Spark lever question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169790)

Willynch 05-27-2015 08:06 PM

Spark lever question

To start, I retard the spark with the lever all the way up. Once the car starts, I advance the spark with the lever all the way down. Even when warmed up, if I try and move the spark lever up from the "all the way down position" the engines slows and stalls. In otherwords, it seems I can only run with spark advanced all the way.

I am rebuilding the carb because of leaks. Once that is completed, how do I improve the performance of the spark adjustments?

Thanks

My1930ModelA 05-27-2015 08:14 PM

Re: Spark lever question

I would first check to make sure the lever travel equals full travel of the distributor plate from fully retarded to fully advanced. If your car is a 30 or 31, the steering shaft can be rotated to accurately set the travel. Then I would check for the overall condition of the distributor, looking for worn bushings causing shaft wobble. Clean or replace the points and set them accurately to .020" gap. Finally check and accurately set the spark timing using the dimple in the timing gear to find TDC on #1 cylinder and rotating the distributor cam per instructions for setting timing. Good luck and I think you'll find a real good idle!

Mitch//pa 05-27-2015 08:14 PM

make sure your spark rod throws fully in each direction at the distributor body opening.
then reset the timing to specs.
it sounds like your timing is to far retarded

pat in Santa Cruz 05-27-2015 08:20 PM

I would also check the wire between the two plates. Its not uncommon for it to short against the spring or the side of the distributor when the lever is in certain positions that cause it to make contact.

Mike V. Florida 05-28-2015 07:33 AM

The owners manual tell the owner where to place the lever.
Not having one, you can start all the way up, when driving at any given speed slowly lower the lever taking note of the engine speed. As the lever is lowered the speed on the engine will increase. At the point the engine stops increasing, that is the optimum for the timing.

So with that said if you cannot start and idle the car with the lever up, you have a timing problem.

I would go back, and following the suggestions above, re time the engine. Be sure the lever is all the way up when you do so. If the timing is correct and the point just open with lever just off the top, you need to look else where for the problem.

30ccpickup 05-28-2015 09:02 AM

Drawing of what My1930ModelA and Mitch//pa are suggesting.

http://modelabasics.com/ignition/Spa...%20Contact.gif

http://modelabasics.com/ignition/Check%20Shaft.gif

Steve Wastler 05-28-2015 11:04 AM

My first thought was like Pat suggested, check that wire....

willobs 05-28-2015 11:39 AM

In the second pic is the cam moving sideways or am I looking wrong!

31Tudor 05-28-2015 11:55 AM

That second picture is a little deceiving. The plate moves around the cam, not the cam moving back and forth.

31Tudor 05-28-2015 11:59 AM

Watch the location of the points wire and nut holding the points to the plate as the plate is moved through its travel. Be sure the nut, wire end is not touching the side of the distributor or the spring inside when it is moved. This can also be checked with an OHM meter.

Tom Wesenberg 05-28-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willobs (Post 1093519)

Nothing is moving...........what have you been drinking?:D

Actually he's showing what happens when the bushings are worn out.

Bob C 05-28-2015 12:04 PM

Quote:

If you go to the link it is showing what bad bushings look like.

Bob

30ccpickup 05-28-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by My1930ModelA (Post 1093215)
I would first check to make sure the lever travel equals full travel of the distributor plate from fully retarded to fully advanced. If your car is a 30 or 31, the steering shaft can be rotated to accurately set the travel. Then I would check for the overall condition of the distributor, looking for worn bushings causing shaft wobble. Clean or replace the points and set them accurately to .020" gap. Finally check and accurately set the spark timing using the dimple in the timing gear to find TDC on #1 cylinder and rotating the distributor cam per instructions for setting timing. Good luck and I think you'll find a real good idle!

I apologize for not being clear. The second photo is showing the back and fourth wobble that is a sign of bad busshings, which My1930ModelA pointed out.

30ccpickup 05-28-2015 12:09 PM

Everyone types faster then me!!

Mitch//pa 05-28-2015 12:23 PM

love your animated tech things... thanks for taking the time to post them

marc hildebrant 05-28-2015 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willynch (Post 1093207)
To start, I retard the spark with the lever all the way up. Once the car starts, I advance the spark with the lever all the way down. Even when warmed up, if I try and move the spark lever up from the "all the way down position" the engines slows and stalls. In otherwords, it seems I can only run with spark advanced all the way.

I am rebuilding the carb because of leaks. Once that is completed, how do I improve the performance of the spark adjustments?

Thanks

After you check your timing, you should adjust the timing lever for the road condition you have. It is used for adjustment, not for min or max.

Refer to the Model A owners manual for a good description.

Marc

Willynch 05-28-2015 03:31 PM

Thanks. Once carburetor is back in the care, I will adjust timing.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-28-2015 05:46 PM

It's pretty apparent that the timing's TOO SLOW. When you got one like this, just loosen the dist cam screw, turn the cam a bit CCW, tighten the screw & see if it sounds better. At least, you'll know if you're on the right track. Once you KNOW the sounds & reactions of a Model A, you CAN set the timing, WITHOUT even removing the timing pin & going through all that "MONKEY MOTION"---The Dog's LAFFIN'--What's a man to do????
Bill W.