The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone running Shock Absorbers from Snyder's? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278070)

Steve_Mack_CT 03-17-2020 07:48 AM

Anyone running Shock Absorbers from Snyder's?

Hi all. I have a pretty good understanding of options on shocks, Stipe, rebuilts, etc. So a quick question, is anyone personally using Shock absorbers from Snyders? I know they are made overseas already as I spoke to them a couple weeks ago. I am interested in how they have performed on a car. If you have a real concern and would rather PM than post I get it. Appreciate any feedback on these if you have them on your car.

Thanks,

Steve

Roxo 03-17-2020 08:03 AM

Re: Anyone running Shock Absorbers from Snyder's?

First are you talking their modern shocks or their duplicate of the original shocks?

hop up 03-17-2020 08:13 AM

Stipe shocks are made in Wisconsin and work great and works of art..

Steve_Mack_CT 03-17-2020 08:14 AM

Reproductions of original shocks guys thanks

TMarsh 03-17-2020 09:52 AM

I have them and have no complaints, just expensive.

Aretino 03-17-2020 10:33 AM

buy american whenever you can

rotorwrench 03-17-2020 05:26 PM

Some are sealed. They look like OEM but you can't service them. It would be interesting to find out how those types work out. Most are around $1.2K for a set. Stipe always has out of stock on his but I wonder if that is due to selling them to resto supply sources or if he just doesn't update his web-site.

Synchro909 03-17-2020 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aretino (Post 1862987)
buy american whenever you can

I'd rather not buy foreign made stuff if I can avoid it. That includes American made. Not that US made means poor quality, just that it doesn't help our country or industry.

Steve_Mack_CT 03-18-2020 06:07 AM

Thanks folks!

AL in NY 03-18-2020 05:55 PM

Buy the Stipe shocks. They are extremely well made and are just slightly more expensive than the foreign made Synder's shocks.

Flathead 03-18-2020 06:08 PM

If I needed new shocks I would definitely buy refillable ones, that would be Stipes. I don't like the sealed idea.

duke36 03-19-2020 12:39 PM

Agree with others about the sealed shocks where the outer chamber won't take fluid. Had a set of older repops where they failed and could'nt top off the outer chamber, etc. I tried the Snyders (Brattons', etc similar) tube shocks and are too stiff for the A's due to being gas charged.

don3527 03-20-2020 01:25 PM

Duke36. FYI, our modern tubular shocks are not gas, they are hydraulic.

Dave Slater 03-20-2020 04:37 PM

I have Brattons reproduction original style on two of my A's and am very happy with them. You can add oil anytime to them and they are made in USA

SteveB31 03-20-2020 07:12 PM

FYI, Snyder’s original style shocks are made in South America. Stripes and Brattons made in USA

updraught 03-20-2020 08:01 PM

The stifness of a shock is due to the size of the hole you are trying to ram the oil through. Like trying to ram sand thru an hour glass.
The amount of oil it can hold has an impact on how much heat it can accumulate before it bursts.
This is a problem in our outback where shocks work hard for hours on end. Touch them and you will burn your fingers. Not likely for most of you.

rotorwrench 03-21-2020 11:40 AM

With the Who-Die types, you hope it goes through the orifices instead of around the edges of the wing shaft. The fit in there has to be exceptionally close. This is why most core original shocks are not rebuildable. Glycerin and castor oil among others were common shock fluids for the originals. Most late ones likely use a low viscosity oil like MIL-H-5605 hydraulic oil or some ATF but I don't know what they recommend.

Steve_Mack_CT 03-21-2020 04:40 PM

Thanks again all. I will be going with Bratton or Stipe. Snyder is a first class outfit but this feedback is really helpful.

37 Coupe 03-22-2020 08:28 AM

I bought a set of Stipes shocks late last summer and I swear if I ever sold this car I would remove those shocks first and display them next to some trophies.As a retired journeyman machinist of 42 years I consider them works of art and it was tough for me to cover up that machined steel with black paint. They work good too.

rotorwrench 03-22-2020 09:15 AM

Houdaille shocks were meant to be a throw away item back in the day. Wing shafts were lapped into each body so there was no interchangeability with the internal parts. Bill Stipe had brought precision manufacturing into the game with his units. They are better than the originals due to this.