The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gps (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111385)

Earl McMillan 07-09-2013 02:38 PM

Gps

Few weeks ago a thread on GPS came up. At the time somebody said you
could plug them into 6 volt. Not sure what to search for. Any ideas.
Tanks
Earl McMillan

Big John 07-09-2013 02:42 PM

Re: Gps

check with mfr.....

msmaron 07-09-2013 02:49 PM

yes you can

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-09-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John (Post 685493)
check with mfr.....

Well I just purchased a pair of Nuvi50lm GPS' which I am going to convert one of the for 6 volt negative ground. I do question the logic on asking the manufacturer because I would think they will not want to discuss that to protect themselves from liability.

quickchange 07-09-2013 03:41 PM

Mine works on 6v or 12v but must be negative earth so when running in the A you need a insulated lighter socket as vehicle is positive earth,

Dick Deegan 07-09-2013 04:59 PM

Yes, the Garmin charger is a smart charger and can be used (mine at least ) on any voltage from 5 - 30V, but must be negative ground. I got an external outlet and just changed the wiring so that the ground side was negative.

Dick

Bob Johnson 07-09-2013 06:03 PM

It depends some yesy some no

Check the voltage output of the wall charger that came with your GPS. If the output is 6 volts or less there is a good chance that the cigarette lighter adapter that came with your GPS will work with the Model A 6 volt battery. Install a cigarette light receptacle. JUST BE SURE THAT YOU GET THE POLARITY CORRECT. If your GPS is charged through the USB port then you can get a car USB adapter. The car USB adapters are built to work on 12 volt systems. However they will also work on 6 volt systems. Just be sure to get the polarity correct.

Bob

Earl McMillan 07-09-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks fellows have my answer.

Earl

Bruce,Upstate NY 07-09-2013 09:12 PM

Re: It depends some yesy some no

I have run Garmans in two 6V A's for several years. I bought plastic lighter sockets with two wires. With a coarse sandpaper scuff a patch of paint under the fuel tank to the left of center. I put a dab of body fill on the lighter mounting pad and stuck it under the tank. Run the center wire of the socket to the hot wire on the starter and the ground wire to ground, again on the starter, which would be +. They're an accurate speedometer and trip meter.

Bruce,Upstate NY 07-09-2013 09:21 PM

Re: It depends some yesy some no

OOPS, Did I get that wiring backwards! The center wire goes to Ford ground (+) and the ground wire on the socket goes to hot on the starter. That sound better?

eagle 07-09-2013 09:49 PM

One more chiming in, MAKE SURE THE POLARITY IS CORRECT! No second chances. Reversing the polarity WILL destroy either the power supply, the GPS, or both. Not trying to yell here, just make sure. I deal in commercial electronic products and its amazing how many times people reverse the polarity and, yes, its usually trash when that happens. The electronics of today are amazingly resilient to most forms of abuse, however not that form.

QGolden 07-09-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 685742)
The electronics of today are amazingly resilient to most forms of abuse, however not that form.

You are right, and all it would take is a Diode in the negative (ground) circuit to protect the device.

Napa Skip 07-09-2013 10:57 PM

Or, sacre bleu!, convert to a negative ground system...

Tom Wesenberg 07-10-2013 05:24 AM

Speaking of GPS, I saw some good deals on several at the pawn shop the other day. I'm still using my AMCOR that I bought about 6 years ago, and yes, it works fine on 6 volts.

eagle 07-10-2013 09:50 AM

BTW. When buying a GPS, always go with a model that includes LTM. Thats Life Time Maps. Otherwise the map upgrades are quite expensive.

CarlG 07-10-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 685941)
BTW. When buying a GPS, always go with a model that includes LTM. Thats Life Time Maps. Otherwise the map upgrades are quite expensive.

Last time I was in this situation, it was cheaper to buy a new unit with LTM than to update the maps in my old unit.

CarlG 07-10-2013 11:25 AM

For you guys that have a GPS in your Model A, what do you use for a mount?

John Butts in CT 07-10-2013 12:06 PM

My Garmin NUVI has a realistic battery life of about 8 hours, so why add more electrical clutter to the "A?"

I use a suction cup mount on the windshield.

Slightly off topic, but related...I feel the same way about my "sound system."

My Ipod touch with long battery life... pumping through a cheap omni-directional speaker with its own long battery life... both tucked into an old cigar box on the floor. Open the lid and I have instant access to my entire music library, including 15 hours of period music (great for when I pull up to the bank drive-in).

At the end of the day, everything recharges in the house, although, in a pinch, I could also power everything for about 11 additional hours via USB connection to my laptop.

I suppose my point is that I see no compelling reason to modify my "A" for 2013 technology.

In 30 years, someone else would just have to tear out all of the modifications to accommodate some other accessory as yet undreamed of (which would prompt a lot of posts about mystery wires and holes in the firewall and dash rail).

I'll stick with external battery power:)

w.michael 07-10-2013 10:54 PM

If you use a suction cup mount on the windshield, and if you swing the windshield out, and when (not if) the suction cup lets go . . ..

You need to use some type of tether on the device.

Don't ask me how I know.

W.Michael

Jim/GA 07-10-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 686010)
For you guys that have a GPS in your Model A, what do you use for a mount?

My Garmin came with a suction cup mount that sticks to the inside of the windshield glass, directly above the gas gauge. My navigator can reach it there and I can see it easily.

It is easily removed when I arrive and stashed out of sight (or not -- depending on my mood).