The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Unique Flathead Jack Parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321140)

Shoebox 12-05-2022 06:22 PM

Unique Flathead Jack Parts

Whether you liked the guy or not, Flathead Jacks catalogs over the years featured a lot of parts, many of them familiar to us, but also many unique or not found elsewhere. I have often wondered where he sourced or who he had produce them. He listed a nice crankshaft pulley machined from 6061 T6 in both wide and narrow belt, I had one on an 8ba, it was perfection. Also a chrome cylinder head acorn nut (not a cover) said it was a "chrome reproduction of Henry's original" I had a set of those too, haven't seen them offered elsewhere. Paging through his catalogs was always fun, often I found parts that I hadn't even known I needed. Just wondered if anyone had similar experience OR know where some of his neat stuff came from?

Krylon32 12-05-2022 06:31 PM

Re: Unique Flathead Jack Parts

I bought a lot of parts from Jack and had a personal relationship with him through the Flathead parts I produced. On the current Flathead I had built I have acorn huts from ARP

Ken/Alabama 12-05-2022 09:10 PM

I’ve got a Potvin cam and a set of adjustable lifters that came from him.

Shoebox 12-05-2022 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krylon32 (Post 2186545)
I bought a lot of parts from Jack and had a personal relationship with him through the Flathead parts I produced. On the current Flathead I had built I have acorn huts from ARP

I too got to know him a bit, I always called orders in because he ALWAYS was the one answering the phone, was great opportunity to ask questions or BS with him. One time, after completing an 8ba that I had purchased many parts from him, including a new 4" stroke crank, I asked for him to send me his latest catalog, and he said sure, that will be 12 bucks. I raised a stink but said send me the catalog and charge me if you must. He sent me the catalog no charge with this inscription on the cover (see attached pic), that was Jack.

Ken/Alabama 12-05-2022 09:38 PM

Just curious, I know his business is gone but is he still living? I talked to him a few times way back when .

petehoovie 12-05-2022 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 2186583)
I too got to know him a bit, I always called orders in because he ALWAYS was the one answering the phone, was great opportunity to ask questions or BS with him. One time, after completing an 8ba that I had purchased many parts from him, including a new 4" stroke crank, I asked for him to send me his latest catalog, and he said sure, that will be 12 bucks. I raised a stink but said send me the catalog and charge me if you must. He sent me the catalog no charge with this inscription on the cover (see attached pic), that was Jack.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...9&d=1670293561

Shoebox 12-06-2022 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 2186584)
Just curious, I know his business is gone but is he still living? I talked to him a few times way back when .

I can not say with certainty, but I believe he is still with us. Not too long ago there was an offering for some high end adjustable lifters called Jax Lifters which I believe he was involved with,..... but I could be wrong, my wife says I am frequently.

Tim Ayers 12-06-2022 08:21 AM

I loved those catalogs. Still have a few. It is surprising to me that no one picked up his business.

tubman 12-06-2022 09:02 AM

I too, liked the catalogs and poured over them for hours. I never bought anything from him because of his prices.

wga 12-06-2022 09:43 AM

Jack prior to the flathead biz, had an art gallery in Walnut Creek, Ca. His 'warehouse' and office were located in the same area. I'd trade T shirts and woodie posters with him.
His showroom had a two beautiful flatheads with all the shiny bits on them, blocks were painted white. He would always answer the phone, got in early to take care of the east coast calls.

sidevalve8ba 12-06-2022 09:51 AM

I wonder whatever happened to that twin-engine dragster that was in his catalogs?

19Fordy 12-06-2022 10:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
In 1996 I wrote Jack an unsolicited letter complimenting him on his cool flamed Mercury. To my surprise he responded with this free catalog with price list. He made excellent products. Hope he is well.

Krylon32 12-06-2022 12:18 PM

First time I was a vendor at Good Guys in Pleasanton I was selling my T5 to Flathead kit and my 348/409 water pump to Flathead kit. Jack walked by my booth a few times and finally he couldn't help himself he had to comment and all he said (blastfimy it's just blastfimy)

petehoovie 12-06-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2186663)
In 1996 I wrote Jack an unsolicited letter complimenting him on his cool flamed Mercury. To my surprise he responded with this free catalog with price list. He made excellent products. Hope he is well.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1670340204

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1670340712

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1670340712

drolston 12-06-2022 01:43 PM

Valves (with the notch in the right place), guides (the reduced profile version), and lifters for my 284 build came from Flathead Jack. It took a few sessions of MMO down the carb to get those valves unstuck after sitting for a few weeks, but now they are properly broken in and work perfectly. I miss the clever catalog!

Flathead 12-07-2022 07:37 PM

He even shared his chili recipe, I made some it was real good. :)

Krylon32 12-07-2022 08:55 PM

Possibly the dragster was put in a museum?

sidevalve8ba 12-08-2022 08:32 AM

You could share that chili recipe with the rest of us! I'm a big fan of chili, especially in cool weather. :D

Shoebox 12-08-2022 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba (Post 2187240)
You could share that chili recipe with the rest of us! I'm a big fan of chili, especially in cool weather. :D

Here ya go!

Flathead 12-08-2022 11:41 AM

Yep that's it. Now for the arguments on whether or not "real" chili has beans. :)