The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Where next (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189554)

roh1332 02-19-2016 01:35 AM

Where next

I have recently acquired a 1928 model A closed cab pick up. It was running about 4 years ago. I can get it to turn over now with a new battery, but won't turn over. Any thoughts on where to go next, carburetor or distributor? just trouble shooting. Will eventually get both fixed up. Thanks.

Lycoming-8 02-19-2016 01:40 AM

Re: Where next

In the last part of the second sentence above, I asume you mean it won't Fire. Is that correct? If so, the fuel, and ignition systems are both suspect at this point.

Tom Wesenberg 02-19-2016 01:53 AM

Points often need to be cleaned after setting unused for a period of time. Don't jump in and start changing parts, do some diagnostic checks first. Hold the coil wire 1/4" from a head nut and see if you get a hot blue spark.

Next pull the choke while you crank a couple revolutions to see if gas will run out the carb intake.

My guess is you just need to clean the points contacts. If you don't get a good spark, then stop the engine with the points open, then short the contacts with a screwdriver to see if you now get a hot spark. This will verify that the contacts need to be cleaned.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-19-2016 10:36 AM

If it has spark, a couple of POOFS with starting fluid will tell you if its' NOT getting fuel.
Bill W.

1Tudoor 02-19-2016 10:52 AM

All of the above & not a bad idea to remove the plugs & see what they look like ---clean them w/ a brass brush & re gap if needed. At the same time put a small amount of oil in the cylinders to help compression & lubrication .
BTW, that's a nice looking PU !

captndan 02-19-2016 11:46 AM

After sitting four years bad fuel is the first suspect. Drain all fuel including the carb and start fresh. Then go to the distributer like the others have said.

captndan 02-19-2016 11:52 AM

Another thought. I had one like that and started fresh. Ran fine but after a couple miles it died. Seems the fresh fuel loosened the crud in the tank and it plugged a 'new' fuel filter.

Sunnybrook Farm 02-19-2016 01:07 PM

Mine would barely turn over, just wouldn't go fast enough to do anything. I eventually found that the water pump had practically locked up and was like a brake. It probably would have cranked over normally had I took the belt off.

1955cj5 02-19-2016 06:10 PM

One more thing to keep in mind...

When we pulled my pickup out of the barn last spring after some years sitting it would not fire...but it cranked over fine

There was no power at the points, and this was traced to faulty ignition switch...

It is not a pop-out switch, just an aftermarket switch. Checked it with a meter and found it would work at about half way between on and off......the old A fired right up..!

C26Pinelake 02-19-2016 06:37 PM

Drain the gasoline and use it to burn stumps. After four years it is garbage. Wayne

roh1332 02-20-2016 12:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. Gives me some starting points.