The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   V8 water pump (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103486)

Brendan 04-16-2013 07:07 AM

V8 water pump

The water pump on my 29 Roadster with an A motor just went out. I bought the car about a month a go. so is there a place that I can get a new water pump with the pulley set up on it. their is also a Clings serpentine belt and fan on it also. can you help ne out? thanks, Brendan

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-16-2013 07:58 AM

Re: V8 water pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 633476)
The water pump on my 29 Roadster with an A motor just went out. I bought the car about a month a go. so is there a place that I can get a new water pump with the pulley set up on it. their is also a Clings serpentine belt and fan on it also. can you help ne out? thanks, Brendan

Brendan, when you said "it went out", ....exactly what does that mean? Did it start leaking? Did it break in half??

I also am not sure if you have a V-8 pump with an adapter or a regular-style Model-A pump. Generally speaking, if a serpentine belt is used on a regular Model-A pump, the natural tendency is to tighten the belt too tight which ruins the front bearing on the pump. With that said, I also do not see a value in a serpentine set-up. I do see the value in a race car application where parasitic Hp draw is a factor but when the original belt is properly installed, the Hp consumed is negligible and the water pump wear is all but eliminated. Might I suggest if possible that you revert the system back to an original style pump, fan, and belt system.

Mike V. Florida 04-16-2013 08:13 AM

http://www.vintageford.com/Products/05733.jpg
Sacramento Vintage Ford Pt number 5733

Tom Wesenberg 04-16-2013 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Brent, and an original pump is easy to rebuild. I rebuilt mine about 15 years ago and have been running it for the past ten years without leaking a single drop.

Last fall, after the vinegar rust removal treatment, I installed a rear bushing with the seal in the back of it. This will keep the grease and antifreeze from mixing with each other.

My old used temporary engine had an accumulation of rust in the rear of the block. After years of running many of the rust flakes came loose and plugged the radiator until coolant came out the overflow. I also installed a drier sock to trap any future rust that may be remaining, but I feel confident that 30 days of running pure white vinegar got rid of the rust.:)

richard orlandi 04-17-2013 09:54 AM

Brendan, How about using the whole V8 Motor instead
of only one V8 water pump ? Then you would have an A-V8 .
Rich ..............

BRENT in 10-uh-C 04-17-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard orlandi (Post 634158)
Rich ..............

....and the benefit would be??? :rolleyes:

Kirby1374 04-17-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 634200)
....and the benefit would be??? :rolleyes:

better water pump.........lol :D

Brendan 04-17-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 633496)
Brendan, when you said "it went out", ....exactly what does that mean? Did it start leaking? Did it break in half??

I also am not sure if you have a V-8 pump with an adapter or a regular-style Model-A pump. Generally speaking, if a serpentine belt is used on a regular Model-A pump, the natural tendency is to tighten the belt too tight which ruins the front bearing on the pump. With that said, I also do not see a value in a serpentine set-up. I do see the value in a race car application where parasitic Hp draw is a factor but when the original belt is properly installed, the Hp consumed is negligible and the water pump wear is all but eliminated. Might I suggest if possible that you revert the system back to an original style pump, fan, and belt system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard orlandi (Post 634158)
Rich ..............

I got a good 37 motor in my shop!

Brendan 04-17-2013 06:47 PM

so what do you guys think about the V8 pump , have other guys had trouble with them?
can you let me know? their is about 1/4 inch of play in the pump the bushing failed

Brendan 04-17-2013 07:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hope this helps

Brendan 04-29-2013 06:47 PM

i wont to put on a Model A water pump on my car, so where can i get a Cling serpentine pulley for a Model A pump? i don't wont to change all my pulleys . can you guys help me Thanks Brendan

Brendan 04-29-2013 07:33 PM

so what do you think!

Tom Wesenberg 04-29-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 641936)
i wont to put on a Model A water pump on my car, so where can i get a Cling serpentine pulley for a Model A pump? i don't wont to change all my pulleys . can you guys help me Thanks Brendan

Are you saying that right now all the other pulleys are serpentine?

gwhite 04-29-2013 08:04 PM

Call Cling's and see if they'll sell you one. They make a kit "KIT B" for stock Model A with alternator - https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=32

And I'm still interested in that Cyclone pump adapter :)

Brendan 04-29-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 642005)
Are you saying that right now all the other pulleys are serpentine?

yes, all the pulleys are serpentine. I would like to just change the water pump and the water pump pulley

Brendan 04-29-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwhite (Post 642014)
Call Cling's and see if they'll sell you one. They make a kit "KIT B" for stock Model A with alternator - https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=32

And I'm still interested in that Cyclone pump adapter :)

I have called and left massages and tried to Email them and the address is no good!

Mike V. Florida 04-29-2013 10:14 PM

What other belts do you have on the engine that you want to match them?

Brendan 04-29-2013 10:22 PM

the crank pulley and the pulley on the alternator, are serpentine also the one for the V8 water pump. I would like to get a serpentine pulley for a Model A water pump. I bought a V8 pump from Dennis Carpenter but the shaft is to big and the housing is very different from the old pump, after reading and thinking about this I think that a model A pump is the way to go. but I just wont to change the pulley on the water pump

quickchange 04-29-2013 10:26 PM

I have spare v8 pumps, spare adapters, one has adapter with v8 pump & plastic fan.
Looking at your set up has correct belt to run orig A pump,

Bob C 05-02-2013 06:10 PM

The email in the newest Restorer is [email protected]