The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who's running a Mitchell Transmission? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21064)

JunkOSC 11-21-2010 11:51 AM

Who's running a Mitchell Transmission?

I see Mitchell makes a synchronized transmission that has gears cut with a 15% higher ratio for better top end performance. What does that mean in real life? Would you say that adds 5 mph to performance?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Renorust 11-21-2010 12:29 PM

Re: Who's running a Mitchell Transmission?

I have been running a Mitchell synchro transmission this summer and can report the following:
* There are three ratio options - original, 2nd @ 15% higher and reverse 2nd and 1st @ 15% higher. Top end speed will remain the same for all options. Acceleration from lights and in traffic is improved with the higher ratio 1st and 2nd and by synchro assissted shifting.
* The main feature is synchro for 2nd and 3rd. Shifting is a breeze both up and down as you would expect. External box is stock so no unusual views when you look under the car or in the cabin.
* Installation was as explained in the literature that comes with the unit. No problems or special fabrication required.
* On road performance live up to the claims. Quick, smooth shifts, no jumping out of gear on acceleration or decelleration, no oil leaks. Two year warranty.
* Dealing with Mitchell was straightforward. On time delivery. Good crating of the unit. No surprises, none of the "oh by the way..." stuff.
* Give them a call if you have further interest and get the story first hand.

Dick So. Cal. 11-21-2010 02:14 PM

I, too, purchased a Mitchell tranny for my Cabriolet. The reason was is that my wife could not get the non-syncro shifting thing down pat.
I bought the 15% low and second and the ratios are great. High is the same, 1:1.
I have driven non-syncro for 50 years and I kinda miss the mind-game, if you will, of driving the original set-up smoothly. It was a challange to do it correctly and I liked the challange.
The new set-up is a breeze. No challenge. Get in and drive. I do have to admit that on a recent Palos Verdes CA road rallye, the syncros made it easy in the hills and the gear ratios helped a lot.
It was a no brainer to install. Straight removal and installation. Easy.
All in all, I say go for it!
Dick Wyckoff

Glenn C. 11-21-2010 07:57 PM

We have two Model A's with Mitchell transmissions with no problems. Do like that synchro between 2nd and 3rd.

Cajun 11-22-2010 08:16 AM

I am running a Mitchell synchro in line with a Mitchell OD in a speedster. Works great! This combination allows for a shift from second as high as 50 MPH.

Glenn of northport 11-22-2010 04:15 PM

I have 2 Mitchel they are easy to drive down shifting is great ,I plan on giving my model A cars to my grandkids this will make them easy to drive.

dr.j 11-22-2010 04:53 PM

So am I correct to assume from 1st to 3rd gear no double clutch required and no double clutch from 3rd to 2nd?

Can I assume you must double clutch to 1st from 2nd gear if moving or be stopped to go into 1st gear?

JunkOSC 11-22-2010 05:59 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I have been doing more research, I think I'm going to go this my stock tranny and install the Michell OD. They seem to be very reliable and work well under stock conditions.

My goal here is on the weekends to be able to take the car on the freeway so I can get across town to see friends/family and attend events. The foot print of the metro Phoenix area is HUGE and keeps getting larger.

br,
Tim

30Tudor 11-22-2010 06:51 PM

If you install the Overdrive, you can use it to more easily downshift your stock transmission as well. Its a bit of work with the hands as you put the OD in neutral when you shift between third and second gears.

Tom Wesenberg 11-22-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.j (Post 115944)
So am I correct to assume from 1st to 3rd gear no double clutch required and no double clutch from 3rd to 2nd?

Can I assume you must double clutch to 1st from 2nd gear if moving or be stopped to go into 1st gear?

Correct!

jerry shook 11-25-2010 06:46 AM

I have one in my 30 coupe best thing i have done . GREAT.

Cabrioletdave 11-22-2014 07:45 PM

Is your Mitchell transmission still running great?

Ford1931 11-22-2014 08:07 PM

I put the 15% first and second gear Mitchell in my slant window four door. I like the easy upshift and downshift and use the motor more and the brakes less. I will be putting the Mitchell 26% overdrive in over the winter with the 3.54 gears in the rear end. I have a touring motor with the Burlington crank, Stipe cam and Snyders 5.5 head. I am hoping the combination will give me more flexibility on various roads, keep the rpms down and have the ability to drive on the interstate should I want.

bettlesr 11-22-2014 08:39 PM

You should not have to double clutch from 1st to 2nd as both 2nd and 3rd have synchros

JohnLaVoy 11-22-2014 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the Summer Tour last year one of the participants broke their original transmission the first day. We called Mitchell and they brought a syncro trans to the convention and Steve Mitchell (pictured) even helped with the install. Nice transmission and great people to deal with.

pgerhardt 11-22-2014 10:18 PM

I am planning on putting a mitchell transmission in my 29 tudor. While I know I can buy one through the big 3 parts dealers, I would rather deal directly with the Mitchells rather than have them have to share the profit with a reseller. Does anyone have an email address or phone number for them.
Thanks in advance.

arnhemmer 01-26-2015 01:10 PM

Mitchell manufacturing 1157 Parker St. Colusa Ca 95932 1-800-859-2088

CarlG 01-26-2015 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

modelAtony 01-27-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy (Post 985841)
On the Summer Tour last year one of the participants broke their original transmission the first day. We called Mitchell and they brought a syncro trans to the convention and Steve Mitchell (pictured) even helped with the install. Nice transmission and great people to deal with.

Mr John, that looks like one of them TEAM ROPIN RODEO COWBOYS there. Great bunch of people, Late mr. Glenn, wife miss sue, son Stephen, wife cindy and their son Spencer PRCA TEAM ROPER like Grand pa, and dad. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA

ttoldcarbuff7 10-29-2015 05:19 PM

Everyone seems happy with the Mitchell, but is there anyone who wishes they didn't swap out to a Mitchell? I am just trying to get a feel before dropping big dollars.