The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Worst Cars of All Time (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265114)

chrs1961815 06-19-2019 08:54 AM

Worst Cars of All Time

Not completely Model A related, but I found this article when searching for pictures of engine compartments. Conclusion: This guy hates cars.

https://time.com/4723114/50-worst-cars-of-all-time/

(The T gets ripped)

40 Deluxe 06-19-2019 09:00 AM

Re: Worst Cars of All Time

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrs1961815 (Post 1769163)
Not completely Model A related, but I found this article when searching for pictures of engine compartments. Conclusion: This guy hates cars.

https://time.com/4723114/50-worst-cars-of-all-time/

(The T gets ripped)

He sounds like an ignorant high school drop-out still living in his mommy's basement!

fordwife 06-19-2019 09:14 AM

This guy obviously has little or no car experience.of I would bet that he has never rode in, driven or even seen most of these cars.

chrs1961815 06-19-2019 09:20 AM

And he is a "pullitzer prize-winning automotive critic"... it is this kind of stuff that turns people away from the hobby.

1930artdeco 06-19-2019 10:53 AM

Although does make some valid points. Some village someplace is short a person.......

Mike

mike657894 06-19-2019 11:15 AM

having worked on a wide variety of modern cars. I could list fifty worse than everyone of those. where will the sunfires caviliers aspires achivas shyhawks fiestas focus's traverse equinox and many others be in 100+ years.

i read the list the aztec belongs on there.

Kurt in NJ 06-19-2019 11:48 AM

Look a Holden crash test----- it takes innovative engineering to be able to have the trunk lid crumple in a frontal barrier crash

jhowes 06-19-2019 12:12 PM

I think we are being a bit critical. I haven't laughed so much in sometime. His humor was refreshing. "Rolling roadblock", Not as fast as the Rose bowl parade" etc.

Tom Wesenberg 06-19-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike657894 (Post 1769213)
having worked on a wide variety of modern cars. I could list fifty worse than everyone of those. where will the sunfires caviliers aspires achivas shyhawks fiestas focus's traverse equinox and many others be in 100+ years.

I too was glad to see the Aztec listed. That was one ugly vehicle, and fits right in with the Gremlin and Pacer.

goodcar 06-19-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike657894 (Post 1769213)

Don't forger Ford Taurus, a true throw away after 50k miles, head gaskets, transmissions, motor mounts. Otherwise a really nice car, had 2 at the same time 92 and a 93. Kept me in the poor house for quite awhile.

Will N 06-19-2019 12:29 PM

The author is one of those Green New Deal believers. Look what his take on the Model T is: " [it] conferred to Americans the notion of automobility as something akin to natural law, a right endowed by our Creator. A century later, the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up, from the air over our cities to the sand under our soldiers’ boots." Nothing about its significance as an automobile, just how it put us on the path to environmental ruin. This moron has as much right to write about automobiles as I have to write about colonoscopies. He hates cars, I hate colonoscopies, he knows nothing about cars, I know nothing about colonoscopies, he thinks cars are a necessary evil and I think colonoscopies are a necessary evil.

Oldbluoval 06-19-2019 12:29 PM

I’m not a T guy but have had buddies that were/are
Their skinny on the 09 T was that the engine was totally unreliable
Most were replaced in the first 5 years making the 09 engine a real rarity to find today
By 14 Ford had a much better engine....I hear

30 Closed Cab PU 06-19-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodcar (Post 1769233)
Don't forger Ford Taurus, a true throw away after 50k miles, head gaskets, transmissions, motor mounts. Otherwise a really nice car, had 2 at the same time 92 and a 93. Kept me in the poor house for quite awhile.

You brought back a lot of bad memories, had a early 90s Taurus shortly after getting married. Same thing - repairs kept it so I could not afford to trade it off for a different car. Hydraulic motor mount, alternator, water pump, radiator, air conditioning compressor, thermostat, worn out front end, window regulators, gas sending unit, etc. All within 50 -75,000 miles on the odometer.

It was a nice driving car when it was not in the shop. No issues with motor or tranny, brakes - just everything else. POS

mfarley 06-19-2019 02:23 PM

Did people in 1958 really think the Edsel's grille resembled lady parts? Never in a million years would I have thought of that...

chrs1961815 06-19-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfarley (Post 1769288)
Did people in 1958 really think the Edsel's grille resembled lady parts? Never in a million years would I have thought of that...

I thought the same thing, I have never heard or even thought of that. Of course me and the author were not even born yet, but really!

denis4x4 06-19-2019 04:13 PM

Dan Neil jumped from the LA Times, where he won a Pulitzer, to the WSJ. Like most automotive writers when they write something for the non automotive media, he took money from TIME with his tongue deeply embedded in his cheek. His weekly reviews in the WSJ are must reading every Saturday as are the interviews with owners of unusual cars on Wednesday.

Tom Wesenberg 06-19-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfarley (Post 1769288)

You're absolutely right.
I remember when the Edsel came out, and people referred to it as a horse collar.

veggie 06-20-2019 09:15 AM

Hi All
Basically, you get what you pay for.

Oldbluoval 06-20-2019 09:35 AM

"Back when" it was known as a "Ford sucking a lemon"!!
They were not that bad of car just too much change and too much bling at the time.
Maybe like "New Coke"?????

54vicky 06-20-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldbluoval (Post 1769497)
"Back when" it was known as a "Ford sucking a lemon"!!
They were not that bad of car just too much change and too much bling at the time.
Maybe like "New Coke"?????

the term was an olds sucking a lemon