The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood Issues (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167233)

Franchise_24 04-25-2015 08:53 AM

Hood Issues

I recently replaced my radiator with a new one, and I put it on and got it mounted, and got my chrome shell put back on. When I put my hood back on it doesn't seem to sit right now. I have a quail cap on and I had to take it off because the hood wouldn't open all the way because it was hitting the back of the quail. I thought the radiator needs to move forward some, but with the fan blade, there isn't much room to pull it forward. When I took the quail cap off and used a regular radiator cap the hood opens and closes, but when it is closed it doesn't sit right towards the front where the radiator is. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions I could try?

Thanks,
Neal

Mitch//pa 04-25-2015 09:47 AM

Re: Hood Issues

where is the radiator from?
if it fit before it should fit now

asapguy 04-25-2015 10:00 AM

Is it possible you have a 30-31 frame under a 28-29 body?? The radiator mounting area on the front cross member for a 30-31 frame is lower then a 28-28 frame. Did you mount the new rad. using the same pads or shims as the old rad?? This can be corrected by adding extra pads under the rad. mounts. Just a thought.

ericr 04-25-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchise_24 (Post 1075123)
I recently replaced my radiator with a new one, and I put it on and got it mounted, and got my chrome shell put back on. When I put my hood back on it doesn't seem to sit right now. I have a quail cap on and I had to take it off because the hood wouldn't open all the way because it was hitting the back of the quail. I thought the radiator needs to move forward some, but with the fan blade, there isn't much room to pull it forward. When I took the quail cap off and used a regular radiator cap the hood opens and closes, but when it is closed it doesn't sit right towards the front where the radiator is. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions I could try?

Thanks,
Neal

I have no solutions but shared in your problem: when I installed a repro quail on my '29, the tail hit the hood despite an original radiator and original shell and proper shims. I have since wondered if there are different quality quails out there or if they are all Vintique. Maybe someone knows.....

Franchise_24 04-25-2015 11:49 AM

It's the right frame, and it's the heavy duty radiator from Snyders. I got all new pads and mounting hardware for it. Should I try to shim it up a little higher so I can pull it forward some so it doesn't hit my quail?

TerryH 04-25-2015 12:41 PM

I have a repro quail and it works just fine......no clearance problems at all.

Tom Wesenberg 04-25-2015 01:03 PM

Need pictures. Pictures showing the hood to radiator and cowl fit would help.:)

I don't understand the relationship of shimming the radiator UP, and moving it forward?:confused:
Can't you just adjust the 4 nuts on the radiator support rods to move the radiator forward.

BILL WILLIAMSON 04-25-2015 05:50 PM

Chief, my Dad, (RIP) might say, "Aligning a hood through the Internet, is like havin' sex by telephone"!
Bill W.

1931 flamingo 04-25-2015 06:27 PM

"I thought the radiator needs to move forward some, but with the fan blade, there isn't much room to pull it forward."

I don' understand?? If you move the radiator forward the distance between it and the fan INCREASES> Me thinks the radiator rods are not adj correctly.

Yes, I know you said from Snyder's but is this a Walker radiator??
Paul in CT

mhsprecher 04-25-2015 06:55 PM

I had similar problems when I installed a new to me Brassworks radiator. I don't have a quail, but the hood fit is all off and the hood hooks don't line up well. One day when I have time and patience, I will try and get it properly aligned.

ddweave 04-26-2015 11:32 AM

Could Franchise_24 be saying that if he pulls the top of the radiator forward that the fan will hit the radiator neck and/or the top hose?

Franchise_24 04-26-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddweave (Post 1075776)
Could Franchise_24 be saying that if he pulls the top of the radiator forward that the fan will hit the radiator neck and/or the top hose?

Yeah that is part of it. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow and get them online for you all to see.

Tom Wesenberg 04-26-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddweave (Post 1075776)

OK, thanks for that. Now it makes sense, and seems to be a common problem with certain repro radiators.

That's why I like the core from Berg's and use my original tanks and frame.

zzlegend 04-26-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1075434)
Chief, my Dad, (RIP) might say, "Aligning a hood through the Internet, is like havin' sex by telephone"!
Bill W.

Now that's funny and very true. ;)