The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Introducion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258173)

Werner 01-25-2019 04:34 PM

Introducion

2 Attachment(s)
Hello dear oldtimer friends.

For several weeks I use this forum here. At home there are few connoisseurs.

I bought my '28 Roadster in November from a dealer. He bought the car from 'Classic Car Auctions' (Florida or California).

I still have a 1947 "Gangster" limousine. The Citroen 11 CV. He is restored exactly. So it will be my "A" too.

In the 70's, I was in quality control at Ford factory. (At that time the same key was used for the oil screw in the rear axle as in the "A"!)

One of my problems is that I'm overly ambitious when restoring. But I always get the old patina or I do make it like old.

It is very nice, how well one here in this forum is helped.

Good cooperations! (My English is not good.)

Wrote 5 books about model engines. Other hobbies are flying big model airplanes,. As co flying airplanes (Cessna 140, C 172 Rocket, JoDel R 400). Amazonas & salt water tanks. (Aquarium).

Jacksonlll 01-25-2019 04:51 PM

Re: Introducion

Welcome aboard.

Jacksonlll 01-25-2019 05:03 PM

Werner. Check your private messages.

loubob 01-25-2019 07:27 PM

Welcome.

Gary WA 01-25-2019 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome! Very nice Auto!

Chuck Dempsey 01-25-2019 07:33 PM

Welcome, and don't worry about your English. In school, we learn that the first 'rule' of English is - 'there are no rules'..... Good Luck!

Brad in Germany 01-25-2019 09:43 PM

Hallo Werner: Herzlich Willkommen bei Ford Barn!

Brad (in Maryland)

daveymc29 01-25-2019 11:03 PM

Willkommen. Ich haben auch eine 1929 roadster. Nicht sehr gut, Ihnen hat besser.

Jim/GA 01-26-2019 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome!

Your roadster colors are like my 1929 car.

denniskliesen 01-26-2019 05:24 PM

Jim, What is the name of color on your Phaeton?

Jim M 01-26-2019 05:30 PM

Werner,

Welcome to the Forum. I have a 29 Roadster - my first real antique car. I was into old tractors, mainly John Deere and old make and break engines. Sold all that stuff when we retired to Florida but not the Model A. I also flew model airplanes control line for many years and still do occasionally. I am learning more about the Model A every day and enjoying it. Sounds like we have a lot in common. Don't hesitate to PM with a question. I enjoy the comradery ! Jim

Werner 01-26-2019 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Oldies!

It is very nice for me to be so kindly welcomed. It seems that Germany is not unpopular. Elvis Presley enjoyed it, and Peggy March lives in Munich too.

Now it is midnight in Central Europe; good night.

Jim/GA 01-26-2019 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by denniskliesen (Post 1720314)
Jim, What is the name of color on your Phaeton?

That is a Balsam Green body with Valley Green belt.

The yellow train depot building changes the hue of the green in the photo a bit.

Here's another photo of the same car in a setting with green and brown behind it, and without direct light on it. It improves the look of the green.

Werner 01-31-2019 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello at all.

Sometimes I want to write something about how I feel about my roadster.

It was bought by a dealer: http://www.classic-carauction.com/se...auctionid=9188

I bought it in Germany in November. Unfortunately, the previous owner hid, he does not want to have any contact. I can not understand that and find that very sad. I like to hear old stories and pictes of the car's live in the past.

I stripped the car and preserved it with Ardrox AV 15. This is a special very thin transparent corrosion protection wax used by Boeing and airbus. At the moment I am still working on the rear axle. New spring, new dampers, fixed brakes. That will take one week I think & hope.

77Birdman 01-31-2019 04:04 PM

Nice looking cars Werner. They are the universal language. My brother has some very close friends in Germany and he vacations there every couple of years. His wife is Canadian and she was working there when he met her.

Brentwood Bob 01-31-2019 08:01 PM

Welcome. Beautiful car.

midgetracer 02-01-2019 12:07 AM

Hi Werner,
I love your Citroen. I worked as a civilian chemist in Frankfort AM in the early 70s for the US Army Criminal Investigation Lab. I saw a few of the Citreons like yours hiding out in back alley garages and always wanted to buy one, but never accomplished that dream. They remind me of my 1934 Ford. I would still love to find one, but I have never seen one for sale in the US.

jhowes 02-01-2019 09:54 AM

Welcome; You have a beautiful car.You mentioned that you like to preserve the patina on old things. Could you explain a little about that. I am currently doing a PU that I would like to keep the rust look and avoid painting it . Thanks in advance. Jack

Robert/Texas 02-01-2019 10:27 AM

Werner, is that a German Shorthair? I have one of those. She is 13 years old and the same color as yours. I also have a '28 roadster but it is not nearly as nice looking as yours. I was stationed in your country for 17 months in the late 50's, Pirmasens (near Kaiserslautern) where I learned some German and can still speak and understand some.

Werner 02-01-2019 01:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hello Jack.

I did not understand that sentense exactly. What does "make PU" mean? Is this PU varnish spray painting?

I try to get the old paint. If some must painted new, I "sand" very, verry fine after curing with the finest corund wet sandpaper (grain 2000) dull gloss. Then comes hard wax. Then the paint would polished. This gives a silky sheen, as if with great effort the much decades old nitrolack was maintained.

The Citroen I sanded and polished the whole car again. The Roadster does not have to be painted. He has no rust. But many "Katschen" (small chipped areas on the edges). I dab it with a fine brush. No more.

I want to see that the car is over 90 years old. No want a wedding car.
---

Guten Tag Robert,

Quote:

Werner is this a German Shorthair?
No, it is my wife!

Or do you mean the dog? The dog was rescued from a killing station in Greece. A mixture with something "Münsterländer".
Near Kaiserslautern is the Air Base Ramstein. The largest of Europe.

Ich wünsche Dir und Euch ein schönes Wochenende!