The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cast iron surface rust removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297377)

russcc 04-16-2021 07:49 AM

Cast iron surface rust removal

I have several NOS cast iron parts with some very light surface rust on them in places. Is there a solution that could be applied, and rinsed off that would remove most of the light rust to save some elbow grease ?

51 MERC-CT 04-16-2021 07:53 AM

Re: Cast iron surface rust removal

(c-l-r) calcium-lime-rust

KiWinUS 04-16-2021 08:26 AM

RUST 911
I have now used gallons of this stuff as it’s amazing.

32phil 04-16-2021 08:38 AM

Evapo Rust works like a charm
I use it for small parts in a small heated ultrasonic cleaning tank. Works amazingly fast and well.
Be careful with pot metal and aluminum parts. It may erode some of those items .

rockfla 04-16-2021 09:28 AM

Ballistol

marko39 04-16-2021 10:46 AM

Muratic acid. Neutralize with baking soda.

tubman 04-16-2021 11:03 AM

It depends on the size. If they are small enough to immerse in a container of Evaporust or Rust-911 (which is cheaper but doesn't seem to work as well) without breaking the bank. that is the best way to go. Cleans them right up with no damage like acid or molasses might do.

If they're too big, I'm sure others will have some suggestions.

russcc 04-16-2021 11:07 AM

Thank you all. Some of these parts are NOS brake drums, exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads so spraying and neutralizing would be the best solution for these large bulky items.

hotrodcbx 04-16-2021 11:42 AM

I agree with Marko39!! I just found out about muriatic acid and it works great for rust and aluminum cleaning. I always dilute, about 4:1 or metal and 10:1 for aluminum. Keep an eye on your piece as this acid works relatively fast. Cheap too. Always rinse after with baking soda. Paint or oil coat ASAP as light rust can appear after treatment.

KiWinUS 04-16-2021 11:48 AM

I too have used Muratic acid many times. It is very dangerous but great for certain components. I like it for gas tanks. It can also flash rust as soon as it dries. Rust 911 is safe & environmentally friendly.

marko39 04-16-2021 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodcbx (Post 2007782)
I agree with Marko39!! I just found out about muriatic acid and it works great for rust and aluminum cleaning. I always dilute, about 4:1 or metal and 10:1 for aluminum. Keep an eye on your piece as this acid works relatively fast. Cheap too. Always rinse after with baking soda. Paint or oil coat ASAP as light rust can appear after treatment.

Parts will surface rust quickly after using muratic acid, I never used it mixed with water. I like to follow with a metal prep to prevent the rusting.

Kurt in NJ 04-16-2021 12:21 PM

What year brake drums??

Jack E/NJ 04-16-2021 12:37 PM

>>>I have several NOS cast iron parts with some very light surface rust on them in places.>>>

I'd probably leave them be and use them as is or maybe after a quick rubddown with a cloth & WD40. Jack E/NJ

deuce5wndw 04-16-2021 04:59 PM

Am I the only one that uses a TIP beadblast cabinet? Had mine 40 years and consider it a miracle tool!

RalphG 04-17-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce5wndw (Post 2007850)
Am I the only one that uses a TIP beadblast cabinet? Had mine 40 years and consider it a miracle tool!

I don't have a cabinet. Just a cheap little Princess Auto sand blast attachment for my air compressor. It works amazingly well on any old rusty parts. Great on cast iron like manifolds and heads. But it will take paint off too obviously so...

Krylon32 04-17-2021 10:14 AM

I use GIBBS. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off. If it's really tough I use a Scotch pad to wipe it off then a dry rag. A little cleanup with some wax and grease remover and I paint it.

34pickup 04-17-2021 01:13 PM

You could always go to the old molasses bath method. I have some parts soaking in some molasses now. Stuff comes out and you wash it and its gray just like new cast iron.

russcc 04-17-2021 05:31 PM

Thank you for the acid suggestion. Cut it, and sprayed it on the cast parts and did a good job of cleaning the surface rust off. Washed them off, and dunked them in a bath pf backing soda and water, and then sprayed it with WD-40 after.

Tinker 04-18-2021 01:41 AM

It'll rust again very quickly. Depending on the part and where you live, you will have to paint it quick. If its a exhaust manifold it'll rust no matter what you paint it with. Nature of the beast of heat.

If you are just storing nos parts in the garage, that'll work. Just dunk it in old motor oil every yr.

john in illinois 04-18-2021 07:03 AM

W D 40 is not a rust preventative. It soon breaks down.

Brookville Roadster uses "4 way oil" to protect bodies. If you do not get it all off it does not interfere with paint. I think it is like Gibbs which also works well but more expensive.

https://www.antiseize.com/all-purpos...enetrating-oil

John