The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   We live in truly amazing times! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290037)

moonraker 11-12-2020 02:04 AM

We live in truly amazing times!

A lot of younger folks take it for granted, but I keep on being amused by how modern technology advances make our lives easier. Not long ago I had a rare wind wing bracket broken on my '39 Fordor. I couldn't find that part anywhere and it was impossible to repair it. A friend told to have it made. I did some investigation and it turned out to be doable and not very expensive. 3D model cost me about $7 and manufacturing of the part - about $60. The most amazing part of this ordeal was that the manufacturer is located 3000 miles from me - I found a site where people post different parts needed to be manufactured (no matter how big or small, what material, quantity etc.) and interested factories, workshops or individuals reply and fulfill the task. My request was answered by an individual living in Siberia, we negotiated, I sent the model files, the part was manufactured, I paid and the part was shipped to me. The quality is very good and I'm completely satisfied.
P.S. I totally agree with Louis CK when he spoke how everything's amazing and nobody's happy. https://youtu.be/kBLkX2VaQs4

https://content.foto.my.mail.ru/mail...r/37/i-359.jpg

https://content.foto.my.mail.ru/mail...r/37/i-360.jpg

Mart 11-12-2020 03:43 AM

Re: We live in truly amazing times!

That's pretty cool and a bit of an eye-opener. I never knew that type of service was available.

msstring 11-12-2020 05:36 AM

Interesting fo sure. Never knew that Service was available. Can you post a link to the site?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

moonraker 11-12-2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msstring (Post 1951195)
Interesting fo sure. Never knew that Service was available. Can you post a link to the site?

Sorry I failed to mention my location - Russia. I don't think it would be useful for you in the US

51 MERC-CT 11-12-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 1951187)
I couldn't find that part anywhere and it was impossible to repair it.

Happy you found a solution but assuming that the part material is pot metal, there is a very effective method available to do such a repair.
I would mention the method but don't think it would be useful to you in Russia.

Merc Cruzer 11-12-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonraker (Post 1951197)
Sorry I failed to mention my location - Russia. I don't think it would be useful for you in the US

This is the country of, Henry Ford, the Dodge brothers, Harley & Davidson, why don't we have this kind of service?

54vicky 11-12-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 1951266)
This is the country of, Henry Ford, the Dodge brothers, Harley & Davidson, why don't we have this kind of service?

it would require a translator from chinese to english and vice versa

51 MERC-CT 11-12-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 1951266)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54vicky (Post 1951269)
it would require a translator from chinese to english and vice versa

Good grief, there are a number of companies in the US that provide 3D metal printing, and have done so for a number of years.

Merc Cruzer 11-12-2020 10:52 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1951276)
Good grief, there are a number of companies in the US that provide 3D metal printing, and have done so for a number of years.

Could you list a few please? I would like to get a few quotes to have a back up convertible top handle made. They are pot metal and do break easily, and rarely come up on e-bay.

Thank you.

51 MERC-CT 11-12-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 1951293)
Could you list a few please? I would like to get a few quotes to have a back up convertible top handle made. They are pot metal and do break easily, and rarely come up on e-bay.

Thank you.

Sorry, but you can do a search for 3D metal printing.
This is just one, you will have to do your own homework.

https://land.stratasysdirect.com/met...SAAEgJn0fD_BwE

Merc Cruzer 11-12-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1951300)
Sorry, but you can do a search for 3D metal printing.
This is just one, you will have to do your own homework.

https://land.stratasysdirect.com/met...SAAEgJn0fD_BwE

Thank you, I will give it a shot.

moonraker 11-12-2020 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 1951293)

Thank you.

If you have a 3D model made, I can get a quote here, in Russia

tubman 11-12-2020 01:41 PM

A friend of mine is in the specialty electronics field. Occasionally, he will need components for a short run project and puts out international RFQ's and has had components done all over the world.

I really don't know the details, but it seems to be a common practice for specialty manufacturing these days.

And, I don't think you have to worry about the language barrier; most of the guys in the business speak excellent English.

JSeery 11-12-2020 01:42 PM

I would think the modeling would be the time consuming part, the run time on the machine is somewhat automatic once the file is loaded. If you or a friend can program and/or use CAD/CAM programs it shouldn't be too difficult. If you have to farm it out that might be a cost issue. I built a lot of programs when I was still working for 3D type milling machines, and some of the program files can take a bit of time to build and check out!

moonraker 11-12-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1951354)
I would think the modeling would be the time consuming part, the run time on the machine is somewhat automatic once the file is loaded. If you or a friend can program and/or use CAD/CAM programs it shouldn't be too difficult. If you have to farm it out that might be a cost issue. I built a lot of programs when I was still working for 3D type milling machines, and some of the program files can take a bit of time to build and check out!

in my case the modeling was really quick, the guy did it in a couple hours. Building a program for 3D milling machine took way longer

Merc Cruzer 11-12-2020 04:18 PM

I am going to look into both sides of this:

1. Having the original handle scanned, to make to create a 3D electronic file. Then the cost of having it 3D printed, with a metal (not sure what is actually available for the printers) stronger than pot metal.

2. The cost of casting a new one (with a better metal), using the original, for the mold.

3. Once the 3D electronic file is created, I could even have one cut (water jet) from a billet of aluminum.

Bottom line, is there are a few options available, just a matter of cost.

moonraker 11-12-2020 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer (Post 1951425)
I am going to look into both sides of this:

1. Having the original handle scanned, to make to create a 3D electronic file. Then the cost of having it 3D printed, with a metal (not sure what is actually available for the printers) stronger than pot metal.

2. The cost of casting a new one (with a better metal), using the original, for the mold.

3. Once the 3D electronic file is created, I could even have one cut (water jet) from a billet of aluminum.

Bottom line, is there are a few options available, just a matter of cost.

another option - milled from stainless and polished?

Karl Wescott 11-12-2020 06:51 PM

Several things to keep in mind here.

1. 3D modeling/3D printing is a tool. As with any tool it may be right or wrong to do the job, and you need some level of skill to use it properly, more to get its full potential.

2. 3D modeling and printing DO NOT LIKE COMPOUND curves. The difficulty in mathematically describing a compound curve and the computer power required is amazing.

3. There are some direct printed 3D aluminum printers out there. Strength should be as good or better than most casting. Most of the time 3d printed steel, stainless, or bronze is done by a sintering process by mixing metal powders with a plastic binder, then heating until the copper/bronze is melted and the plastic burned out. Makes nice jewelry but strength will be a HUGE issue.

4. A 3D print done in PLA or wax can be used as the model for investment castings. Compensation for shrinkage can be done at the time of printing. Often with a lot of time savings. Parts with compound curves can be roughed and shrinkage compensated with 3D, then hand finished, and used a pattern for a urethane or silicone rubber mold, then wax poured in for an investment casting. A huge time savings in constructing patterns by hand. I did this with our 1933-34 and 1935-36 trunk hinges and the many door hinge casting we make.

5. For a $0.00 3D modeling software (huge learning curve, poor documentation) consider FREECAD www.freecad.org.

JSeery 11-12-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Wescott (Post 1951464)
I did this with our 1933-34 and 1935-36 trunk hinges and the many door hinge casting we make.

And they came out nice!

Newc 11-12-2020 10:26 PM

In a/p aircraft mechanics' school, our instructor displayed a complex rocker arm that he was required to fabricate with only a hand hacksaw and files. It was a required project for his pre ww2 schooling. Newc