The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bronze Guides (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198780)

GOSFAST 06-27-2016 12:38 AM

Re: Bronze Guides

13 Attachment(s)
For everyone interested in the bronze guides topic here, I figured before attempting this entire deal I would be able to drop the price substantially, just can't be done, not what I had planned. The biggest advantage will be on my end being able to knock a set out somewhat faster, and I was reasonably quick even with the original tool doing one at a time!

Here's why in a "nutshell" the price can't be moved too much, included in the original price of $160.00, you got 16 guides lined, 8 (intake) guides machined for valve stem seals, 16 new horseshoe clips, 16 new pair valve locks, AND the freight cost back included in that price! The freight runs about $10.00 per 16, insured.

Let me break down my cost this way:
the 16 liners cost $1.00/ea=$16.00
the horseshoe clips cost $0.75ea=$12.00/16
the new valve locks cost $8.00/set of 32
the freight back cost's $10.00/16 (This would be double for 2 sets, $20.00/32 pieces)
the Viton valve stem seals cost $8.00/8

The total COST (above) on my end excluding any labor comes to $54.00/16 with the 8 seals. This comes right off the "top" of the overall price of $160.00, where we were at in the beginning. Taking the cost of that material into account basically we are at just above a $100.00 (labor) for 1 set. The $100.00 is absolutely what I need to clear in to keep everything moving, I really have no choice with this being a business and NOT a hobby. At this price I MUST be able to knock ALL 16 out inside of a 1 hour time-frame, other wise it just doesn't pay do the procedure. To many up here, the price must have been fair at the $160.00/16 based on the amount we've done in the past here?

I would be willing to do a set of 16 for $126.00 but ONLY for the liners and nothing else, that would include the cost of returning them also! You need to remember the frgt has been climbing steadily. The Post Office just raised all the "flat-rate" box prices recently which is how we ship these guides.

Due to the accuracy of this new tooling now there's a likelihood of needing to first touch them up in the lathe also now before they ever mount in the tool. This I don't know beforehand but I would absorb that add'l labor on my end.

On a final note there's much discussion about knurling guides also, I personally am not against this procedure. What I don't care for is the type of knurling tooling's available today, most are 1-shot deals, like a tap, in my opinion this method tears out much of the guide. I've been knurling guides for years, but when I want the best job possible we use our "internal-thread-rolling" knurling set. This knurling removes NO material, unlike the "tap" style. If you have the opportunity to knurl with this method you would see how much metal comes out on/with the tool, absolutely none? It is time consuming and includes 5 different size "wheels", generally you don't go through all 5, most times you'll still have to run through about 2 or 3 wheel sizes though. In the past on the Flathead platform I wouldn't even get involved, this new tool would make it slightly easier though, again by being able to do all 16 at once while mounted!

(Add) For ANYONE installing liners in ANY guides, Flathead or otherwise, they should definitely be broached at least one time, after this initial broaching reaming/honing would be acceptable. I mentioned this above about doing wrist-pin bushings, same principal, to do them the correct way they should also be broached first. We have a special Sunnen tool for this procedure after which we finish mandrel-honing to the final size. This procedure "forces" the liners into the machined surface's inside the guides, same story with wrist pins but referred to as "burnishing" rather than broaching the bushing.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. What ever price quotes were given before this "adjustment" we will still honor, choice will be up to the customers to make the call.

Here's the FINAL breakdown/options:

1-Guides lined (only) - $126.00 (Labor, liners, and frgt)
2-Guides lined - (8) intakes machined for seals - $142.00 (Labor, liners, 8 seals, frgt)
3-Guides lined - (16) horseshoe retainers-(32) valve locks - $146.00 (Labor, liners, horseshoes, locks, frgt)
4-Guides lined - (8) intakes machined for seals-16 horseshoe clips-32 valve locks - $160.00 (Labor, liners, horseshoes, locks, seals, frgt)
There'll be no add'l discounting for multiple sets, there's just not enough room.

Guides only (#1 above)=$126.00 (frgt/insurance back included=$10.00)
Machine for seals=(Add) $8.00
Seals (8-Viton stems)=(Add) $8.00
Guide retainers (horseshoe clips)=(Add) $12.00
Valve Locks (16-pair)=(Add) $8.00

Scotty's 52 F3 06-27-2016 11:15 AM

Re: Bronze Guides

Thanks for posting all this. I'm not ready for engine work........YET. But, I do know I'll be sending my guides your way. Thanks.

Scott