Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Bernie

Default 1939 Ford headliner

I'm wanting to install a headliner and have several questions. First, where can I get some detailed instructions? Second, can you tell me how difficult it is to put one in -- I've never seen this done and have heard that it's difficult. I have done a lot of work on this car, such a replacing the hydraulic system and overhauling carburator, fuel pump and distributor but the headliner has me concerned about whether I can do a good job.?? Thanks for any information. Bernie
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1939 Ford headliner

If you buy the headliner from Cartouche or LeBaron-Bonney they should come with instructions. If the old headliner is still in the car make notes when you take it out. Make sure that the headliner bows go back in their original location. If the steel bows are rusty they should be sanded/cleaned and then painted with some cheap spray paint to keep them from rusting again. If not cleaned/painted the rust can bleed into the new headliner.
When installing take your time. Do not cut off any material until you know you have the headliner in it's correct location. Also if you can remove all the seats it makes the job much easier.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
fomocoloco

Even L-B instructions are useless. Don't cut anything. Start at rear window. Use push pins, heavy stapler, tacks, tack puller, string, tape, spring clamps, needle, thread, card stock to back up staples. Have a interested helper.
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Bernie

Thanks. I am still trying to decide to take on the job. I probably will go ahead with it since the car has the original fabric and it's falling to pieces. If I understand correctly I should first remove the entire headliner and then start putting in the new one. I can use my digital camera to show how the old headliner is attached, etc. I have already removed the rear seat and back cushion.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
fomocoloco

Notice how the windlace is cut and installed. You dont want it coming loose.
fomocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Kube

I just (two days ago) finished installing a headliner in a 39 coupe. It is time consuming but with patience, you should be able to handle it. Lebaron, while a bit more pricey is well worth the cost. Instructions are fairly clear as well.
I would strongly suggest you mark the bows to be 100% certain they go back in properly.
When you purchase the headliner kit, I would suggest purchasing new tack strip as well. The old (originally installed) fiberboard stuff usually is not adaquet to handle a new liner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2260007.JPG (60.0 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0193.jpg (30.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0194.jpg (47.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
19Fordy

I found the use of an upholstery steamer very helpful to remove the tiny wrinkles after I installed a LB Kit in my 40 coupe. Don't forget to leave enough headliner material to reach the top edge of the windshield when installing the front visors.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Bernie

Thanks again. I'm encouraged by your help! The photos of your installed headliner was super. Also, all of the good hints that comes from your hands-on experiences. Bernie
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
TJ

If you need to steam the headliner make sure you use distilled water. If your wife has one of those little steamers for taking out wrinkles from clothes it will work perfect.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
john worden

Be sure your hands are clean when working with new fabric.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
Brendan

I put in a molded headliner in my 36 pickup, it was the hardest thing that I have done to it. the windlace was also very hard. it will make it easer if you have a helper

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
Dak Rat

The steel bows should be marked with a number stamped into them (mine were) Make a diagram of where each number was in the car as you remove them. As mentioned above, don't cut any material off until the thing is installed and streched, they don't give you a lot of extra material to work with. Take your time--you can do it.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
john worden

After removing the old 'liner scrape the roof clean of any old sound deadener material and decide if you will replace it. I recently did a 40 tudor and brushed a coat of SEM Rust -Seal on the the cleaned roof and then applied Dynamat over that. Might want to replace the courtesy lights wire while your there. Perfect tack strips are critical especially around the perimeter of the package tray. Use a good tack hammer and a great tool for starting tacks in tough spots is a magnetic tack driver which looks like a fat drift punch that's magnetized on one end to hold a tack. Sharp shears that cut to the very tip are also important. Be cautious around the A piller and visor brackets. Easy to cut away too much fabric there. Luck.
John
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
biggeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I just (two days ago) finished installing a headliner in a 39 coupe. It is time consuming but with patience, you should be able to handle it. Lebaron, while a bit more pricey is well worth the cost. Instructions are fairly clear as well.
I would strongly suggest you mark the bows to be 100% certain they go back in properly.
When you purchase the headliner kit, I would suggest purchasing new tack strip as well. The old (originally installed) fiberboard stuff usually is not adaquet to handle a new liner.
kube nice work that looks great!
biggeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
chuck stevens

I'm doing a 40 todor sedan, while cleaning the bows I noticed the numbers stamped on one end. I may be in BIG trouble... I have two 4's, and no number 6. Has anybody else ran into this? Thanks for your help, Chuck S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Rat View Post
The steel bows should be marked with a number stamped into them (mine were) Make a diagram of where each number was in the car as you remove them. As mentioned above, don't cut any material off until the thing is installed and streched, they don't give you a lot of extra material to work with. Take your time--you can do it.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
I'm doing a 40 todor sedan, while cleaning the bows I noticed the numbers stamped on one end. I may be in BIG trouble... I have two 4's, and no number 6. Has anybody else ran into this? Thanks for your help, Chuck S.
They were not stamped at the factory so someone, at some time in the past, had apparently installed a replacement head liner. I am guessing they could not find the correct bows and used what they had. If the old head liner looked decent in your opinion, I see no reason why you won't be able to repeat that result, perhaps even better, once again.

Last edited by Kube; 12-10-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
OLD...BILL

Bernie: ..Google "headliners, cars" and you will get a host of info. and kits for sale . also look under "Headliners Fabric", more info. the last one I read, said buy my kit,and I'll include a free set of knee pads, sort of tells you what your in for. .... and Hay chuck where are the numbers stamped on the bows, there still in the car. ?? and I don't see em ?? ...OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #18
19Fordy

Bernie, I installed my LaBaron Bonney 40 coupe interior including the headliner in 1988. I saved the instructions. Let me know if you want them.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #19
chuck stevens

Bill, my numbers were stamped on one end, near the mounting hole. They look like factory stampings, one, is the first one back from the windshield and 7 is closest to the back window. I think you'll find the numbers if you wire brush them a little. I guess I will do a trial fit without the headliner, my car may have been a Monday or Friday car....they used what ever number they wanted. Chuck S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD...BILL View Post
Bernie: ..Google "headliners, cars" and you will get a host of info. and kits for sale . also look under "Headliners Fabric", more info. the last one I read, said buy my kit,and I'll include a free set of knee pads, sort of tells you what your in for. .... and Hay chuck where are the numbers stamped on the bows, there still in the car. ?? and I don't see em ?? ...OLD....BILL
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Fred A

Default '40 Coupe Bows

Pulling raggedy interiors out of my coupes and find that the screwed in bows are numbered on one top end. The last bow, center rear window is made of #8 wire that is bent on the ends. This is for the Business Coupe. Liner still installed in others and the rear bows may be incomplete. There seems to be no simple order to the numbering on the screw in bows. I also have a bundle of bows that probably came out of other closed cars, but also have not decoded the length code on the numbers. Take good notes! Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote