Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
wbedwards

Default Mile-O-matic Tranny

While mine is currently working, shifting, leaking, is there any logic in buying a 2 speed core out of the junk yard if I can get it pretty cheap? Just in case I need to rebuild mine.

thanks
wbedwards
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
361FEdsel

Default Re: Mile-O-matic Tranny

Dad was plagued with leaking on his Fordamatic in his 59 Villager.
It was hooked to a FE332. All the cases he found had the same problem.
Most were cracked at the shift bosses and leaked there.
He had some success by cleaning with acetone, and using JBweld.

He ended up putting a Cruise-o-matic in out of a 65 390 Galaxie.
You couldn't tell it unless you crawled under it, and of course listened to it start. That was an added benefit, later model starter that would kick off every time without the bendix whizzin. He also had to modify the driveshaft length. The shift linkage worked fine. If you just put it in "D" it would start off in 2nd and shift once, but if you pulled it on down into L it would start off in 1st. I just put a cable actuated kickdown on it because the cruise linkage was reverse of the Ford a Matic, and a lot of the time they kickdown when I don't want them to.

I know he was better pleased with the Cruise-o-Matic, and was much better on the road.
361FEdsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
5851a

If you could find the same as yours I would get it. Most of the cars now are mostly original. Don't get me wrong the cruisomatics are a nice swap. The salvage yards around here are rapidly drying up. If the price of metal doesn't get them crushed the EPA is knocking on the door telling them to get it cleaned up. Used to be farmyard cars all over and now the assessor is using satellites, you can only have X amount of cars on the property. Getting hard to find stuff.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
darrell

right now the bottom has fallen out of scrap.for how long nobody knows.a lot of stuff got cleaned up in the last few years.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
wbedwards

ok, thanks guys. I dont need a rebuild yet but I'm thinking I might need the core if any problems crop up and its only 100$
Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

If you plan on keeping the car, and have room to keep it, I say buy it. had a 64 Ranchero a few years back that had a 2 speed automatic in it. supposedly had been rebuilt. well the rebuilder left something loose I forget what ,but what happened is it came swinging around and hit the governor an broke the governor housing on the main shaft. had a very hard time finding one up here in Alaska because of all the metal being sold for scrap. I think I finally found the last one in a 200 mile radius. I am currently looking for a C-4 just to have for spare parts. this stuff is not just laying around everywhere anymore .---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
wbedwards

Thanks guys. Funds are always tight but I guess I should go buy it. =]
Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Motorhead6

If it is the aluminum case true 2 speed transmission, by all means grab it up. That is not a very desirable transmission for most folks and they toss them. That makes the hard parts nearly impossible to buy. The normal gaskets and rubbers as well as the clutch parts are available new. What ever you do, hang on to the filter. You will probably have to clean and re-use it. If you decide to opt for the cast iron 3 speed(many call this one a 2 speed because it normally launched in intermediate gear) hang on to the aluminum case ford-o-matic for the reason cited above.

As Alaska Jim alludes, this transmission was used in big Fords starting in '59 and were also used in Falcons and Comets through '64. Used tranny dealers don't typically hold on to them because of a lack of call for the hard parts.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
wbedwards

I bought it today. It is the aluminum true 2 speed. It looks as though it has been rebuilt as the seals are new. I got it home and dropped the pan and its cleaner than mine in the car and the fluid smelled good. The guy had a C4 too I would have bought but the bolt pattern was different. i couldn't stand it and bought some other goodies while I was there. He had a '59 Ranger, 58 Ranger, and a 58 Corsair but they were all picked over pretty good.

thanks guys
Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #10
Motorhead6

$100.00 for a rebuilt one is a great buy.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 AM   #11
wbedwards

So.... would you go through and rebuild it or just put it in and try it out since it looks so good inside?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
Motorhead6

If you can do it and have a few tranny specific tools you can do it for less than $100.00. If not, shop around for a reasonable rebuilder. I would use it as is, if it is as you say, and can't do either of the above. It would be a lot easier to do it now than to install and then have to pull it and do it later.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
unclevinny

i have a '58 electric shift the front servo is not in it but i think i have the right one to make it complete had the shift motor completely rebuilt and have the electric modulator as well. i never used it but it looks clean and might be worth a risk but what the freight would cost is a big consideration too as is i would want 300 bucks for everything if that will be something you could use..
unclevinny is offline   Reply With Quote