Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
freak

Default Lions Owner William Clay Ford Sr. Passes Away at Age 88

"William Clay Ford Sr., the primary shareholder of Ford Motor Company and majority owner of the Detroit Lions 50 years running, died Sunday (3/9/2014) , a little less than a week before his 89th birthday."

"Ford, the last surviving grandchild of legendary automotive maven Henry Ford, was one of the more prominent faces of the family business during the 20th century. He controlled a majority share of the stocks, serving on the board of directors as Ford continued to stake its claim among the best American automotive makers."
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Lions Owner William Clay Ford Sr. Passes Away at Age 88

William was one Edsel Ford's four children. His older brother was Henry Ford II, who replaced Edsel and Henry as head of the Ford Motor Company in I believe 1943.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
freak

Wiki says II was president from 1945-1960
Old 03-09-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Gary Karr

In memory of William Clay Ford, I took my Mark II out today for a spin. William Clay was put in charge of the Mark II project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 Continental Mark II 004.jpg (68.0 KB, 36 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
freak

We toured Edsel's house a few years back. Bill lived just down the road from his boyhood home. They said he stopped by every now and then. I was hoping he would show up but didn't. Can you imagine the stories that guy could tell?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
mhsprecher

There were three boys and a girl. Benson, Henry II, Wm Clay and a sister, who was called Dotie, I believe. I thought she was still alive, but I guess not. This was a tie to Henry I and now that is gone. It will be interesting to see what happens to the company as the family gets larger and younger generations want the cash rather than the legacy ownership of a car company. It's remarkable that after over 100 years, that the company is essentially still controlled by the family.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Skibb

As a young man, for a time I was assigned as driver for Mr. William Clay Ford. It's not my place to comment, but I found him friendly, outgoing, strong on family and a gentleman. He put on no airs. He was truly a class act. May he rest in peace.

Posters comments on the Ford Family here may be okay but this thread should be about the gentleman that just past. As a man he was worthy of the name he bore.

Last edited by Skibb; 03-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Tom Endy

Henry Ford III is the young fellow standing next to a Ford pick-up in a Ford show room. His father is Edsel Ford II, who's father was Henry Ford II, who's father was the original Edsel, who's father was the original Henry. The other photos are his direct line of ancestors.

I had the pleasure of hearing Henry Ford III speak last Fall at the monthly meeting of the Orange County (Southern California) Model T Club. I was invited to the meeting by some "T" friends and didn't believe Henry Ford III would be there. I suspected a "look-alike Elvis" situation.

Henry Ford III showed up at the meeting casually dressed and with little fanfare and greeted those in the club he was acquainted with. When it came time for him to speak he told of his heritage, his education, and his current employment.

He was born in Australia, attended college in the US and earned a BA in English. For a number of years he was a high school English teacher. At age 29 he realized that one day he would be called on to enter the family business and he considered that a BA in English would not get him far in the corporate world, so he entered an MBA program at MIT.

During a summer break he interned at Galpin Ford dealership in Downey California. Potential customers were somewhat surprised when they saw his name badge. He admitted he sold only six cars that summer, but he said he learned a lot. "He is the nicest, most unpretentious guy you'll ever meet", said Beau Boeckmann, vice president of Galpin Ford.

Today Henry Ford III is 33 years old, has completed his MBA program, and is employed at the Irvine, California facility of the Ford Motor Company, which is a research facility.

Listening to Henry Ford III speak it becomes clear he is fully aware of his heritage and of his responsibility to honor that heritage. I was greatly impressed.

Old Henry would be proud.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry & Edsel.jpg (68.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Edsel Ford II.jpg (2.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg HenryFord II.jpg (28.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg henry-ford-the-third-630.jpg (29.8 KB, 65 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
SkipShift

William Clay Ford Sr. and his son Bill Ford Jr., left, sit in a replica 1914 Model T in front of the Mack Avenue Ford Plant on the grounds of Greenfield Village in Dearborn on May 19, 2003. Ford Sr., who was 88, died March 9, 2014, of pneumonia at his Grosse Pointe Shores home, six days short of his 89th birthday. (John T. Greilick / The Detroit News)

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2vZKcQRv4
SkipShift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
54A in MN

A Most Remarkable Legacy.

The Autoextremist - Rants

No. 738,
54A in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Skibb

Great article 54A. The photos are terrific. Mr Ford was personable and if you were near him he wanted to know your name no matter your position or lack there off. While he liked design, there was little that escaped his interest.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote