Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-27-2024, 08:32 AM   #1
Vintage Car Hoarder

Default Winfield Model M updraft carb

Is a Winfield Model M updraft carb suitable for use on Ford Model A or B engine? Any good? Anyone using one? There doesn't seem to be much info on them and they seem to be used mainly on T engines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240427_133840.jpg (89.2 KB, 83 views)
Vintage Car Hoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Winfield Model M updraft carb

They were only used on T's. They are better than the stock T carb, but IMO a bit small for the Model A. I've run a few Winfield model S on my warmed up Model A, and really like them.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 01:36 PM   #3
Dan McEachern

The Model M Winfields were offered in 3 sizes, MA, MB and MC, with the MA being the smallest and usually used on T engines etc. Your MB is a good size for a stock or slightly warmed up A engine. They were the produced prior to the S and SR Winfields and Jim B made reference to above. Most are damaged or broken around the air inlet where the air silencer attaches, but the one in the picture seems to be in nice shape. Do you have the air silencer for it? These carbs run very well, when tuned as they have all have adjustable idle, intermediate and high speed jets.
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 03:07 PM   #4
Gene F

Dan, so SR is the best choice for an A, if you can find one? What is so special about these? I have never heard of them. I imagine these are big bucks, but gosh where would you ever get parts...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 04:03 AM   #5
Vintage Car Hoarder

Thanks Dan, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. I can see what you mean with the 3 sizes and it is just the smallest one that is only for Ts. I want to put it on a stockish A or B motor so it should be fine. The whole thing is in very good condition and may be NOS. It does not have the air silencer. Do I need that? I would just have run it open. Are copies of the original manuals or instructions available?
Old 04-28-2024, 12:13 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Dan, so SR is the best choice for an A, if you can find one? What is so special about these? I have never heard of them. I imagine these are big bucks, but gosh where would you ever get parts...
The difference between the S and the SR is that the later has an accelerator pump, not needed IMO. Gasket sets are available. Price depends on size, condition and are they complete with air-horn or not. None are cheap.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:51 PM   #7
Dan McEachern

Regarding the silencers for the Model M carbs, they do show up on ebay from time to time, so keep an eye out there. You really need one , as the choke butterfly is part of the silencer. Be aware there are three sizes- one size for each size carb.

Regarding the S/SR question. Yup, the SR's have a vacuum operated accelerator pump built into the bottom of the float bowl but most folks I'm aware of block off the pump by rotating the bottom cover position. Nothing wrong with an S carb in this day and age.

Jim- are you aware of a source for gaskets? Is Barry still offering them, or is there a new source?
Old 04-28-2024, 05:21 PM   #8
G Baese

Here are two Model M-B's with the choke horns they came with. At first they were thought to be cut down silencer horns, but the silencer horns were to short to cut down and end up with these. One like this appeared on the auction site also.
A very nice article on the Winfield Model M is in SOS V.7-1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model M-B sm2.jpg (22.9 KB, 32 views)
G Baese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #9
Dan McEachern

Here is the more common Model M inlet silencer. This one is turned 90 degrees as the carb in this case is mounted with the throttle shaft parallel to the crankshaft. I believe the air inlets shown above were actually used on the barrel valve carburetors made prior to the model M, but not 100% certain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winfield MA.jpg (53.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg winfield b valve silenser repair plate method.jpg (48.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:26 AM   #10
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McEachern View Post
Regarding the silencers for the Model M carbs, they do show up on ebay from time to time, so keep an eye out there. You really need one , as the choke butterfly is part of the silencer. Be aware there are three sizes- one size for each size carb.

Regarding the S/SR question. Yup, the SR's have a vacuum operated accelerator pump built into the bottom of the float bowl but most folks I'm aware of block off the pump by rotating the bottom cover position. Nothing wrong with an S carb in this day and age.

Jim- are you aware of a source for gaskets? Is Barry still offering them, or is there a new source?

I don't know about Barry, the last ones I bought were from Steve Sturim in MI, [email protected]. They were of very good quality.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:19 PM   #11
stevests

I've always heard that those round chokes horns referred to as "roar-bowls".
stevests is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:01 PM   #12
Vintage Car Hoarder

Thank you very much for the information. Finding a silencer for a Model MB is likely to be difficult. Would a silencer from an A or C be adaptable, and/or what is the exact difference between the silencers? Would it be possible for me to make my own choke horn using the top of an old carb such as a 94? Simply cut the top off the 94 and screw it on to the Winfield. It would not be a horn, just straight. Is that likely to work?