Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
San Antonio

Default 1930 Model A Pick Up

1930 Model A Pick Up
Based on the picture what can you tell me about this truck?
Planning on restoring. Can some of you give some feedback on what direction to start.
1. Is color of truck and wheels a color that was stock?
2. wooden truck bed? did some models come with this?

Thank you

modela.jpg
San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: 1930 Model A Pick Up

How long have you owned the truck? I would just drive it as is for at least a year or two, then decide if you really want to restore it. It sure looks nice just the way it is.

The wood box is not factory from Ford.
The horn is the common JC Whitney chrome horn, but the one that came on my 29 Tudor sounded perfect.
I sold it on ebay for more than the factory horn cost to replace it.
Always own and get to know your vehicle for quite a while before you jump into restoring it. Also you can start by restoring many small parts and putting them back on. This way the truck stays drivable and if you do a frame off, then a lot of time will be saved by having many parts already done.
But, just by that one picture, if it was mine, I'd drive it as is, because it looks so good already.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
TerryH

I agree with Tom....I would get to know and enjoy it first, and get a feel for it. After awhile, you also might have a better idea of just what you want to do. You can always take it apart. After you do, it is a long road ahead with no car to enjoy, so you want to be sure you are ready for that.
Terry
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Always own and get to know your vehicle for quite a while before you jump into restoring it. Also you can start by restoring many small parts and putting them back on. This way the truck stays drivable and if you do a frame off, then a lot of time will be saved by having many parts already done.
But, just by that one picture, if it was mine, I'd drive it as is, because it looks so good already.
very good points, even in my complete restoration i take small bits off, restore them/test them if its possible (like switches, horn, generator, starter, etc) then tag and cover what needs to be covered and store it safely on a shelf.

It takes ALOT of space and ziplock baggies to fully tear one down, tag everything, store, then restore it. I have half a 2.5 car garage full of parts partially filled 2 sheds full of parts too. Even more of an issue to keep sheetmetal straight where things wont dent and scratch it.

best to do little chunks and enjoy the truck as is. Go over the mechanicals first to get it running AND stopping in tip top shape
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
pat in Santa Cruz

heres another vote for keeping it driveable for a few years before you tear it apart. Many cars come apart and never go back together because its so easy to disassemble them, and so not easy to reassemble them.

If I wanted to restore your truck, I would start with small stuff, get the mechanics in tip top condition and find a bed ( and no doubt the dust shield too). Then restore the bed off the truck. When its ready, get a few friends and do a bed swap. You could do that in a day and have time for a few beers afterwards too.. I prefer to work on my cars during winter, planning just enough so I can finish that task in time to enjoy them during driving season.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Ed Saniewski

See if there is a Model A ford club near by. Join and you will have lot's of help with fixing and correcting the truck.

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
chiliman

My thought is life is short drive it like it is buy another one and tear it down a man can't be left with his A down and besides you can't have to many A'S
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
cohammer60

Took my old car apart to restore , got it all taken apart got sick could not do much , started again then sick again , so 2 years later I am just now hoping to start on it again . Make sure you are ready for a complete tear down . Life is short and looks like you could still drive and enjoy that truck.
cohammer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Here is one that I built out of parts. They don't have to be perfectly correct to enjoy, none of mine are . I did this one in 08. The running gear is mostly november 1928 . The cab is off of my Dec 1930 AA . We installed a new repro bed and rear fenders. This one has an original horn that sounds like a sick cow . I like the old Hutchins repro horns better . This one also has the stainless passenger car headlamps and radiator shell ..We mostly think that it looks better than the original black headlamps and radiator shell. I notice that yours has sealed beam adaptors . If I had your truck I would enjoy it like it is , If I replaced anything it would be the bed but your bed is plenty cool just like it is.

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
ronn

Purdy,
your truck is sweet!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Thanks, Ronn !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote