Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
bobpo

Default Here we (don't) go again..!

I shoulda known. Just about the time I feel confident about taking off in this little coupe of mine, something else happens.

Went to a little town near here and stopped at an "Old Fellas's Coffee Shop" and there were a lotta "Old Fellas" there alright. Well, needless to say several had to have their pictures taken standing next to "Miss Tillie".

I couldn't have been prouder.. Some of these fellas had to have been in their 90's. Some had just gotten out of a Senior Care Center Bus. I guess this is one of their favorite spots. (my first time there).

After about an hour, it was time to leave. I jumped into the coupe and the starter clattered like the bendix wasn't quite seating into the flywheel. I checked the battery charge when I got home and it's fine.

What would cause a car that has been starting great for a couple of years to suddenly make a sound like this? It started, but didn'tsound good at all. NOW IT'S PARKED......UNTIL I FIGURE THIS OUT...

HELP......!!!!!!!
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Here we (don't) go again..!

Pull the starter and ck the bendix spring, also the ring gear. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

If the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel here is a couple of things that could cause this. One of the bendix bolts could have fell out or there could be oil on the helix of the bendix. If oil gets on the helix, clutch dust will attach to the oil and interfere with the gear on the bendix throwing itself into the flywheel when you push the starter button. Sounds like you will need to remove the starter. If the bolts are still in place I would clean the helix or spiral grooves that the gear of the bendix of the starter spins on. Use no oil. Lacquer thinner or rubbing alcohol will work good. If this doesn't fit the discription of how the starter is acting. I will need more info.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-10-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
bobpo

You know guys, I just got to thinking about this whole thing, I actually took "Miss Tillie" for a ride to a neat little town where the original owner (who passed in 1996) was from. But here's the really Kool part of it. TODAY WAS INTERNATIONAL MODEL A DAY (Right?).........HOW COOL IS THAT? (as the kids say).

I will pull the starter tomorrow morning. I have pulled it before and you're right, it's easy.

Again, I appreciate your help. Don't know what I'd do without you fellas. I consider you my Buds from Afar......

Last edited by bobpo; 09-10-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
steve s

I agree with Purdy about not using oil on the bendix helical gear. It may not be a problem down south, but in cold weather an oil film can congeal enough to keep the gear from spinning down the shaft and engaging--the starter motor will just whirr. When I first had my A in high school in Michigan, the rear main leaked so bad the bendix was always oiled up. I had to remove my starter when I got home from school to keep it warm overnight in the house and put it back in before driving to school. Really cold fingers in the driveway snow. It turns out two of the bolts are all you need!

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 09-10-2011 at 10:37 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
bobpo

Again, you guys were right on the money. The bolts retaining the spring were loose. The front one in fact was almost all the way out. The lock tabs had been bent somewhat outward.

THANKS AGAIN BUDS...........................

O.K. Now I have another question pertaining to those bolts.

Why are the Bolt Retaining Lock-Tab washer tabs both turned upward? Seems one of the tabs should be turned downward....?????!!!!!!!.....
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #7
Purdy Swoft

One tab should turn down and fit in the slot in the end of the spring the other tab should be turned up against the bolt to lock it in place after tightening. You will probably need new lock tab washers they will usually bend only once before breaking.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Dick So. Cal.

You might also check to see that you have the right size battery cables. 12 volt cables on a 6 volt system don't perform well.

Dick
Dick So. Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

And, don't mix up the two bolts. The longer bolt, with the smooth end goes in the rear of the shaft to lock the drive head in place. The short bolt must not touch the shaft, which would make the forward end of the spring bind in place, rather than turning freely.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
bobpo

THAT'S JUST GREAT. NOW I HAVE TO PULL THE STARTER BACK OUT. YOU SEE BOTH TABS ON THE WASHER WERE POINTED UP. THAT'S WHY I QUESTIONED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE....

I KNEW ONE OF THEM SHOULD BE POINTED DOWN, DANG IT......!!!

But I'm good on the 6 volt cables. Starts great again. Too bad I have to do it over...I hate those little screws that secure the fuse holder......my fingers don't get in there that well....
Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I don't remove the starter switch when I remove the starter. I disconnect the battery cable from the switch and slip a short piece of heater hose over the live end to insulate. That way no metal to cable contact can occur and cause sparks to fly.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #12
bobpo

I already use a Slotted Screwdriver but I think the problem with it is that it may be too old. I bought it back in the early 60's and it is way too temperamental. If it touches anything at all, it snaps open and of course, the screw it is carrying flies off and then I'm back down on the floor looking for it and the washer with an extension magnet. What a pain.

So maybe I need a new one!?!?......As to the hot wire, I use a Disconnect to allieviate that problem.

Thanks again