Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
Jwilli

Default 5 bearing camshaft, what year or years.

The number stamped on the block of an engine that I am rebuilding indicates that it was made in 1930. A mechanic friend told me that the 5 bearing was only in the early 1928 engines. What is your opinion?
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 5 bearing camshaft, what year or years.

I agree with your mechanic friend. I believe Ford only made 5 bearing cam blocks in 1928. For how long in 1928, I am not sure. I think the 5 bearing cam blocks were made far into 1928, not just early 28. If the engine you are rebuilding has a 1930 engine number on it and has a 5 bearing cam block, I suspect someone must have restamped it.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

I had an october 1928 engine that was the Five cam bearing engine. I have a december 1928 engine with a five bearing camshaft but doesn't have but three cam bearings in the block. I think that some early 1929 engines came with five bearing cam shafts but only three cam bearings in the block
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

The 5 bearing camshaft BLOCK went from Start of Production through roughly October 3-6, 1928.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

My 9-27-28 (tank date) Phaeton has the 5 bearing block, but Ford quit using #2 and #4 bearings, so they are rough turned a little smaller than the other 3 bearings on my cam. I think the Service Bulletins might mention this turning down of the cam bearings.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
DougVieyra

Some of the early (1930s,'40s, '50s) 'hot rod' engine builders of the time believed that the 5 bearing cam of the 1928 engine had a little better 'umph' than the later 3 bearng cam. Hence, many engine builders of the 1930's - 1960's sought out the 5 bearing cam for their engine building.

The old-time engine builder who rebuilt the engine for my '28 Phaeton made sure that it had a 5 bearing cam. This was in the late 1970s, so it was still being thought of even then as a 'better' cam.

With that being the case, it is not suprising to find a 5 bearing cam in a much later engine. Old time builders valued the extra 'lift'.

- Doug Vieyra
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
CarlG

The new cam I bought a couple of years ago is a 5 bearing. Only 3 in the block, but the cam has 5. (One size fits all ?? )
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilli View Post
The number stamped on the block of an engine that I am rebuilding indicates that it was made in 1930. A mechanic friend told me that the 5 bearing was only in the early 1928 engines. What is your opinion?
Any chance the number was restamped? How about a picture of the number?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
southfork

I read in a hot rodder type magazine sometime in the last 5 years or so, that Banger racers still look for the 5 cam bearing blocks because (according to the article) of additional block strength. I will try to find that article. I know that opinions exist that the later A blocks were stronger.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
I read in a hot rodder type magazine sometime in the last 5 years or so, that Banger racers still look for the 5 cam bearing blocks because (according to the article) of additional block strength. I will try to find that article. I know that opinions exist that the later A blocks were stronger.
The rear main saddle is stronger in the later blocks. I believe it
was changed twice(from the 1928 block) and was much stronger
in the last change...
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
ursus

[QUOTE=DougVieyra;962905]Some of the early (1930s,'40s, '50s) 'hot rod' engine builders of the time believed that the 5 bearing cam of the 1928 engine had a little better 'umph' than the later 3 bearing cam. Hence, many engine builders of the 1930's - 1960's sought out the 5 bearing cam for their engine building.

The old-time engine builder who rebuilt the engine for my '28 Phaeton made sure that it had a 5 bearing cam. This was in the late 1970s, so it was still being thought of even then as a 'better' cam.

With that being the case, it is not suprising to find a 5 bearing cam in a much later engine. Old time builders valued the extra 'lift'.

I have heard this as well. One guy told me that he installed an NOS 5-bearing cam (one with #2 and #4 bearings turned down) and really liked the increased power but not the slightly rougher idle. He had measured the base circle of the cam and noted that it was slightly larger than a 3-bearing cam and and that the ramp sides of the lobes appeared to be flatter. The Ford Service bulletins only note that the individual bearings were increased in length for the 3 bearing cams, as compared to the 5 bearing version.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Pete

Common high performance mods to A or B blocks.

1- Stock 3 bearing model A cam converted to 5 bearing with 404A grind
on the lobes.

2- B block converted to 5 cam bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 banger cam.jpg (12.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg B engine guide machining1.jpg (66.4 KB, 122 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Jwilli

The block also has 5 bearings. An interesting fact. The engine had a data plate on it. Rebuilt size data on this motor. H & H machine motor parts co. St Louis. Job No 2531 date 2 16 39. mains undersize 0.010 rods undersize 0.010 cylinder size 3.895. I suspect that the engine may have been renumbered at this time.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Purdy Swoft

Or most likely a 1930 block converted to 5 bearing as Pete mentions above. The early blocks are obviously weaker at the rear as D.J. says in post # 10. Some prefer the early beaver tail crankshafts used in 1928. The design of the early beaver tail crankshaft cuts through the fumes in the crankcase quicker , is lighter and revs & accellerates quicker .
Old 10-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #15
Jwilli

I understand how you could grind the bearings on the cam to fit a 3 bearing block, but how do you add 2 bearings to the block?
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilli View Post
I understand how you could grind the bearings on the cam to fit a 3 bearing block, but how do you add 2 bearings to the block?
That would be a hard thing to do...You don't...cost prohibitive to do so in my opinion but could possibly be done but why would you want to?

Why not just find an early block with 5 bearings and be done with it? They are out there...about 490,000 made in 1928 before they went to the 3 bearing block.

BUT...I guess Pete did it...How did you do it Pete?????

Pluck
Old 10-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Purdy Swoft

Notice the drill setup in petes pic in post # 12 .The block is drilled and tapped and the extra bearings are added. This type thing has been done on A&B blocks in high performance applications for years. This type thing isn't for the average model A guy or the average home mechanic. The extra bearings allow for the use of much stronger valve springs and remove the risk of cam flex at really high RPM. The 1928 five bearing cams will fit any of the model A blocks without any grinding of the cam bearing surfaces. The early blocks are not desirable for performance applications because the rear of the block at the rear main bearing is the weakest of all of the model A blocks.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Notice the drill setup in petes pic in post # 12 .The block is drilled and tapped and the extra bearings are added. This type thing has been done on A&B blocks in high performance applications for years. This type thing isn't for the average model A guy or the average home mechanic. The extra bearings allow for the use of much stronger valve springs and remove the risk of cam flex at really high RPM. The 1928 five bearing cams will fit any of the model A blocks without any grinding of the cam bearing surfaces. The early blocks are not desirable for performance applications because the rear of the block at the rear main bearing is the weakest of all of the model A blocks.
Thanks Purdy for the insight on that!

Pluck
Old 10-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
plind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post

Why not just find an early block with 5 bearings and be done with it? They are out there...about 490,000 made in 1928 before they went to the 3 bearing block.

Pluck
I have one block with 5 bearings, it has nr. 531***, i do not how high nr. it go to before it changed to 3 bearings--

Per,

Tudor * A 2820 *

Town Sedan * A 4472283 * Orig.never restored.
plind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Jwilli

Thanks to all for the response. We will be using the original block and cam for the rebuild. It is just an extra engine in case of need.