Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
Slingo

Default Help with 1920 T Touring /Basket

Hello I need advice bought a basket case..It is a rolling chassie the motor was out of it ...It is in it now was told it ran in the home made engine stand?Looks like he went through the wheels frame ,rear end, and he got most of the wood work done...Then he was sick with cancer..I bought it from the daughters ...He bought it in 1971 aug and started the restoration..40 years in parts wow...Most the body work was ready to go so I painted it black last week..Looks OK ..Now I need a book or advice on the reassemble ..Like the wood blocks between the frame and body? I just started 3 weeks ago cleaning the motor ,painted the body,doors ,fenders..What is a good book for this one? anyone near The Dalles Oregon? Thanks for any help
Slingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
jackdaron

Default Re: Help with 1920 T Touring /Basket

There arn't any wood blocks between the frame and body.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #3
Slingo

I see in Mac"s they sell a set of 6 block:s in the pic they look like 6inch 1/2 ply wood with 2 holes drilled in them...None of the remnants are left in the parts lot that I have .
Old 02-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
t.jamison

I too am working on a 20 Touring. There were no blocks between the body and frame.
t.jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Slingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.jamison View Post
I too am working on a 20 Touring. There were no blocks between the body and frame.
Do you know of engine pan blocks ?or other wood blocking around the motor?

I have 1 pan block and a steering block ..But dont know where they go..Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
jackdaron

The running boards had blocks under them where they mount to the carriers and another at the mounting holes for front fenders and one between the fender and running board at the rear. Blocks under the hood shelves,one in the frame where the steering column bolts to frame and one at rear of pan ears where they bolt to frame.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Willie in Houston

There were wood blocks that went between the pan ears and the inside of the frame. A bolt went thru the frame, the wood block and that rear pan ear on each side. The body itself did not use any blocks in the mounting.
Willie in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
rond

Get a reprint of the original Ford service manual from any of the parts dealers. At the front of the service manual they go step by step through the assembly of a car from parts. This is the most important book to get.

Other good books are 'The Model T Ford Owner" by Murry Fahenstock. Has a lot of repair tips from the 1920's. You may have to get it on an online auction.

Go to the MTFCA website and look at their online encyclopedia. It has a lot of year specific info. The encyclopedia on CD is even better with a lot of pictures of what the car should look like when done. Another good book is "Model T Ford, The Car That Changed the World" by Bruce McCalley. Out of print, but one is on tbay right now
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Slingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rond View Post
Get a reprint of the original Ford service manual from any of the parts dealers. At the front of the service manual they go step by step through the assembly of a car from parts. This is the most important book to get.

Other good books are 'The Model T Ford Owner" by Murry Fahenstock. Has a lot of repair tips from the 1920's. You may have to get it on an online auction.

Go to the MTFCA website and look at their online encyclopedia. It has a lot of year specific info. The encyclopedia on CD is even better with a lot of pictures of what the car should look like when done. Another good book is "Model T Ford, The Car That Changed the World" by Bruce McCalley. Out of print, but one is on tbay right now
Got my copy off ebay $9.99 ....That will do lots of reassembly pic..Thanks Much