Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #161
petehoovie

Default Re: 276 stroker from 35 years of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Dang, you guys are killin' me. All the stuff I need to know to be happy on a Saturday morning. I have had a longtime love of #2 permatex, sounds perfect for head bolts, on the graphtite rope I used permatex black Ultra like the Best gasket sheet recomended. I also used it between the block and the die cast holder. Claims excellent oil resistence, so probably good for timing cover too, but I will check end play. And yes to the post type distributor. No more dual points behind the V belt for me. After all, it's a little late to be worried about staying 'original' on the phantom woodie. Two more questions for this morning. Cast iron or aluminum timing cover? and I have NORS main bearings by Michigan Bearing Co. I bought on barn swap. I will post a pic. Surface is very shiney, oddly so. Should I buff them out with fine scotchbrite?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM   #162
GB SISSON

Thank you once again Pete. The bottom photo shows a couple more parts I picked up from my friend that sold me his father in law's block collection. He had mentioned he had some more bellhousings and oil pans for me in an old airstream on his property. All those good blocks and so many parts 1 1/2 miles down the road, and up until seven or eight years ago I knew nothing of them.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM   #163
cadillac512

Quote:
Thank you once again Pete. The bottom photo shows a couple more parts I picked up from my friend that sold me his father in law's block collection. He had mentioned he had some more bellhousings and oil pans for me in an old airstream on his property. All those good blocks and so many parts 1 1/2 miles down the road, and up until seven or eight years ago I knew nothing of them.

It amazes me how many good flathead parts (and trucks!) you have on your island.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #164
51504bat

Quote:

That Airstream might be worth more than the flathead stuff that's in it to the summer people on the island
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #165
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Not trying to piss in the middle of you parade Bud but, do you have room between the fan and radiator for the front mount distributor? Everything is a little further forward…..but I’m sure you already know that…….Mark
I'm no expert on the 8ba for sure, but I know I installed one in my '47 2 ton in 2014. I don't recall anything tricky or unusual. But wait, I may have used the forward set of crossmember holes for the radiator and support that Ford put in there for the longer 6cyl G engine (or perhaps a future 8ba).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fromiphone 003.jpg (91.2 KB, 17 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #166
51504bat

8ba fit fine in the '40 1 1/2 ton I used to own.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #167
petehoovie

Quote:
I'm no expert on the 8ba for sure, but I know I installed one in my '47 2 ton in 2014. I don't recall anything tricky or unusual. But wait, I may have used the forward set of crossmember holes for the radiator and support that Ford put in there for the longer 6cyl G engine (or perhaps a future 8ba).

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #168
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
It amazes me how many good flathead parts (and trucks!) you have on your island.
I have had a lot of flathead era ford trucks but the vast majority got here the hard way. My first flat V8 came from the island. Once the hook was set, I had haul them from the mainland. Oregon, Eastern Washington, Parker's Praire Minnesota, Montana, N Dakota etc. Here's my first, that '38 tonner before and after. Most of the blocks came all at once, but I collected plenty of them the hard way too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg older trucks 036.jpg (77.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kids on 38.jpg (92.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg eddies engines 063.jpg (74.7 KB, 17 views)
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #169
petehoovie

Quote:
I have had a lot of flathead era ford trucks but the vast majority got here the hard way. My first flat V8 came from the island. Once the hook was set, I had haul them from the mainland. Oregon, Eastern Washington, Parker's Praire Minnesota, Montana, N Dakota etc. Here's my first, that '38 tonner before and after. Most of the blocks came all at once, but I collected plenty of them the hard way too.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #170
GB SISSON

Quick-Draw McPete
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #171
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Those super shiny bearings are the "micro" polished version and are good stuff, no buffing needed.
Except they have a bit of rust on the thrust surfaces.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #172
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Except they have a bit of rust on the thrust surfaces.
It'll buff out. That must be why it was suggested I hit those areas with some fine emery. Consider it done. Here's some of what got done yesterday. I'll shoot for getting the crank in today. The pump on the far left had the golden pickup to center on the truck pan. I also want to look at my distributor options. I know I have at least one aluminum one and one cast iron. Can someone elaborate on the photo of all the timing covers, for instance which distributor works with which cover? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil pumps five.jpg (140.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg primed pan and gears.jpg (117.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Primed oil pan with pump etc.jpg (72.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; Today at 07:57 AM.