Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
Cody_1948

Default there goes nice model A gone...

,Fast&loud, Really tear apart a super nice 31, Ive been on a hunt.for one, and only sold to them for $6,500 WOW, id love to find one in that shape for that price..
Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: there goes nice model A gone...

Sorry but what does this mean or mean to say ?
Wayne
Old 08-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
b ramsey

he is talking about a super fake reality tv show, mistaken as reality.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Sorry but what does this mean or mean to say ?
Wayne
I just recently got Direct TV. Don't you watch VELOCITY CHANNEL?? Now I "think" I could weld in a patch panel??
Bill W.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #5
Barber31

Although I do like the looks of chopped model A's I still couldn't watch them do it. And they didn't even use any other part of the car! Why buy a nicely done complete model A if your going to throw everything away anyway? Why not just buy a shell that's already been hacked up? I don't know. I just wish I could of got all the leftover stuff they didn't use.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
dumb person

Do not mistake them for logical people. They work for TV that automatically means they will find the most expensive way to do something, normally offending people in the process, same reason i don't watch those fast & spurious movies.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
Old 08-19-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I just recently got Direct TV. Don't you watch VELOCITY CHANNEL?? Now I "think" I could weld in a patch panel??
Bill W.
No I do not watch Velocity but now the post makes sense !
Thanks, Wayne
Old 08-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_1948 View Post
,Fast&loud, Really tear apart a super nice 31, Ive been on a hunt.for one, and only sold to them for $6,500 WOW, id love to find one in that shape for that price..
Just go to TV land and they are there.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #9
bart78

I think what they paid for the car. Is about what a car like that schould go for. It was nice but still needed a lot of work. 6500 for the car and it needed painted. And to have a good paint job these days will run you quite a bit. And no telling what other stuff needed to be done. The guy started off asking 9,500 for it. A few years ago I think he might could have gotton it. But not now. At least not any where around here.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
Although I do like the looks of chopped model A's I still couldn't watch them do it. And they didn't even use any other part of the car! Why buy a nicely done complete model A if your going to throw everything away anyway? Why not just buy a shell that's already been hacked up? I don't know. I just wish I could of got all the leftover stuff they didn't use.
Barber,
Here in Fresno, there are MANY, real high dollar street/hot rods & most guys will pay premium prices for a GOOD, SOLID body! They don't want to start with a butchered or rusty body. Good rolling chassis & such, are often available to stock Model A guys.
I have Hot Rod friends that envy me for having a very decent, original/restored '29 Coupe, that will zip around with city traffic, & tour around in our BEAUTIFUL Sierra Nevada Mountains, even though it's 83 years old. I have a friend in Fish Camp, Ca, that rents Model A's & Model T's to tour Yosemite National Park & surrounding areas & teaches how to drive them SAFELY! If you reserve a car ahead of time, he'll send you an instructional VIDEO/VHS tape on how to drive them!
They look at details of MY car & say things like, "OH! that's what mine looked like, before it was altered"!
Really tacky old body stuff is usually used to build them old RAT RODS, they're kinda like, "ANTHING FOR A LAFF"!
I STILL have that old Hot Rod crap in my SOUL, it's harder to get rid of than DRUGS!
Bill W.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
jrelliott

Had a good laugh a couple of years ago when they purchased a Rolls Royce and modified it by lowering, custom wheels and a lot of other mods then could not sell it for what they had into it. I personally do not like seeing really nice cars being trashed. Have a lot of friends with hot rods and know several people that are in the customizing business, and can appreciate the work they do.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
TDO

I don't like any reality shows especially the ones were they work on cars so much fake.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I STILL have that old Hot Rod crap in my SOUL, it's harder to get rid of than DRUGS!
Bill W.
Your right!! I try to save my "Old Hot Rod Crap" for my '55 Ranchwagon that I "modified" way back when I didn't know any better... but still own and enjoy along with "The A" so I can feed my addiction.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Cody_1948

Here's a link to the photo of the Model A, When it first showed up. Still a very nice car

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/fa...guar-caddy.htm
Old 08-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
BlueSunoco

Phantom Works is a little easier to watch. They don't go into the $$ side that much, they just showcase the work on the cars and keep the money private.

They rebuilt a really shoddy 1917 Overland on Sunday night's show, was neat to see how it was brought back to life. A '68 Camaro that they bought on-line, the seller claimed 'it just has some surface rust' and it was a complete rotted out turd. A '79 Fiat (?) some guy bought on line, and looked OK until they started doing some repair work, another you-got-took story for the buyer. Car was actually unsafe.

I see more car shows on the way, 'Garage Squad' and 'Bitchin' Rides'.

The most aggravating thing I see in these shows, is how they are 'showing' the public how 'smart' they are by buying old cars on the cheap, doing some crappy basic work and (wait for it)........... FLIPPING the car for instant wealth. I've tried selling a couple of our cars in the last year, to make room for another and every instance has been some yo-yo trying to get the car for a third of it's worth so they can re-sell it and make some easy money. I gave up trying to sell anything it isn't worth the hassle. Thanks to the wave of reality TV car shows
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Nabco

Who really knows what goes on behind the scenes in any reality show, what they agree to buy a car for and what they agree to sell it for could be totally fabricated...I have first hand experience on how UN-real these reality shows are.

I had friends on Americas Got Talent this season, they made it into the live show rounds and were eliminated. How their performances were manipulated is amazing and they are under NDA's to not disclose anything to the public...it almost seems like it is fixed and they make it so the acts that they want to go through go through and the ones they don't are eliminated.

I enjoy watching the car shows though for the entertainment value and a lot of times the beauty of what they create. I catch my wife watching marathon reruns of Counting Cars, she says that Danny creates rolling pieces of Art.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
SLPreston53

The topper to the Fast N Loud deal was when they couldn't get the doors to line up so they decided to cut and weld to fix it instead of using the shims that we use...I like hot rods, but my heart sank when I saw them cut up that coupe. All these TV shows use the same rationale; that it is cheaper to buy a nice car than it is to fix a rust bucket. May be true, but what about preserving antique cars as a high value, too?
Old 08-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Purdy Swoft

I also like hot rods but would never cut up a model A. I'm a do em like you want em kind of guy and don't let such things bother me.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-19-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

For you folks that criticize these shows, THERE'S THE OFF BUTTON!
Most of the times when I watch them, I "pick up" a good trick or two! Sorta' like watchin' COOKIN' shows!
Bill W.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #20
Pinstripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Your right!! I try to save my "Old Hot Rod Crap" for my '55 Ranchwagon that I "modified" way back when I didn't know any better... but still own and enjoy along with "The A" so I can feed my addiction.

very nice ride
Closed Thread