Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #1
cjc56

Default Are all 312 cams(stock) the same??

I have a 312 that I would like to put in my 56 tbird that came out of a 57 ford truck. There are a lot of things that I will need to switch from my old engine(which is not rebuildable) to this one: intake, valley cover oil pan, carb(teapot), distrub(dual vac advance) etc. I know that this 57 engine was rebuilt STOCK a few miles back, so should this cam be the same as the 56 that I have to replace? And should my distrub work with this cam?
cjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
Hoosier Hurricane

Default Re: Are all 312 cams(stock) the same??

First off, Ford did not install a 312 in any truck. That's not to say someone did not install one though. To answer your question, the '57 cam was a better cam than the '56, and your carb and distributor will work fine with a '57 cam. If the 312 came from a '58-'60 Merc, it will have the equivalent of a '56 cam.

John
Hoosier Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
billwill

I think there was cam for the 312 that was different for a 312 with a Super gharger
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
cjc56

I am sure that this engine was not super charge. Thanks for the information. I hope then when this engine was rebuilt they used the 57 cam, but not sure.
cjc56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc56 View Post
I know that this 57 engine was rebuilt STOCK a few miles back, so should this cam be the same as the 56 that I have to replace? And should my distrub work with this cam?
Here's some reading material about '57 Ford performance engines. But the camshaft info is very limited.
http://automotivemileposts.com/tbird...57engines.html
http://www.supercars.net/cars/5352.html
Since the chances of your '57(?) 312 having one of the dual quad or supercharged '57 camshafts is basically zero, I'd answer your original question... Yes, if your '56 distributor is working correctly it will work perfectly fine with the cam in the 'stock' 57 engine. Any slight difference between the 'base' cams for the two yrs is functionally irrelevant.
I'm assuming you're swapping distributors to keep the tach drive.

FYI: I've seen recommendations from several senior members to advance the initial timing setting approx 4 to 6(?) degrees more than the factory setting, for better overall performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc56 View Post
There are a lot of things that I will need to switch from my old engine(which is not rebuildable) to this one: intake, valley cover oil pan, carb(teapot), distrub(dual vac advance) etc.
Is the engine that was in the truck a 2bbl or 4bbl? If it's a 4bbl which intake manifold (ECZ-A or ECZ-B) and carburetor does it have? Are you sure it's a '57 312 engine?

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-26-2014 at 08:38 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote