Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2023, 10:49 AM   #1
Silverado

Default Tudor seats in a Fordor?

Being 6'4" it seems the 30/31 tudor is most comfortable with seats that are easy to adjust back. However I would really like a 31 fordor so people could ride in back seat. Trouble is if you move the front bench back I'm not sure you could get in the back through the doors. I know this is an odd ball thought but has anyone ever put the tudor seats in a fordor? That way you could leave one front seat more forward to allow people to load the back from the passenger side. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is or isn't possible, thanks in advance!
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Tudor seats in a Fordor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Being 6'4" it seems the 30/31 tudor is most comfortable with seats that are easy to adjust back. However I would really like a 31 fordor so people could ride in back seat. Trouble is if you move the front bench back I'm not sure you could get in the back through the doors. I know this is an odd ball thought but has anyone ever put the tudor seats in a fordor? That way you could leave one front seat more forward to allow people to load the back from the passenger side. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is or isn't possible, thanks in advance!
I have the front seat on my '31 Town Sedan pushed all the way back and no significant issue with accessing the rear seat. I'm 6'0.

Why don't you just get a Tudor? The doors are quite a bit larger than the Fordor.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:12 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

Should work very nicely, although stock tudor seats aren't the most comfortable seats that I've ever sat on, it's like sitting on a barrel. There are other seats that people use that might be better, ask on this site. I used Opel seats and they fit nicely. I've seen Mustang seats but I think they have to be narrowed slightly???
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
ModelA29

The Tudor is the easy answer but if your friends aren't 5'8" agile 150 pounders getting in and out of the back seat can be difficult. I agree the Tudor seats are not comfortable. Narrowed Mustang seats would look like - well narrowed Mustang seats. How about something from a 60' British sports car?
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
Silverado

Maybe the best would be to move the bench seat back and mount it then if someone is loading into the back move it forward on the tracks? That might be an option also. I've driven a 31 fordor with the seat all the way back and it was uncomfortable so I'll have to do something if I go that route.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
ronn

Narrowed Mustang seats would look like - well narrowed Mustang seats. How about something from a 60' British sports car?

copy that.......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quite honestly, any type of bucket seat is going to look WAY out of place IMHO.

If I were you, I would choose one of two ways. Either make a split bench out of the stock front seat frame and use foam in lieu of springs. In others words, stagger the passenger seat from the drivers seat by 6-8 inches yet have both seat halves as one unit that can move on the stock tracks. Many vintage cars from the era offered such a seating arrangement, and this way the seat is pretty much always in position.

The other option is to convert the standard front seat adjustor to a powered front seat moving on tracks. On the pillar post at the level near the driver's left shoulder, install a power switch where the driver can stand outside of the L/F door and reach in to power the seat forward when passengers are loading or unloading. Then once the rear seat passengers are finished, the front seat can be motored to the position that best fits the driver. Nothing would look out of place and I think it would be quite convenient. My late wife's Volvo C70 had that option so the seat could be motored forwards while the bucket seat still folded forward so there was plenty of room for the rear passengers to get in/out of the vehicle.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:57 PM   #8
MrTheRich

Why can't people right in the back of a Tudor?

I have a Tudor, and i have no issue with passengers in the back. This weekend even did a charity tour for very elderly people, and with a little support they could still get into the back seat.

The Tudor is very spacious in the back, and with the passenger seat folded all the way forwards There is a lot of space for people to maneuver to get inside. Also the Tudor rear seats are very comfy (if properly furnished) might want to put in some small pillows on the side for armrests.

Sure it's a little more convenient for people to get into the rear. But if you just want to drive the occasional passenger in the back for fun, go for comfort for you as a driver.

Although, the bench of the Fordor is a little more stable to sit on i have to say. The Tudor seat have no side support to hold you upright in corners. But not terribly so.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:24 PM   #9
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Maybe the best would be to move the bench seat back and mount it then if someone is loading into the back move it forward on the tracks? That might be an option also. I've driven a 31 fordor with the seat all the way back and it was uncomfortable so I'll have to do something if I go that route.
In my '30 Town Sedan I moved the front seat back 3" and bent the shifter ~2" toward the navigator. I am 6'2" and it is very comfortable. There is plenty of room for passengers to get in the back seat.

I would not put Tudor Seats in a Fordor. Tudor seats would look awful and the Fordor seat is way more comfortable.

Lots of room for passengers.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Seat.jpg (80.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Passengers.jpg (77.5 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-17-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 09:59 PM   #10
JayJay

Grandkids in the back seat - that's livin'!

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:12 PM   #11
w.michael

Have you tried getting into the back seat of a Fordor? There is a learning curve. The suicide doors and the rear fender location make it a bit awkward, especially until you get used to it. Every person has to work out their own formula for getting in. I don't really think it's much easier than getting into the back seat of a Tudor.

Just my opinion. Your experience may vary.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:27 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Grandkids in the back seat - that's livin'!
You got that right JayJay!! It's the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
Have you tried getting into the back seat of a Fordor? There is a learning curve. The suicide doors and the rear fender location make it a bit awkward, especially until you get used to it. Every person has to work out their own formula for getting in. I don't really think it's much easier than getting into the back seat of a Tudor.

Just my opinion. Your experience may vary.

W. Michael
I think we can agree on that but the OP was concerned about room in the front seat, he's 6'4".
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:13 AM   #13
Oldbluoval

Average height in 1930 was 5’8”. Likely car designed with that as an average parameter.
I serious doubt making a 6’4” comfortable in a model a is possible….
And still operate the car!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote