Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Bob Leonard

Default Bringing 1931 Roadster back to life

I have a few Model A repair questions.

First, a little background. I restored a 1928 Model A pickup when I was about 17. My dad gave me a true junker and said that I could have it if I rebuilt it. I disassembled it (to the frame) and reassembled it. I had professionals do the chromework, woodwork, inside engine work and similar "craft" jobs, but took it apart, put it back together, and did a lot of the engine work myself.

But that was almost 50 years ago and I have no confidence in my memory about quite a bit that the things that I did with ease then.

I traded the pickup in on a 1931 Sport Roadster long ago and drove it occasionally for years. Almost four years ago, I moved and put it in a shed. Now I want to get it running again with the help of my son. This is all to say that neither of us has as much talent or skill at this as I would like. I would appreciate some help.

Obviously, the fuel system is a first concern. We removed the carburetor and soaked most of it in carburetor cleaner. I blew out the various vents and tubes with my compressor.

The gas (what there is left of it, has pretty much turned to varnish or gone to where deceased gas goes. I intend to siphon whatever is left out.

What else do I need to do to the fuel system? Is this something that I need an expert to do? In the day, I took apart and repaired several "A" carburetors and don't remember any particular problems.

Next, I will approach the electrical system. The battery (rather obviously) needs to be replaced. I intend to replace the spark plugs just for good measure and to reset the points. I intend to have a new condenser handy, just in case. What else do I need to do to the spark delivery system?

Next, I will change the oil and grease everything that I can find that has a grease fitting.

What am I missing?

Also, please feel free to point me to any publications, books, or forums that would help. If anyone wants, I would be happy to chronical our "adventures" in getting this car rolling again. As much as I want the car going again, this is more about doing a project with my son.

Thanks for any response. I can be reached at [email protected] if someone wants to respond outside the forum. Also, I apologize in advance if you see this in multiple forums, but I intend to publish it in at least three to improve my chances for a good response.
Bob Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
GregLast

Default Re: Bringing 1931 Roadster back to life

Hey Bob!

Glad to hear you are getting the A back up to snuff and getting to spend some time with your son.

I'm about to be doing something similar and I've been gathering resources. This one came to mind. http://www.modelabasics.com

You mentioned grease fittings and there is a link on there to a Lubrication chart.

Good Luck!
GregLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
glenn in camino

You should probably drop the oil pan and have it hot tanked to remove all the sludge. Have a radiator shop rod out the core. Change the oil in the trans and diff, grease the wheel bearings. I'm sure other barners will have more suggestions. Good luck.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
mshmodela

Great story, good luck with your car.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Russell in Tulsa

Get the books and study before you grab that grease gun! Do NOT grease the steering box. Use the 600w heavy oil or use the search feature for others recommendations. Youtube is also a fun place to find a few ideas and suggestions, something the boy could do also. But, ask here before you take any of those videos as gospel. Wish my son showed any interest in my '30 Std coupe. Have fun in your endeavor.
Welcome,
Russell
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
Goldhardt

Hey Bob! Just take plenty of pictures and don't forget to share some of them with us!
Goldhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

In addition to the fuel, change the oil, clean the points, and plugs and let her rip.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 AM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Don't do too much to it. If it ran well when you put it to bed, it probably only needs a little clean up and tender care. Here is the playlist of all of my "How To" videos on the A. Should be of some help to you. Good luck. jack
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rIa0r_fFQcz4R0
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Bob Leonard

Thanks for responding and for the tips, suggestions, and especially the encouragement. I intend to check here every weekend before starting to work.

In fact, I am slowing down until I get the books in that people have suggested and have had a chance to view some of the web pages and videos. I don't want to rush in a make a bigger mess.

Thanks again, y'all are great. And I will take pictures and post them.
Bob Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote