Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2024, 11:57 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default New to me

So I get ready to start the car. Crank it a bit and it seems to be spinning over fine, but it may be a bit flooded as it doesn't start. Then from up in the front I hear a "thunk" sound and there is no more spinning of the starter and nothing electrical works. There is a slight buzzing sound from the starter solenoid and that's it, No lights, horn or anything else. This is a 12 volt negative ground setup. Battery won't take a charge, though lights and horn work with the charger hooked up. Left charge on for an hour and check, battery is stone dead. So What was the "Thunk" sound? Battery shorting out internally? In the morning I will try to charge the battery out of the car then take it to the parts house and have it tested. Can't say this has ever happened to me before, but that's exactly what the guy said when his horse died, "It never did that before." Any thoughts? I'm no electrician. Thanks in advance, Dave Mc Arthur
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:19 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: New to me

Bendix jammed?can you hand crank the motor over, or rock it in high gear.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:05 AM   #3
Big hammer

Bendix engaged with the flywheel, what causes the bendix to disengage, engine turning faster than the starter, with a fresh new charged battery will it turn the engine over with the bendix engaged, fingers crossed . While the battery is out, clean the chassis grounds and battery cables , it’s a PIA or PIB to remove and reinstall the battery!!!
Old 04-23-2024, 09:14 AM   #4
Planojc

Try putting it in third gear and rock the car back and forth to see if the bendix will release.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:45 PM   #5
abachman3

If it is the Bendix, you will hear a definite "clunk" when you rock it back and forth in third gear.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:06 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

The fact that the starter's Bendix drive has probably jammed itself against the ring gear teeth would not create the loss of lights and horn. I think you have two problems going on here.
1. The starter's shaft may be slightly bent from too many kick-back starts over the years without fully retarding the timing upon startup. Sometimes pushing down too hard or fast on the starter rod will cause a jam. Also, don't engage the starter while the engine is still turning after a misstart. Wait until the flywheel comes to a complete rest. To free up the stuck starter drive, follow the suggestions posted above. Be SURE that the ignition key is off when rocking the car. Otherwise, it COULD start up and take off!
2. Your battery may indeed be dead, since no electrical components now work and the battery won't take a charge. But it's rather coincidental that the starter jams and the electrical circuit fails at the same time. I suggest unbolting the battery's ground strap at the center crossmember and sanding down the area where the strap is bolted to the frame crossmember. Get it down to bare metal and shiny. Also scrape the side of the ground strap's flat end that comes into contact with the crossmember. A poor ground develops here as moisture and rust create a barrier between the battery ground strap and the metal frame. That will create a poor ground that will affect everything electrical in the car. This is especially true with 6volt systems, but 12volt systems also require a good, clean ground. With the old battery out for replacement, now would be the ideal time to freshen up the ground connection.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:07 AM   #7
David in San Antonio

Besides having the ignition off when rocking the car to release the Bendix gear, also be sure the parking brake is off. I was panting and seeing bright flashes of light before I realized the brake was holding the car from moving.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is online now   Reply With Quote