Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Rebuild horn button and horn rod wire

I need to replace the horn rod before putting the roof on my huckster. The attached photos show the four pieces to be used, but the instructions are seriously lacking in adequate detail, and I haven't found anything better through the search function or google. The instructions do not acknowledge the existence of a brass tip already attached to the wire. As I studied the components, I drew the attached sketch and need to know if this is correct. Even if it is, in the lower left corner the instructions say to cut flush after solder. What is to be cut? Should i assume that upon completion the lower terminal cup and lower brass cup are in constant electrical contact ? It would appear that the purpose of the horn button is to short the upper brass contact to the horn rod. Is that correct? Sorry to be so dense, but these parts are too small to replace by fabrication, and shipping is time consuming and expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1487.jpg (45.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1489.jpg (39.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1490.jpg (35.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1488.jpg (56.4 KB, 72 views)
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #2
40-A Twins

Default Re: Rebuild horn button and horn rod wire

There should be an insulator for the bottom end and none of those parts appear to be it. I made this insulator from a piece of hard plastic because the old one had broken and gone like yours. the insulator keeps the cup centered so it won't touch the tube and cause a short. Unsolder the old brass cup and clean the old solder off in case the new cup is a poor fit. This cup is the final solder location and any protruding wire will need to be clipped off and filed off smooth.
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
swo4rd

hey Russell, my son and his friend did this while i oversaw and the job is easy. Pull the wire through the brass end on the end that goes into the spider ...your third picture...grab it with a pair of pliers and push the brass fitting down into the rod...once this is tight, solder the hole up and then clip the wire that is sticking out. Test for continuity with the button depressed, closed when it is not depressed and if it works, then install it in the steering arm...its amazing how these analog things were engineered and still work today...we did that four years ago and it is remarkable how strong the horn circuit still is.
If continuity is not there, then go to rule two...do it again, only this time right.
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
Russell Reay

It is so hot my brain is fried. Attached is my sketch for critique or approval
Attached Files
File Type: pdf horn rod wire.pdf (19.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The bottom end has to be electrically insulated from the rod. The insulation is stripped back for the fit into the bottom contact with the insulator piece and cup. The wire length is likely a bit long so it can work for the different length light switch rods used in the model A years. Some rods are an inch longer than others but the way the spider fits on the bottom is the same on all of them.

I have to assume that the end with the brass terminal installed is the top but i don't know. I haven't done one of these yet but I've looked at all the diagrams and that's the way I see it anyway. The horn switch is grounded at the top to the steering shaft to operate the horn. There should be a very thin brass hat bushing that fits in the top of the steering shaft. This tightens the fit of the horn/light switch rod where it enters the hollow steering shaft. Some of the new reproduction horn rods are a bit too tight to fit in there correctly. The horn/light switch rod has to remain loose enough in the steering shaft so that the switch will remain in a fixed place otherwise turning the steering wheel will also try to turn the horn rod and switch the lights on or off during a turn.

You never know what problems you might encounter with stuff like this and especially where reproduction parts are concerned. They aren't always the same dimensions they should be.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
woofa.express

This fixed it.

I was tired of difficulties with the horn and light contacts so I changed the setup. I set up a small panel attached to the steering column to which I mounted the horn and light switch along with a blinker switch for the newly installed blinker system. I installed a 12V system and regret not installing the new and excellent starter system. I don’t plan on making any other changes. I love it just the way it is now.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #7
Ray in La Mesa

Your sketch looks right to me.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:03 AM   #8
Russell Reay

Thanks, Ray. Now I need to find someone who knows how to solder. I am good with plumbing and a propane torch, but I have no experience with this fine electrical work. Sorry for all the difficulties with posting the pdf. I didn't understand how it appears on the computer screen
Old 07-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #9
rotorwrench

A good electric soldering iron and some resin core solder is all a person needs for most electrical stuff. I always keep a wet towel of some type to keep the tip clean.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote