Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2022, 10:17 AM   #21
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Sales Slowing Down????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Zeke "If" we do it, it will be tonight or tommorow night..

Follow Partswapper on Instagram. He is a great source for selling things as well since eBay has went down the tube a bit. Also irontrapfinds is a good one to follow.
Michael, don't sell anything I'll want to purchase when I visit soon....
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:54 PM   #22
itslow

It’s November. Not exactly car buying season for most folks.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #23
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Tinker, The $5 day had its benefits and its problems. It was a huge public relations win for Ford while proving to be a failed social engineering experiment. That 5 dollar bill had so many strings attached to it that it alienated his own employees. Can you imagine your employer sending men to your home unannounced to investigate your home life?

I think you are thinking of Harry Bennett the union buster. Maybe what your thinking? The 5$ dollar day was 1914. Harry didn't start till the 20's an was fired in the 40s

Today info is everywhere. Something you say today is there tomorrow. The idea of worrying about big brother is mute.

Advertising and marketing is always an interesting endeavor. Lets say you post an add on a savoy well educated buyer market like hemmings or a less educated eager buying crowd like other new forums. Results may or will be different. How will the car fair... who knows.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-04-2022 at 12:00 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:14 PM   #24
Ford Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
It’s November. Not exactly car buying season for most folks.
If someone (myself included) wants somthing bad enough it don't matter what month or time of the year it is. Heck, in the past I have sold cars & parts 2 days before X-Mass! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Let's not forget that today's 40-60 year old vintage car enthusiasts didn't grow up with a romantic attraction to flathead V8s. Instead, they want the car that the cool kid drove in high school but was beyond the budget of the kid washing dishes on weekends for gas money. Sellers are getting big money for VW vans, early broncos and stuff like this.....https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...uiser-fj40-52/
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #26
Ford Freak

Good point GB ^^
Old 11-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #27
40ford

Wow! 270K for a Toyota Jeep!Sorry I just can't see it.What do think it will be worth 20 years from now?
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #28
busmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Let's not forget that today's 40-60 year old vintage car enthusiasts didn't grow up with a romantic attraction to flathead V8s. Instead, they want the car that the cool kid drove in high school but was beyond the budget of the kid washing dishes on weekends for gas money. Sellers are getting big money for VW vans, early broncos and stuff like this.....https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...uiser-fj40-52/
Being a bus guy and having bought/sold 40’ish buses, I must say. The bus, in my opinion, is the most iconic (or one of the) vehicle ever built. Doesn’t matter if it’s a ‘54 barn door 23 window or a 71 bay window, everyone knows the bus. They will always hold their value (as Will any classic imo…they ain’t making them anymore after all). It’s crazy the amount of kids, adults, grandparent etc that come up to me when driving mine with some sort of story about bus memories. Everyone knows the bus (they aren’t vans btw). But yeah, the money they bring now is crazy. Although the bus market has also flattened a bit in the last 2years but it’s still crazy but you don’t see as many of the “wtf is that price” buses being sold except at the look at me look at me auctions. That land cruiser is crazy but I feel like for some people those have the same “gotta have it” sentiment whereas (no offense) the old fords chevys etc just don’t have that same cult following. Anyway, I just bought my first Ford and couldn’t be happier. Tired of going slow in buses (though I’ll always own one).
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Being a bus guy and having bought/sold 40’ish buses, I must say. The bus, in my opinion, is the most iconic (or one of the) vehicle ever built. Doesn’t matter if it’s a ‘54 barn door 23 window or a 71 bay window, everyone knows the bus. They will always hold their value (as Will any classic imo…they ain’t making them anymore after all). It’s crazy the amount of kids, adults, grandparent etc that come up to me when driving mine with some sort of story about bus memories. Everyone knows the bus (they aren’t vans btw). But yeah, the money they bring now is crazy. Although the bus market has also flattened a bit in the last 2years but it’s still crazy but you don’t see as many of the “wtf is that price” buses being sold except at the look at me look at me auctions. That land cruiser is crazy but I feel like for some people those have the same “gotta have it” sentiment whereas (no offense) the old fords chevys etc just don’t have that same cult following. Anyway, I just bought my first Ford and couldn’t be happier. Tired of going slow in buses (though I’ll always own one).
Believe me, I get it. I'm still in my 60's and that toyota 'jeep' statement we saw earlier could get a guy crucified for referring to a 'heep' when describing a landcruiser. Like you with your bus I will always have a landcruiser. They have coexisted on my property for over 40 years and seem to get along well together, even producing a mongrel son. Oh, and I'll be 70 in May.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:32 PM   #30
35fordtn

I’ll say this.. I spent lots of money in expenses and a week at Hershey. Partswapper guy on I Instagram and I did a live swap meet on Instagram for 45 minutes on two small tables of stuff last night. I sold in dollar terms half the amount in 45 minutes than I did in a whole week at Hershey without the hotels and fuel… I love swap meets and will continue them but the internet seems to be the new way of the world…..
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:41 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
I’ll say this.. I spent lots of money in expenses and a week at Hershey. Partswapper guy on I Instagram and I did a live swap meet on Instagram for 45 minutes on two small tables of stuff last night. I sold in dollar terms half the amount in 45 minutes than I did in a whole week at Hershey without the hotels and fuel… I love swap meets and will continue them but the internet seems to be the new way of the world…..
Whoever coined the term 'The information Superhighway' was right on. I have learned to love it. See you West coast guys in Portland next April!
Old 11-05-2022, 05:38 AM   #32
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Good for you. You and East Coast Mike did some neat stuff. I liked the V860 rebuild.

I agree with you. I love Hershey and swap meets and will also continue to go to them, but the reason I think the foot traffic is slowing at these events is for the exact same reason you identified.

I also agree with others that the old Ford market is big with hot rodders, but the buying market for stock Fords is aging out of the market sadly.

A good deal of today's antique car buyers want a car from their past or one they've had personal experience with.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 03:07 PM   #33
Newc

Noticed that my 'customers' buy their Christmas presents for themselves in Oct/ Nov and then do Family shopping in Dec. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:45 PM   #34
1942deluxe

Newc, I always found Hershey to be like Christmas. I get to pick out my own presents and pay for them myself, ha!
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:00 AM   #35
Tinker

If you look at branding. Ford in 1914 created a thought or brand of a car built by the people for the people and gave a 5$ day. It was a brand.

Later he wanted to change that brand. It was difficult. But yet ford still exist even with unions.

Now lets look at a modern version with Elon and twitter. Although very different. It's a very rich guy buying a brand. He wants to change that. While he is surprised at the response of doing so. I guess I wouldn't buy a pizza place with a great client base and decide I was not going to serve pizza but sell t-shirts. Not very wise.

Spring is a badtime to buy a car. Everyone is looking to get on with fun and driving. Why you don't buy a boat in the spring. Best to buy a boat in the fall.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:18 AM   #36
3739ford

I recently posted 4 items on Facebook Market Place and within a week they sold. Yes, 2 seconds after posting I got a response on one of the items asking if they could send me a code. I just responded "NO" and that was the end of that Scammer. I asked reasonable prices and got so many responses I could hardly keep up with them.
3739ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #37
WRA

No problem selling on FB Market place, IG has a much better targeted audience. I don’t see things slowing, reasonably priced parts seem to sell very quickly. eBay is another story, the fees and shipping costs really hurt.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #38
Ford Freak

I have sold many various items on Facebook. My asking price is usually around what I, myself would be willing to pay for it. This has worked out great for me over the years.
If you price something fairly, it will sell surprisingly quick.
If you are greedy, be prepared to have it around for a long, long time! - F F
Old 11-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #39
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Whoever coined the term 'The information Superhighway' was right on. I have learned to love it. See you West coast guys in Portland next April!
The guy who produced "An Inconvenient Truth"