Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #1
37Flat

Default 37 Torque Tube Assembly

When I took my '37 torque tube apart, there was a lot of pieces of the seal and other parts, so nothing to go by to reassemble. Two basic, but important questions. Which way does the front seal face and are you supposed to pack the bearing? This is an early '37 with no center bearing. Just when you think you know what your doing, you get proven wrong.

Thanks,

Chris
37Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 37 Torque Tube Assembly

The seal is there to keep the grease in the bearing, speedometer gear, and U-joint housing and keep dirt and moisture out. It's a good idea to pack the front bearing, get grease over the speedometer gear as well as the splines on the drive shaft and the inner u-joint cover & outer U-joint cover halfs and the flared end of the torque tube inside and out before assembly. You would install the seal the same as the wheel seals are installed to keep the grease in the wheel bearings and dirt out.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
Ken/Alabama

The seal goes in first with the sealing lip towards the transmission. That way any pressure build up from the rear end can push past the seal and vent. Pack the roller bearing with grease.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
jimTN

If you have not figured it out already, the sleave bearing has to come out to replace the seal.
jimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
37Flat

Thanks to all for the information. Now I can start putting things back together.
37Flat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
walt jones

Hi guys dont mean to steal the thread but think that I have a pertinent question. How do you get the sleave bearing race,as mentioned by Jim above, back into its position, as it springs apart when it is removed ? It seats in an area smaller than the front of the tube.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #7
deuce_roadster

That sleeve or race for the bearing has a dimple in it that locates it in a depression and keeps it from spinning. Look for both of these things and it will become apparent how it goes.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #8
JM 35 Sedan

I made a ring that compresses that bearing. Then you can insert the bearing while aligning the dimple with the depression, and tap the bearing in place with someting softer than the bearing. The ring just falls out of the way as the bearing goes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt jones View Post
Hi guys dont mean to steal the thread but think that I have a pertinent question. How do you get the sleave bearing race,as mentioned by Jim above, back into its position, as it springs apart when it is removed ? It seats in an area smaller than the front of the tube.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-03-2014 at 11:18 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:49 AM   #9
fordscript

I have come across 37 torque tubes where it doen't have the 'dimple' type bearing race... has a thicker one piece sleeve that is real difficult to remove.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #10
Talkwrench

Yes the ' open' end goes towards the trans.. Now this can be the 'soft' side depending on what type of seal you have .. I've just done mine and it was a PITA to get started . I used the apropreate sized socket on an extension .. Once it started to go I thought yup drove it in.. However I did not feel it go home and hit it a few more times than I should.. It's pushed the metal edge back towards the seal, it not real special but I think it will be ok. So go a bit at a time to make sure , my mistake may help you get yours just right..