Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
Stan/MO.

Default Removing & reinstalling body

I bought a completly restored frame and running gear for my coupe. I'm getting ready to take my body off and put it on the new frame. I've never done this before...and I'd like to know if there are any hints you guys could give me on this job to make it as easy as possible. I plan on buying new body blocks and rubber pads...is there anything else I'll need? If I get the body off...can I take the fenders,running boards and splash aprons off in one piece, or do I need to take them apart? I have no plans for any body restoration. Any advice,hints,or tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stan
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Removing & reinstalling body

Removing the steering column and gear shift makes it much easier to lift the body onto the frame, or off the frame.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan/MO. View Post
If I get the body off...can I take the fenders,running boards and splash aprons off in one piece, or do I need to take them apart?
Sorry they do not make a "clip". You will have to remove them one at a time.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Doug in NJ

Make sure the new frame is actually square! Make some diagonal measurements between points on the corners, or between bolt holes.

Do you have new rubber pads? Are the old body blocks OK?
Does the frame already have rear bumper supports installed? If you are planning to transfer your existing ones to the new frame, you will have to do it while the body is in a "suspended state" between the old and new frames. If you have provlems getting the bumper supports transferred, the body could be in that state for several days.

Doug
Old 02-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

New frame welting should be added to the list. Use a hole punch backed up by a piece of hardwood or flat brass. The holes can be oversized to make bolt alignment easier.
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
jrelliott

You will have to remove the fenders and running boards especially as they are attached to the frame by brackets in addition to steering couumn, gear shift lever, ignition cable and a few other things. It makes it a lot easier to move around without the fenders. Lifted my body off for restoration with a scissor jack, hydraulic jack, and many blocks of wood. Placed the body on landscape timbers supported by concrete blocks. Also place the fenders and other items on blankets or places they wont get scratched. Good Luck
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
Doug in NJ

And of course the splash shields...

The "How to Restore" book (vol 1) has a great line:

Body removal is like turning over a rock -- no telling what you may find.

Doug
Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

If you have 4 or 6 guys lifting the body using 2 x 4's make sure the boards don't have large knots. Some of us were lifting a body once and the board broke at the knot. No damage was done as it broke right away when the lift began.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Stan/MO.

Thanks guys for all of the responses... I'll be sure to write all of them down. Usually when I do something, I try to map it all out in my mind before I start...but there always seems to be that " OH CRAP " moment when you realize you forgot to unhook something. Like I said...this is my first time removing a body, but I've changed alot of engines and transmissions in my time. By the way...what does a coupe body weigh? I've got my floor boards out and getting ready to take out the seat. I think that's about all the extra weight I can take out.. I really enjoyed reading everybodys post...and all were very helpful. Thanks again, and I'll try to let you know how it goes. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible, but I'm a little slow. All my friends tell me it takes me an hour and a half to watch sixty minutes.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
spike

you should make sure you are not putting a 29 body on a 30 or 31 frame..you didnt say what year the car was and what year the frame was????? Just a thought buddy...good luck
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
wi0v

I just removed the body on my town sedan. Used six 2X4 Studs and put 3' pieces between them so that every one was moving the same speed. Then with 6 more studs I made a rolling frame. Removed the wheels from an old furniture dolley and screwed them to the bottom of two of the studs. used two studs for the body to set on and Cut 4, one ft pieces for uprights and screwed (Deck Screws) to the Bottom studs with wheels and the other stud for the car to set on. Cut one stud, to the width of the car body, and used some 1X2's for cross braces on the sides and ends. Now the body rolls around easily and you can stand in the center to work on the interior (I have to replace all the interior wood). You don't even have to fasten the body to the top studs unless you want to. The other nice thing is if you don't cut the bottom and top studs they can be reused for another project. Photo's available on request!!
[email protected]
wi0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
wi0v

Attached a photo of the car body dolly for those that want to see what it looks like. Nothing fancy but very easy to do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3866.jpg (64.5 KB, 88 views)
[email protected]
wi0v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

You may want to do a couple of other things before you put on the body. First of all make sure your frame is straight. To check this, run a chalk line from the front to the back and see if it sags by the rear motor mounts. If if does, get it straightened otherwise your hood will not fit correctly.
Second you may want to put in a new wiring package. If the old one does not look good or if you want to install turn signals, this is a good time to put in a new wiring harness.
Below if the picture works, is a picture of us putting on my body. We had just the two of us (plus a dog) to do it. We used a chain lifter in the front and a motor lifter in the back. I made "hooks" out of angle iron to hook under the firewall in front and the back of the body. If you would like, PM me and I will send you pictures. Hope the picture works and does not take up the whole internet.

Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #14
Stan/MO.

wi0v... That definatley makes it mobil thanks for the pic.
spike... My car is a 30 coupe...and the frame is 30 coupe, had a 30 coupe body on it. A very nice guy on the H.A.M.B. bought it as an unfinished restoration, and took the body off and built a hotrod. Luckily they started the restoration from the ground up. The frame and running gear has been totally restored from the radiator back. New radiator, rebuilt motor, new clutch,trans, and rear end..new brakes, new springs and shackles, everything new on the front end. Anything you can think of has been done and done properly on this frame and running gear. The only thing you can hear when the motor is running is the exhaust. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm bragging, that's not my intention, I'm just happy to tell someone about it. I'd like to find out who did all the work. I was told the original owner didn't do the work himself, he had a restoration shop do it. All I know is it has everything my car needed...and that put me way ahead of the game, plus it was only 200 miles from my place. Sorry for being so windy, but to say the least, I'm Thrilled!!!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
Stan/MO.

Hey Fred,
Doug in NJ mentioned checking the frame to make sure it is square and straight, so I'm definatly going to do that. I had actually planned on doing that anyway. I was a plumber for 35 yrs. And I have this strange obssesion with things being straight and square, but as I said, I appreciate any and all advice I can get on this venture. My guess is I'm going to have to have plenty of PB Blaster.

Thanks again
Stan