Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
TradModelA

Default Model AR

Why is a early model A called an "AR"? I know what the differences are i just cant find out what the significance of the "R" is. Were these low production or fairly common? Thanks.
TradModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Model AR

When a part was revised and no longer used in production the suffix was revised to the next letter and an “R” was added to indicate this part was no longer used in production but needed to be stocked to repair vehicles that had already been delivered. I don’t know if the “R” stood for repair or replacement but either makes sense (or maybe something else). The largest single group of changes occurred early with the replacement of the brake system. These early cars that utilized a large number of parts carrying the suffix “AR” were generally referred to as “AR” cars by the people in the hobby (but not by Ford). Although not as common, parts with the suffix “BR” exist as well as parts that were introduced later in production.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Ken Ehrenhofer

Charlie is correct and it was a mistake in the early 60's by Model A Restorers to use that term. We should not use it any more and refer to cars built in 1927 and about the first 6 months of 1928 as "early 28's". Of course now we have a new region and I believe it is called the "27ers". This is a fun way of referring to this group who either own or are interested in those extremely early cars.
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
mot

this may have had a little to do with the nomenclature
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-003S.JPG (33.6 KB, 297 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Jim Parker Toronto

Thanks, MOT! if Henry called them AR's, why can't we? (boy this is really stir things up..)
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Thanks, MOT! if Henry called them AR's, why can't we? (boy this is really stir things up..)
Jim,

Henry called the part AR (because the suffix to the part was AR), not the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
TradModelA

Found my old post from years ago, funny I know own one of these early 28 cars. However, mine is a mix mash of 28 and 30 parts , visually appearing as all 1928. The date on the gas tank is 6/ 1928. Does this make the cut off to be early?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
redmodelt

The AR's also used different wheels and the parking brake handle was next to the cowl.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

With a June 1928 I would think you have the separate parking brake and later style 21" wheels, and if so then this would be considered a later 28 Model A.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
TradModelA

I have the brake handle on the left by the cowl and 21inch wheels. How do you ID the early wheels? Mine have the center cap that says made in USA.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Last edited by TradModelA; 02-04-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Pinesdune

It's the thickness of the hub in the center, the early wheel is about 1 1/8" the later is about 1 3/8", the larger Center allows clearance for the larger rear brake drum that encases the ebrake, the early 28's ebrake engages the cars 4 wheel brakes.

MrTexas was kind enough to send me info on the differences between the early and later cars, if you want a copy, just PM me and I'll send a copy your way

Looking for the front bumper emblem that has "Ford, Made In Canada"
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
Bob Johnson

Did You Know that some of the parts unique to the Convertible Sedan (400A not A-400) Had the AR suffixes. Does that make all 400As AR cars?

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Johnson View Post
Did You Know that some of the parts unique to the Convertible Sedan (400A not A-400) Had the AR suffixes. Does that make all 400As AR cars?

Bob
Since the "AR" designation commonly used as the "early 28", and was never officially used by Ford to designate those cars, I would think not.

The "R" in this case most likely is used to designate Ford Factory "Replacement" parts.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseg View Post
Does that make all 400As AR cars?
royal 1688
No not at all.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
With a June 1928 I would think you have the separate parking brake and later style 21" wheels, and if so then this would be considered a later 28 Model A.
My Canadian built, Australian assembled phaeton is June 28 according to the stamping on the firewall. It originally had the early style parking brake and the early style wheels (however it now sits on a '29 rolling chassis).

Canadian production may have had a later changeover to the later features?
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #16
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
My Canadian built, Australian assembled phaeton is June 28 according to the stamping on the firewall. It originally had the early style parking brake and the early style wheels (however it now sits on a '29 rolling chassis).

In the Restoration Guidlines it states that any production change over dates to new parts usually took effect up to 3 months later in Canada
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Ronnie Lawson

What is the definition for the AR 3.pdf
There is no such model as Model AR to begin with.
Read the attachment for what an AR is.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #18
Clem Clement

AR:
Always Rusting
Always Rattling
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 AM   #19
todd3131

Until I started reading this web site a couple of years ago I had never heard the term early 28 which isn't a Ford term anymore than ar is or deciding to call them 400 a instead of a400. Who decided that this is wrong and to change the nomenclature? It seems to me someone has way too much time on their hands to change something that works just fine.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post

Genarally, the change over date is about 6 months after the USA change over for Australian A's.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:39 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
Until I started reading this web site a couple of years ago I had never heard the term early 28 which isn't a Ford term anymore than ar is or deciding to call them 400 a instead of a400. Who decided that this is wrong and to change the nomenclature? It seems to me someone has way too much time on their hands to change something that works just fine.
Here's the problem, change whose nomenclature, Fords? Ford never used that nomenclature for the early A's. They did use it to denote parts that were never to be used on production cars as has been stated above.

The two national clubs in their documentation don't use AR to denote whole vehicles, Ford as mentioned never used AR to denote whole vehicles, so again whose nomenclature are you speaking of in your statement?

You said "I had never heard the term early 28 which isn't a Ford term" neither is late 1931, May 1929 and your point is what? If you are referring to a group of vehicles, then again I point to the two national clubs as they do recognize a group of vehicles with certain parts as Early 1928 as described in the literature .

And the 400A and A400, 400A IS a Ford term, A400 is not, maybe Ford had too much time on his hands.

The whole point is to bring everyone on the same page as far as nomenclature. These has NEVER been a question here or in any magazine on what is an early 1928, but these have been several what is an AR.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-07-2016 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
pgerhardt

What feature(s) does an early 28 need to have to be an "early 28". I am assuming the brake system with no separate parking brake. I restored a 28 Huckster with an original red steering wheel and a powerhouse generator, but separate parking brake system with the brake lever in front of the shifter. So I guess is was a "sort of early 28".
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 25-Cowl Section.jpeg (179.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg 29Engine.jpeg (270.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 02-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #23
dean from bozeman

The day I first met my boyhood hero, Doc Kalinka, at Hershey is the day that I saw A495 for the first time. On the flight(s) to Hershey from Montana, I reread photocopies of Doc's articles on the early A's, so I would be able to understand what I was going to see. (Aside: At that point my desire was to learn from A495, not "fall in love with it".)

I met Doc over in the old green field. We talked about some of the very early features on A495. Now I must say that even in Doc's old articles some parts were referred to as "AR", but times and the nomenclature had changed. When I said, "AR" Doc corrected me. We continued to talk. I inadvertently said "AR" again in the conversation. Doc stopped, looked me in the eyes and said, 'If you ever say AR again, I'll kick you in the shin'. I didn't and I don't say AR anymore.

P.S. I will not say what it is but I am working on something that may give additional clarity to identification of very early and early Model A parts. Hopefully, I will have it done in time for the ve28 talks that I will be presenting at the MARC and MAFCA national meets this summer.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #24
DougT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
What feature(s) does an early 28 need to have to be an "early 28". I am assuming the brake system with no separate parking brake. I restored a 28 Huckster with an original red steering wheel and a powerhouse generator, but separate parking brake system with the brake lever in front of the shifter. So I guess is was a "sort of early 28".
I've always heard the cars with the E brake lever ahead of the shifter referred to as mid-28. Another non-Ford term!
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #25
Jim Mason

There are also BR, CR, DR parts. You can call the early 28's AR, but I get to call the late 31'S DR.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #26
TradModelA

Did you get any pics of A495? Must be one of the earliest still in existence?
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #27
dean from bozeman

Hi TradModelA,

To complete the story, on my way home I stopped at Gettysburg because I love American history. That night I called my wife and said that if we buy A495 it would be the last Model A I ever bought. We did, but it wasn't.

After 9+ years, A495 was completely restored. Doc Kalinka was the technical adviser. I, with help of many, found the needed parts. Mark Welch and Mark Williamson restored it. Bill Sturm did the top and upholstery.

It has been judged at French Lick (MARC 2014), Puyallup (MAFCA 2014) and Niagara Falls (MARC 2015). It was awarded Best of Show at each meet. Currently it is on display at the MAFFI Museum on the Gilmore Museum campus outside of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

This summer I will take it to the MAFCA (Loveland, CO) and MARC (Toledo, OH) national meets as a prop to help during my seminar of the very early Model A Ford parts.

So TradModel A, I do have a few photos of it. I believe that it is about the six earliest Model A known to exist.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 02-07-2016 at 11:51 AM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #28
Randy in ca

Quote:

Sounds to me like you had a late AR!!
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #29
TradModelA

Until what month of production did they utilize the lefthand park brake handle ?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #30
al's28/33

Supposedly the brake lever (and upgraded braking system implemented) was moved to front of gear shifter in June 1928
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
The restoration guidelines will that that information. It was MARC and MAFCA that first used the and defined the E28 moniker.