Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #41
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Owning a Model A vs model T

You know the Ford was a superior car in Model T and Model A days especially Model A. Chevy's of the era are not real common today. They just couldn't hold up.

One fellow brings a totally stock '29 Chevy Tudor Sedan to the local car shows, car was sold new from a small town near here. I do really enjoy seeing the car I have to admit And at a farm sale last year a '26 Chevy Coupe that was all there solid car needed restored brought some really big $$. Neat car. There is a demand for them.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #42
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
In Cleveland, Ohio i.e. city, the opposite is true, i.e. city speed limits are 25 and 35 mph --just perfect for an A or a T... It's out in the country where the default is 55 mph... The reactions of driving my 31' round my neck of the city is all LOOKS and SMILES... Either car is just fine for city since the speeds are lower than the country...
In Danbury, CT they must have had a H*ll of a sale on 25mph signs since almost every local road is marked 25mph. Some my be as high as 35mph, but not many. In my F-150 that seems ridiculous, but in my model A it seems just right! The problem is that everyone ignores the 25mph signs and tailgates you in the model A.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #43
CarlG

The road in front of our house is 30mph. I live about a half mile in on that "feeder" road. I pretty much monitor my speed at 30 or right under in whatever vehicle I'm in. In that half mile I've seen as many as 5 cars backed up behind me, and when I turn into my driveway, they take off like jackrabbits!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #44
apbright

With a high-compression head (6:1) and an overdrive, I found that a Model A could work as a regular driver (1 ~ 2 times / week on my 40-mile commute) on Bay Area freeways - essentially a car to go anywhere in a modern American city (also European, as I have recently found). I'm sure Model T's are fun, but should be understood as essentially for driving around the neighbourhood.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #45
CarlG

My intent when first getting my Model A over 5 years ago was to make it my daily driver. In fact, for a couple of years, I did drive it to work every day. Only the problems I had with the POS engine that came with the vehicle have prevented that from continuing. But that's about to change as soon as I get my new Ron Kelley engine installed, hopefully later this month.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #46
H. L. Chauvin

Cute vintage (4) coil T-Trick:

Go to the something like a post office or convenience store with a friend.

Back in a parking space, then run in and run out.

Get back in T with warm engine, turn switch "on", do not hit starter, but move spark handle up & down to allow your friend to witness what can happen often in gear.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 02-10-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:56 PM   #47
DougVieyra

Carl G - Be careful Carl - I have one of Ron's engines. It makes you feel like 21 again - strike that - 18 again. And at our age, THAT could be dangerous.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #48
ronn

You know the Ford was a superior car in Model T and Model A days especially Model A. Chevy's of the era are not real common today. They just couldn't hold up.

One fellow brings a totally stock '29 Chevy Tudor Sedan to the local car shows, car was sold new from a small town near here. I do really enjoy seeing the car I have to admit And at a farm sale last year a '26 Chevy Coupe that was all there solid car needed restored brought some really big $$. Neat car. There is a demand for them.

in 1931 Chevy ran circles around Ford in sales.................
problem with the chevys, just too much wood to rot.
The Chevys were a heavier, much more solid car and witht he 6 cylinder engine, took the public by storm. Hence Henry coming out with the v-8 in 32.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #49
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW on early Chevrolets: I remember my paternal grandmother's neighbor, (an old maid) had a very well kept 1932 smooth running original Chevrolet (2) door sedan that her Dad had bought for her in 1932.

She always kept it in an enclosed garage where she backed it out, washed it about every (2) weeks, and drove it right back in. Upholstery was original and in perfect shape. Everything including lights, wiper, etc., worked.

On several occasions, after I had my Model A, in the late 1950's and early 1960's she asked me to drive her to the gas station 5 miles away to buy gas, exercise the engine, and allow the generator to recharge the battery.

To be honest, it appeared and rode far superior to my raggedy 1930 Model A coupe with canvas seat covers, R C Cola metal sign material for side windows, rusty body, no shocks, with a worn out smoking engine, and a wood box that replaced the rumble seat.

Years prior, she said she made several to & from, (total 140 mile), trips going to the nearest city.

It had 6 cylinders, overhead valves, and a pull-out Free Wheeling knob. It had about 51,000 miles on it in about 1965, and it appeared to ride and drive like a very quiet and very well maintained modern car. Her grand nephews sold it in about 1971 for about $1,500.00 and greatly regretted it until today.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:26 PM   #50
DougVieyra

Thank you H. L. Chauvin - you took the time to do what I should have done, and laid out the 'pros' of the Chevrolet, in what might be perceived as 'hostile territory'. I enjoyed my years of driving my 1928 Chevrolet and found it to be superior to my Fords in a number of ways.

But trying to find an axle shaft for it in 1965 was next to impossible. The same for trying to find parts for my 1928 Chandler, and my 1928 Reo, and my 1929 Hupmobile, etc., etc. All these cars were far superior in many ways to the 'low price leader'. But one area where they failed miserably was in that there were few or no parts to keep them going. Their low production numbers (compared to Ford) and their more complicated engineering and manufacturing techniques made for a over-all less reliable and harder to maintain than the more simple Ford. Ford had made a brilliant decision for us when he chose to make a durable and affordable car, with so many spare parts that his lowly Ford would outlast all other marques.

So either a Ford Model T, or a Ford Model A, will make a sound choice for year round 'entertainment'.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #51
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
Carl G - Be careful Carl - I have one of Ron's engines. It makes you feel like 21 again - strike that - 18 again. And at our age, THAT could be dangerous.
Does that extend beyond just driving a car?
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 02-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #52
DougVieyra

CarlG: "Does that extend beyond just driving a car? "

We can hope !
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #53
burner31

I gave thought to buying an old Chevy, being that I have had '57 Chevy for 40+ years.
But after looking into parts I gave that thought up, if I would have gotten the Chevy I was looking at it would still be in the garage, not running.
With the massive amount of ford parts out there I can enjoy driving my car instead of being on an endless quest for parts.
I think I made the right choice.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #54
Cool Hand Lurker

If you want to chase those Chandlers, Reos, Hupmobiles, Chevys etc., etc that's a fine hobby. Personally, I don't do 'Off Brands", that is why I am on the FORDbarn and own the lowly Fords. You can't get your shorts in a bundle driving a Model T Ford.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote