Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #21
Henry's Lady's Man

Default Re: Head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Since you're under the gun timewise, just get the head fixed and back on. Threading and plugging that hole may well fix the whole problem anyway. Since it was running OK except for losing water it will surely last just fine through its wedding duties.
Hey 40 Deluxe, I cam up with a Plan C. I just picked up an engine stand from craigslist this evening locally, and got a tip on a local Model A group with a machine shop. That was very fortuitous (serendipitous?)

I will do a full rebuild, and I think I have time. I will put on the stock head though (after I work on that water hole) and see how it goes. I will rebuild; I can replace the head later.

See, I DO listen to all you Barners. I just need to "talk it out".
Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #22
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Were your cylinders bored with a shotgun?

What is the bore? It might be time to sleeve them back to standard.

It isn't too bad to pull the engine, and for the work you want to do that's the way to go.

Rering or rebuild is much easier and better with the engine out of the car. You might get lucky and have good babbit.
Tom, the bore is 3.97" . That is a bit worn, so then is this good for a sleeve? or oversized pistons or oversized rings?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 AM   #23
Henry's Lady's Man

Talking Re: Head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Were your cylinders bored with a shotgun?

What is the bore? It might be time to sleeve them back to standard.

It isn't too bad to pull the engine, and for the work you want to do that's the way to go.

Rering or rebuild is much easier and better with the engine out of the car. You might get lucky and have good babbit.
Tom, the bore measures 3.97 , so it sounds like time to sleeve. I found some local guys who machine Model A's. I will talk to them. As I just posted, I will fix the stock head and use it for a while. At least all of this will get rebuilt. I can swap heads later with all that behind me.
Thanx again for the advice. See? I DO listen to you guys. Then I proceed my own way
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

The shotgun comment was because the picture made the cylinders look rough, but it was most likely a very low resolution picture.

Stock bore is 3.875" and the picture shows the coolant hole close to the edge also, as though the cylinder has been bored quite a bit.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
The picture is a cylinder head.
I would scrap it rather than waste money planing it and a new gasket.
Sure nuff now I can see it's a head rather than looking down the cylinder. I also wouldn't be spending money on that head, but buy the 5.5 head instead. You could tap, plug and redrill the hole for no money, but if the head needs to be planed then just put the money towards the new 5.5 head.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #26
Terry, NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
How much do you want/have to spend? 3.97 "will take one more resizing to 4.000", after that, you must sleeve. One of my engines is 4.000., .125 oversize. Just boring the engine increases the compression (Slightly). Also, it will increase the HP by a percentage. Bore it out 5% and you'll increase the HP by 5%. A bored out model A block (.125) is about 214-215 cubic inches, around 7%. Add a bored out manifold and a B carburetor to improve the breathing. I can cut .040 off a head for $40, Or I can go buy a Snyder's H C head for $300. Naturally the repro HC head will give you more oomph. But so will a $400 cam, or a supercharger ($xxx?) or a hundred other jobs that I don't really have the cash for.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #27
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
How much do you want/have to spend? 3.97 "will take one more resizing to 4.000", after that, you must sleeve. One of my engines is 4.000., .125 oversize. Just boring the engine increases the compression (Slightly). Also, it will increase the HP by a percentage. Bore it out 5% and you'll increase the HP by 5%. A bored out model A block (.125) is about 214-215 cubic inches, around 7%. Add a bored out manifold and a B carburetor to improve the breathing. I can cut .040 off a head for $40, Or I can go buy a Snyder's H C head for $300. Naturally the repro HC head will give you more oomph. But so will a $400 cam, or a supercharger ($xxx?) or a hundred other jobs that I don't really have the cash for.
Hey Terry,
So will a bore to 4.00 require different pistons or same stock pistons w different rings or stock size rings?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #28
CarlG

You need to get pistons that match the bore. If you bore it .125, you need +.125 pistons and rings.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #29
Terry, NJ

H.L.M., Brattons 2015 catalog has .125 oversize pistons (Pg.40, #8310) for $ 89.95. Cylinder sleeves, std bore (3.875) are $30.75 each, This will require new 3.875 pistons. Rings are 39.65 a set. Also, you will need wrist pin bushings (4) at $1.85 each. I hope this helps you to figure your costs. I'm not recommending this, but you may be able to merely replace the rings into your old pistons. I would have to mike the bores to see if it's feasible.
Terry
Old 02-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #30
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
I found water in my oil, and had been getting hydrocarbons in my radiator. I just removed the head on my '30 Town Sedan.

1) Can anyone tell me for sure if this is a stock head?

2) If I decide to remove some material for higher compression, how much is TOO MUCH before valve clearance becomes an issue?

Chuck
I was reading the rest of your post, engine work etc. You have a VERY GOOD BUILDER there in ALB. off Coors road. PETE'S AUTO MACHINE , John Cosper TEL- 505-836-3110 he is the son and runs the shop for a few years now. This father and son team were one of the first to start doing inserted engines years ago. Great people and great work. Give him a call about any questions you have. Tell him a very satisfied customer from Lafayette, Louisiana , Tony White said to call. My inserted engine was done by him in 2005. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA

Last edited by modelAtony; 02-11-2016 at 08:37 AM.
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #31
Henry's Lady's Man

Smile Re: Head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
I was reading the rest of your post, engine work etc. You have a VERY GOOD BUILDER there in ALB. off Coors road. PETE'S AUTO MACHINE , John Cosper TEL- 505-836-3110 he is the son and runs the shop for a few years now. This father and son team were one of the first to start doing inserted engines years ago. Great people and great work. Give him a call about any questions you have. Tell him a very satisfied customer from Lafayette, Louisiana , Tony White said to call. My inserted engine was done by him in 2005. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
Sounds like I'm about to have some fun. I've heard of PETE'S, and I have met John Cosper at the Poco Quatros Model A Club. I didn't know that was his shop. Wow, I just struck gold! Thanx to you and all who have posted. Now I can get on the fast track. Chuck
Old 10-10-2018, 02:21 AM   #32
Gavin

I read on this forum sometime ago that a Snyders 5.5 head could be raised to 6.1 by planing a certain amount off it. I cannot find the original post. Can anyone advise what this figure is?
Cheers,
Gavin
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #33
Bob-A

Exclamation Re: Head questions

Gavin,

Your question has been bugging me for a while. I looked up some old
printer-outs from the ...'Barn. I'll give you most of what is on a 12/28/2004

posted by Dick Wyckoff,

" I am running a Snyders 5.5? milled 20 thous- My builder Bill Garland of Sparta GA said taking 20 off the head make it about 5.9 He started doing that years ago and has no complaints- I can tell you it is peppier than the

5.5" Lou Earle

Hope this helps and I might do this to a 5.5 head I have too.

Bob-
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 AM   #34
Gavin

Thanks for your research Bob. In a current thread titled "High Compression heads" two people have mentioned planing a 5.5 head, one by 50 thou and another by 100 thou. It would seem to me the amount one can plane will be dependant on whether or not the Pistons protrude above the block. I have a friend with a 5.5 head that needs 30 thou removed to straighten it and his piston protrude so Given your info I will proceed with caution.
Cheers,
Gavin
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:45 AM   #35
Terry, NJ

I really don't like that head H.L.M is working with! I'd get another one, preferably a "C" head (uncracked) or a "B" head (Police head) You will be shedding a questionable , possibly junk, head for one with a built in higher compression Ratio. However, that being said, I have a head that i cut .040 and got a noticable difference from it, not huge, but it was better.
I would not be in a hurry to sleeve a block that doesn't really need it. Sleeved cylinders go back to the original bore size (3.875) and you lose whatever effect you were getting from the larger bore. Well it's all in the past now. I don't think that H.L.M. is waiting for our answer (From 2015?) All we can do is hope that it will benefit someone else.
Terry