Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
dalton

Default Re: Water Leaks

Ok, I have some news to report. After careful examination of all areas, I believe the leak is coming from the water jacket near where the throttle assembly bolt(passenger side) goes. I was wrong about it leaking out of the flywheel housing. I found water dripping down the front of the flywheel housing on the passenger side. I then traced that up and around the block where it meets the flywheel housing. I couldn't find its origin so I removed the throttle assembly and the beads of water revealed themselves.

Now, what are your thoughts? I am thinking about removing the body to better access the area and try a JB Weld repair as I am going to need to do to the front of the bloc in the typical place. Or should I just try a stop leak?

Now before you thin I'm too crazy, I just put the body on the chassis. No doors, gas tank, glass, wood, wiring, floors, seats, interior etc. I just put it on and am only 12 bolts away from lifting it back off.
dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #22
Big hammer

Don't go crazy on use yet, keep the body on for now. Clean around the bolt hole and look for cracks, dope a bolt with a good sealer like permatex and see if this stops the leak. Someone may have installed a bolt that was to long and broke out the bottom of the threaded bolt hole into the water jacket.
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #23
jeep44

I'd wrap the bolts with teflon tape, AND put pipe sealer on them before screwing them back in
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #24
dalton

I don't believe that the lea is from the bolt hole, the bolt was dry when I removed the throttle assembly. I think it is next to the bolt hole. I put a mirror in there and could see what looks like a small hole or crusty spot. Of course we mow how tight it is between the firewall and the back of the engine. I'll be loping some more before I do anything too drastic.

I am relieved that I didn't find water in the crankcase and that I was initially wrong about where it was dripping from.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #25
Redbird

Have a friend pour some more water while you are looking at the suspected areas.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:50 PM   #26
dalton

Redbird, I'm not sure I understand.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:31 PM   #27
dalton

Ok, so a little update.

I found that the leaks were small cracks in the water jackets. One in the front of the block at the bottom of the water jacket, and one in the rear of the block just above the passenger side throttle assembly bolt.

Unfortunately, I had to lift the body. It wasn't that bad as the car is only partially assembled. So, 12 bolts later and a few 2 x 4's to block it up for access, I carefully V'ed out the hairline crack with my cutoff wheel, cleaned as best I could with paint thinner, and dried out the block and cracks with a hair dryer for several hours. I made up a mixture of the Original JB Weld and allowed it some time to set up. The quick set JB Weld isn't nearly as durable. After it set up slightly, I smeared it into the crack and kept an eye on it. It did "ooze" out a bit but I smeared it back in. After a few hours, it was mostly hardened, but slightly soft still so I took some 100 grit sand paper and pushed it into JB Weld giving an appearance of cast iron. Not to bad.

I let it set for several weeks as I was busy with work and other projects around the house.

Today I put water in the system and it is not leaking.

I know that the real test will come when I have the car drivable, and is getting hot and cold, but for now, I'm happy with the result.

I will probably put in the Bar's Stop Leak when I get it drivable as a preventative measure.