Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Gerry

Default electric choke

I seem to remember a while ago someone had discused the best place to run the wire for an electric choke from a holly. Do I remember the coil was a no no and the ignition switch ok? Thanks. Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
JeffB2

Default Re: electric choke

I ran mine from the solenoid to the choke,less wire,less resistance.EZ hookup.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Gerry

there are 2 small posts on the solenoid, I didn't think either one was live when the car was running? Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
JeffB2

Here is a picture,notice the terminal with a white,yellow,red and lt.blue wires this works off of the key switch, the yellow is power in,the red goes to my HEI,lt.blue to choke,the white is a fuel pump relay.With a test light at the terminal it will light with key on,no light with key off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring 002 (Large).jpg (50.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
craig

The terminal that you have all this stuff connected to is the original bypass for the coil. When the starter terminal is activated, then the bypass terminal becomes activated, supplying battery voltage, non-resistance, to the coil. This bypass terminal will be "hot" with the key on, but not full battery voltage, because it is coming from the ballast resistor. Put a volt meter on it with the engine running and compare that reading to the battery itself. You mentioned an hei dist., the module in these are power hogs and need full battery voltage, fed thru a 12 gauge wire, look at any GM car and see for yourself
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
JeffB2

Craig,there is no ballast resistor as the choke and HEI require 12 volts which was checked with a volt meter,HEI's do not use a ballast a conventional dizzy and coil would.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
craig

Jeff, as I mentioned, the hei requires 12 volts, no resistor, my point was that your terminal on the solenoid was originally the bypass circuit for a resistor. Since the resistor has apparantly been removed, what now feeds your circuit to the solenoid, is it direct from the ignition switch with a 12 gauge wire?
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
JeffB2

Because of the relays for the fan and fuel pump it is direct from the ignition swich with a 10 gauge wire.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Kurt in NJ

If you look you can find a switch that you can hook to oil pressure, that way when the engine is not running no power to the choke ---it also is good as a safety for an electric fuel pump.

If you have the pressure switch close a double pole reley 1 pole for the choke, 1 for the fuel pump, use the ignition bypass on the solenoid to power the fuel pump for startup.

I last did a setup like this I used a switch from 70s Triumph, a 3 terminal oil pressure switch, I think Vegas used it also
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
rick55

Kurt's method for doing what you want to do is a great solution for anything that needs to operate whilst the engine is running - wish I had thought of it.
Late 70's early 80's cars here in Oz used a feed from the alternator to perform the same function. They had a special terminal that only had power when the engine was running.
The oil pressure switch idea is much simpler, though you will need to run a relay to power the choke coil with the pressure switch earthing the relay coil. The Holley choke is a single terminal with one side of the element going to earth also.
Probably a bit more involved than Jeff's solution but it will only have power on the carby when the engine is running.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote