Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2024, 07:53 AM   #1
larry harding

Default speedster windshield

my speedster i've been working on for the last 1 1 1/2 years is nearing completion and ineed to start proceedings to title it. i have two questions.
1. is a windshield required here in n.c.
2. i have seen small rectangular windshields on sports cars and racers over the years, they sit on two brackets on the cowl. any idea where i can find something that can be adapted to my spedster?
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:40 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: speedster windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry harding View Post
my speedster i've been working on for the last 1 1 1/2 years is nearing completion and ineed to start proceedings to title it. i have two questions.
1. is a windshield required here in n.c.
2. i have seen small rectangular windshields on sports cars and racers over the years, they sit on two brackets on the cowl. any idea where i can find something that can be adapted to my spedster?

1) I cannot speak for windshields being required in NC, but I think I still have a windshield frame that was built for use on the Rootlieb-built speedsters that I would sell. I can either post a picture here, -or email you a few pictures of what it is for you to determine if it would work for your project.

2) The windscreens like you are describing are call Brooklands. I used a set of these on my daughter's Model T speedster (-pix below). The last I knew, they ran about $200 a piece.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Rapids Sun-Mon 016.jpg (115.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 256447_10150972473012476_1087750871_o.jpg (59.6 KB, 105 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:28 AM   #3
Big hammer

Nice looking speedster Brent ! I really like the wheels ! Something you made ?
Old 03-24-2024, 09:30 AM   #4
RDVAARK

Hi Larry,
Easy answer: Moss Motors.com. Not the old Ford Moss, but English car parts.Search for 'racing screen, Brooklands type'. $199.95. fast service. I've used them since the 1960's.The frames are now cast aluminum, instead of brass. Used ones in brass might be around. Also Speedway Motors may have them. Street legal in Conn., not sure of other states,hard to fit wipers. Used stock MG TF and TD windshields with brackets and wipers could be used also,-MG owner sometimes prefer new shiny things.
For rear shocks, look at Triumph Tr4 andTr6. they fit the chassis holes on my 28 tudor, and usually are attached to arms with a ball end compatible with Model A dogbone links. I have used a set on the tudor for years, not adjustable, but ride nice,-seem to be close to 60/40. I reshaped (shorter and at a slant)the top of the body casting on a sander to fit the indent in the wheel well, using the original top. To get linkage alignment and to adjust leverage for stiffness, I wrapped the shock body in wet rags to protect the internals, and heated and bent the arms into a'Z" shape to shorten them for various strengths. They work well enough and are easy to find used. Cutting and fabricating proper length arms would be well worthwhile once you find what length works best.
With some work, they could be fitted on the front, but clearing the fenders can be tricky. The Triumph is close enough to the A in weight that this was doable, producing a nice ride in a tudor. In a coupe, worth trying. Trial and error with sandbags in the trunk could be instructive.
Russ
RDVAARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 10:04 AM   #5
denis4x4

Used Brooklands on my speedster registered in Colorado. No fenders.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:06 PM   #6
w.michael

My speedster was built by the previous owner, my lifelong friend. The windshields are two circular monicles,similar to Brent’s pictures above. Mine are not adequate. I cannot drive at speed without wearing large glasses or goggles. A full face mask helmet would be better. Make sure whatever windshield you select is large enough to keep the wind out of your face and eyes.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:17 PM   #7
w.michael

And to hijack this thread a bit, Rusty Gould has encouraged everyone to bring speedsters to the MARC National Meet in Asheville. Anyone planning to do so? I hope to bring my
‘29-ish boat tail speedster to Asheville, if I can figure out how to drive two Model A’s up there.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:44 PM   #8
ModelA29

Look in your state vehicle code for equipment. Pay attention to the years things were required. Here in CA you didn't need 2 taillights before 1958. There is a requirement for fenders or mudflaps that cover a certain percentage of the tire. I got a ticket in my 66 Shelby. I had replaced the front bumper with the race one that allowed more air to the radiator and eliminated the bumper. Of course the cop wrote the ticket for a Ford Mustang. I showed up with my registration (that the cop apparently didn't read) stating make as GT350. I drug out the code and showed that cars required bumpers if more than 5000 were made. There were less than 3,000 Shelbys that year - dismissed. Used the same trick when I got a ticket for having the emissions controls removed. A letter in the owners manual from the Air Resources Board had exempted the 66 Shelby from CA smog.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:52 AM   #9
larry harding

i would like to know more about the rootleib windshield, pictures, price. i bought the rootleib cowl sheet metal and fabricated most everything else myself. that ws might work.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:45 AM   #10
ronn

Larry, I dont beleive rootlieb makes them any longer. I did put an inquiry in to them and will let you know what they say.

as RDV states, that might be an option.........

dont think any of them are all that helpful in design- more about the asthetics and requirements of dmv.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 08:50 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Larry, I dont beleive rootlieb makes them any longer. I did put an inquiry in to them and will let you know what they say.

as RDV states, that might be an option.........

don't think any of them are all that helpful in design- more about the aesthetics and requirements of dmv.
When I answered about the Brooklands above, I didn't realize the cowl that you had. I think the biggest issue you will have for the Brooklands on your cowl is fabricating a flat surface on the cowl to mount the stands on. If you have put a wood dash on it, maybe you can attach a piece of wood as a filler panel above the cowl? The only difficulty there is to make it where it doesn't look like an afterthought when you mounted it.

I'm pretty sure Ronn is correct in that these are no longer being manufactured. I tried to buy one from Rootlieb before Covid for a project and wound-up having to get this one from a private individual. The one I have is the 12½" tall one. With the Rootlieb-made one, at least you can mount a Model-A Roadster windshield wiper to pass your inspection and then remove it for looks if you like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9183.jpg (54.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9184.jpg (113.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9185.jpg (114.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9186.jpg (115.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Picture1.jpg (44.3 KB, 28 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-28-2024, 05:03 PM   #12
larry harding

that is pretty neat looking, and as iii stated i used the rootleib cowl sheet metal. when i have time i'm going to research n.c. requirements. any idea what you want for it? i hope to get up your way for the east tenn. crank up in june. would love to come by and see your stuff if possible.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:25 AM   #13
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry harding View Post
that is pretty neat looking, and as iii stated i used the rootleib cowl sheet metal. when i have time i'm going to research n.c. requirements. any idea what you want for it? i hope to get up your way for the east tenn. crank up in june. would love to come by and see your stuff if possible.
Check your PMs

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-29-2024, 08:29 PM   #14
Synchro909

Take it from me, Brooklands type windscreen are virtually useless - for show only. Even the slightest drizzle of rain feels like you are being shot with a barrage of needles and in decent weather, you will be wind burned to a crisp in a flash. Been there, done that.
I would go with a standard Model A windscreen from an open car chopped down to your liking that will give some degree of protection. Modify the stanchions so that it can be folded flat if you like.

Last edited by Synchro909; 04-01-2024 at 05:18 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 09:28 AM   #15
ronn

if somebody made a run of the monocle windshield-circle glass, Ild bet theyld sell out rather quickly. Thinking 50-100 pieces......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:15 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
if somebody made a run of the monocle windshield-circle glass, Ild bet theyld sell out rather quickly. Thinking 50-100 pieces......
I have the brass castings of one, and an aluminum castings of one if anyone wants to use for patterns, but the issue is you need one for early Model-T columns (w/o horn wire conduit), the later Model-T columns, a Model-A column, and then one that can be machined for other size columns on orphan cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Take it from me, Brooklands type windscreen are virtually useless - for show only. Even the slightest drizzle of rain feels like you are being shot with a barrage of needles and in decent weather, you will be wind burned to a crisp in a flash. Been there, done that.

I would go with a standard Model A windscreen from an open car chopped down to you liking that will give some degree of protection. Modify the stanchions so that it can be folded flat if you like.

I can tell you from personal experiences that when you are in a speedster like I am below, it seems to rain 4-times as hard since the tires are throwing it up too, so at that point, windshield ain't gonna be much help at keeping you dry anyway!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP09817r.jpg (92.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DCP09821r.jpg (71.4 KB, 15 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-01-2024, 08:07 AM   #17
larry harding

you may be right about driving with no windshield, but i've been on two wheels since the mid 60's and don't mind a little wind in my face. boss lady is pushing for a ws and is itching to go for a ride as soon as i can get it on the road. we'll see!