Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
frederic

Default BALLS AND SPRINGS vs BLOCKS AND CLIPS

Just tried to install a syncro unit in my 47 side shifter and found the syncro unit itself is just too long to allow the spring clip to be put back in to keep it in place. I assume one cannot remove the bronze thrust washer in the back to allow it to seat !! SO i took the blocks and spring clips and put them in my old syncro unit. I have heard the blocks and spring clips are the best way to go! just asking what others might have experienced

thanks guys

Frederic
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: BALLS AND SPRINGS vs BLOCKS AND CLIPS

Mac Van Pelt is on this site, he's the guy, parts, advice, and a real well put together book on the trans. Van Pelts Sales, Google...

I think you have a replaceable shim holding you back...

I like the older system, coil springs and balls...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Terry,OH

Not sure of what parts you have , but if you get the installation wrong the transmission could jump out of gear or fail to sync. The end plays have to be correct. the blocker rings have to match the syncro type (balls, or plates or the thin clips). Macs book should be able to help you get this right. The book list part dimensions and wear limits, as well as end play.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Mac VP

It sounds like you have a slight mismatch in your parts. The synchro hub with the 3 balls & springs goes on the 81A-7061 mainshaft (the one with the little pin sticking out just in front of the spiral splines).

The synchro hub that has no holes for the balls & springs (takes the three inserts with bumps and two wire springs) is longer thru its length, and is meant to be used with the 51A-7061 mainshaft (no pin).

As a side note, you can use the later style insert kit (3 inserts with bumps and 2 wire springs) on the earlier style hub ( the type that used the 3 balls & springs and the inserts with the holes in their center.

This is pictured clearly in our transmission book.
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Juergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
It sounds like you have a slight mismatch in your parts. The synchro hub with the 3 balls & springs goes on the 81A-7061 mainshaft (the one with the little pin sticking out just in front of the spiral splines).

The synchro hub that has no holes for the balls & springs (takes the three inserts with bumps and two wire springs) is longer thru its length, and is meant to be used with the 51A-7061 mainshaft (no pin).

As a side note, you can use the later style insert kit (3 inserts with bumps and 2 wire springs) on the earlier style hub ( the type that used the 3 balls & springs and the inserts with the holes in their center.

This is pictured clearly in our transmission book.

Mac,

Isn't it also true that you can use the later bumps/springs synchro (8M-7124) in place of the spring ball synchro (01A-7124) by leaving out the spacer 81A-7069?
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
Mac VP

Well, yes that's true but you lose the advantage of being able to fine tune the clearance spec on the mainshaft.
www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
frederic

Thanks Mac. put in the blocks with bumps and spring clips and works fine on the bench will install and see if it likes them

have a side shifter plate with 1/8 inch pin where the shifter shaft bushing fits over. Most i have come into contact with are at least 1/4 inch or there-a-bouts.

any comment on that. might it be from a later year like in the 50's

Frederic
Old 12-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
frederic

Oh Mac going through my piles of stuff to find a set of bronze syncros, I came upon a pile of syncros with about a 1/2 inch slot instead of the wider almost inch slot in the 40's cars. were these form early ford transmissions??

Frederic
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Mac VP

If the diameter of the ring is the same as the regular Ford gear, that suggests that you have a batch of the T86 rings. Not interchangeble with your regular Ford 3 speed synchro. Contact me if you want to sell them as I do get occasional call for them.
www.vanpeltsales.com