Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
Forker

Default Barn Find

Yesterday my wife went to visit an elderly relative on the farm she had inherited (we have a farm down the road that we currently lease) and while visiting mentioned we had a Model A. Her elderly aunt said her dad had a Model A back in the day and it has been in one of the barns for years. So my wife asked if she could go see it and was told it was totally trashed and there really wasn't anything to see...she went ahead to see it anyway knowing I'd being asking a bunch of questions about it when she got home.

She took the attached photos and as you can see, trashed was an appropriate description. Sally (my wife) didn't try to move anything that was piled in, on or around it, just snapped some pics as best she could. When she went back to the house to say goodbye, she was offered the car if she thought I might want it for any reason.

Can anyone tell me what it is (year, model)...and whether you'd mess with it even if it was free, but knowing much of the restoration work would have to be jobbed out
george
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (19) (2).JPG (60.6 KB, 1042 views)
File Type: jpg photo (16) (3).JPG (55.3 KB, 1003 views)
File Type: jpg photo (14).JPG (66.1 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg photo (18).JPG (124.0 KB, 943 views)
File Type: jpg photo (17).JPG (133.1 KB, 954 views)
File Type: jpg photo (21).JPG (142.4 KB, 926 views)
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
Racur96

Default Re: Barn Find

Sport coupe but I can't see enough to tell the year, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
englishdavid

Looks pretty solid to me ! (We used to get far worse in the UK!), Looks like a 30/31 and sport coupe as mentioned above.

Nice find.
Given its Free yes I would grab it
englishdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Racur96

I was about to say 30/31 also, just noticed the thick quarter moulding behind door in the one pic.
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
kenparker

My best guess is 30 or 31 Sport Coupe. And I dont call that trashed. Model A folks have started with a lot less to build their dream cars. If you dont want it - call or email me. Ken in east Texas.
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Buz

I don't call that trashed by any means, I started out with a whole lot worse. I'll be your trash man if you want to dispose of it !
Buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I concur with others that more detailed pictures would be needed to pinpoint an accurate date but for now it is a 30/31 Sport Coupe.

While beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, my description of "trashed" vs. hers is different. I feel the car is VERY restorable if enough resources are thrown at it.

It might seem biased when I say this but in my line of work, I believe the hobbyists that seem to enjoy their cars the most are the ones that own a family member's car. The care & respect they give to that car, ...and joy they get from talking about a family member's car is really neat to watch ( "This was my Dad's old truck.", or "This was my Mom's Buick", ...or my grandpa's Model-A).

While we have restored several "family member cars", two or three that stick out in my mind are a 1931 S/W Fordor where the owner (now deceased) was 12 years old when he went with his grandparents to the Ford Dealership in July of 1931 to trade in their 1930 68B on this Sedan. All these years the car stayed in the family and about 5 years ago one of his son's paid to have the car restored for his Dad. Once the restoration was completed, we/they took that car to several shows where the son and the dad would visit with people as they looked at his car. He also would drive the car to town on errands and would tell stories to anyone who would listen. Now the son is the caretaker of the car and is doing the same thing.

Another car we restored is a '29 Bus. Coupe that the owner's dad purchased the car new. She was born after that time but she remembers the car all through her childhood as her dad even carried the mail with it during the 50's. Now she & her husband enjoy driving it and talking about it.

The final one that I think is neat is a '28 Roadster P/U that the owner's wife's grandfather purchased new out in Idaho. The truck was delivered to the small rural town by rail, and the grandmother was taught how to drive it at the train depot by the R/R workers where she then drove the new pick-up home. The "grandpa" used the truck in his masonry business and it was well "worn". Even the driver's side running board had the treads worn through from him spinning his boot on the running board as he climbed in. We left the running board "as-is" with the holes worn in as a tribute to the original owner.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
luckyal

Obviously one person's trash is another person's treasure ! Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
eagle

Once you get the car out of its "grave" and cleaned up, it could be worth quite a bit. A sport coupe is a very desirable model. YES!!! TAKE IT!!! Offer it up to someone here on Fordbarn for a reasonable price, then split the "profit" with the original owner. You and her will feel good knowing it went to the right people, not going to be chopped up for a hot rod project that never gets finished. I would say it could be worth at least $1000 and who knows, maybe a lot more.??
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
QGolden

Many have been built starting with a lot less. This is truly a Barn Find! Not an overpriced relic kept in lousy storage and not parted with because the are "getting rare". This car is bonafide and authentic, and should be taken, especially at the price offered. It would be nice to document it's lineage since the line is so short.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
Pickupman

Great Find!
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #12
james hitchcock

Wow great looking 30/31. A lot of that will buff out. I would make sure it isn't able to be seen by the passing public, you wouldn't want that one to disappear .
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
jkeesey

i agree with every one else that i'd take it in a heartbeat. Sport Coupe isn't exactly the most ideal model but it looks farely complete.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Forker

Thanks Everyone
First of all, I guess I need to apologize for repeating my wife's descriptive term 'trashed'

Tracing it's lineage couldn't be easier...one owner, my wife's grandfather from dealer to barn and he's been passed away for a few decades now.

To those of you have PM me about buying it, I haven't even gone up to take a look yet or seriously considered the options; but since it is a family heirloom if you will, I'm giving more thought to restoring it than I would if it wasn't. If after thinking it through I decide not go ahead, I will keep your PMs and get back to you to ascertain your level interest.

Thanks
george
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I'd be over there right now with money in hand.

And yes, please try to document it.

Let us know!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Big John

any condition is worth it.....I got my trailer hooked up....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #17
JBill

And, it's been inside, not sitting in a field, which makes a whole lot of difference!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
Vanspeed

I would be over there right now getting it. How come nobody ever gives me free Model A's?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
james hitchcock

Though all of us would give our eye teeth for the chance at it, as you said it's a family heirloom and in your family it should stay. You've got a good car there. When you get the chance post us some more pic's.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
400A-64

Thumbs up Re: Barn Find

AND THEY SAY THAT THERE ARE NO MORE TO FIND !!!
Bruce Davis
[email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote