Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Bib Overalls

Default 31 Coupe Body Wood Questions

Up front Guys, I have to tell you that I am a hot rodder. A "traditional" hot rodder. One of them. I usually hang out on the HAMB but occasionally come over to this side when I need some help with original Ford stuff.

Today, I need some help with the Ford Wood kit that I am in the process of installing in my chopped 1931 Model A standard coupe.

My first question concerns the wood that goes around the rear window. As you can see, the uprights do not fit tightly into the dados on the cross pieces. Further, the the side pieces, when fitted to the cross pieces stand about 1/4" proud. Is this correct or should I deepen the dados when I shorten the uprights to accommodate the chop?

My second question is easier to understand. What goes in the notch above the "B" post? I can't find anything in the box of hardware I collected when I took the old wood out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body Wood Questions 1.jpg (404.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Body Wood Questions 2.jpg (451.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Body Wood Questions 3.jpg (314.6 KB, 81 views)
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
A bones

Angry Re: 31 Coupe Body Wood Questions

The window frame uprights fit flush. They hold the window shade brackets. There is no notch between the B pillar upright and the roof line. They fit flush to the upper wood. That's all there is.

Last edited by A bones; 11-25-2014 at 09:47 PM. Reason: My bad
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 31 Coupe Body Wood Questions

The biggest thing you are experiencing is poor craftsmanship. The wood in your pictures is not accurately cut. Matter of fact, the dado you speak of is not either. Also all of the wood joints should make a smooth transition to the next adjoin piece or otherwise the upholstery will have a bulge in that area.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Bib Overalls

Thanks Guys!

A bones - I am recreating the hot rod that I had in 1958. The Model A that I bought had been offered for sale a number of times over the years with no takers. The price was reasonable but the body needed a lot of work and it is not a gem by any means.

All things considered, I have put an irrational amount of money into this body. For less than what I have spent so far I could have purchased a nicely restored coupe and cut it up.

I don't know if this will make you feel better but I sold the complete chassis, radiator and shell, fenders, running boards, and hood to a local restorer. By trade, he is a cabinet maker and these parts will return to the road with a "woody" body.
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
A bones

Thanks for caring, to respond. Like I said I'm no saint. The body I have to work with was carelessly torched by a dirt tracker in the sixties. I apologize for being too sensitive. I'm going to take some short cuts to get this one on the road and its too far from stock. As a kid we had stockers all over the place and I loved them. Some day (after the next five projects) I hope to settle down with a nice 95 point A.