Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
barkleydave

Default car hauler trailer

I currently have two antique vehicles. While I prefer to drive them there are times when the need arises where I need to haul them on a trailer.

I am planning on attending several shows that are more than 900 miles away and driving the entire distance is not my best option.

Also good vintage car mechanics are many miles from me. While I am not afraid to turn bolts etc. Major engine repairs (rebuilds etc) I will leave up to the experts.

Was wondering if anyone out there has found or uses a hauler that does the job for our A's but does not cost 5K bucks!

I know that some states (IL is one) that require electric brakes on both axles on trailers with GWVR of 5000#

Even an A on an Aluminum trailer will be over 3000# closer to 4000#
Thanks
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: car hauler trailer

In a nutshell, you get what you pay for. The quality of a trailer is often determined by the products used. The good products cost $$ to manufacture. Is finding a used 'better quality' trailer an option for you?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Fred K-OR

I purchased a flat bed trailer for around $2K. But if I had it to do over again, I think I would spend the additional $ to get an enclosed trailer. The main reasons for the enclosed trailer is that first of all I could store the car in the trailer rather than my shop. I know this may not be the best storage but my rigs are drivers and not trailer queens. The second reason I would do the enclosed is that the flat bed I have has a bed of wood. Thus leaving it out in the weather all the time is hard on the wood. A good enclosed trailer should not have a problem leaving in the weather. In rainy Portland OR this is a consideration.

But other than these two reasons, the flat bed does the job of hauling my rigs anywhere I want to go with them. It is a two axle , 4 wheel brake trailer. I don't think I would use a one axle. Good luck with your search.

I think there was another posting on the Barn about this subject some time ago also.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Duffy1

Takes a powerful truck to pull an enclosed trailer.
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
denis4x4

I have a 20' aluminum tilt trailer with an aluminum truck tool box. There is an 8000# Warn winch inside the tool box to retrieve dead cars. I find this rig practical and more useful than an enclosed trailer.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #6
A bones

Friendly word from a long distance driver, be certain that your tow vehicle is designed to handle all three units. That would be the tow vehicle, the trailer, and the antique. During my career I saw far too many dreams spoiled for want of fore thought. The fact that you pose the question here is encouraging. Anyhow if you haven't heard it yet Cross Those Safety Chains. Else wise they are tragedy chains.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

an enclosed not only protects your car from weather and debris chips but it serves as an extra storage space for things when not in use.... cant beat a portable garage.. and yes a vehicle with the proper suspension and balls is a must...
yes u need trailer brakes..

if you buy the cheapo georgia made trailer thats what you'll get....
the better quality units are made in the indiana area

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
JohnLaVoy

While we have used flat trailers for many trips, having the enclosed trailer to keep everything secure and dry when it is bad weather is very nice. The added benefit is storage when you aren't hauling the car. We have our roadster pickup stored in the trouble truck trailer right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MAT Trailers on the road LR.jpg (56.2 KB, 132 views)
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
Roger V

Thought storage was a plus in having an enclosed trailer only to find the nickel plating turned green and mold elsewhere. It was vented and this is not an overly humid area. Maybe a dehumidifier would have made the difference but it's now used for storing the gazebo screens and furniture in the winter..........
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

[QUOTE=Duffy1;985599]Takes a powerful truck to pull an enclosed trailer.[/QUOTE

Duffy, you are correct. You do need a good size truck to pull an enclosed trailer. I tried to pull a large enclosed trailer with my Chev 1500 and I don't think I ever got the tranny in high gear. I only ran about 10 miles and decided it was not the trailer to use with this size truck. But the flat bed works great with the 1500 and it almost seems like you do not have a load behind it with trailer and Model A.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Big hammer

Haul/tow mode in c1500 great feature,high line pressure in trans less slippage
higher rpms but better mpg than with out haul/tow mode
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

a 1500 is real borderline if your pulling a 24' box or bigger...eventually it will kill the truck.. attempting it load levelers are a must have
a 16-20' would be better for a 1500 but not perfect

i pulled this 24 with the A on a f-150 and not only was the suspension to weak but the drivetrain would have eventually blown....
now with the 2500hd and duramax diesel w allison trans i can rip the trailer up mountains
no load levelers needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 11-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
DougVieyra

My car transporter is pure 1920's vintage, and although it is authentic, it is a reproduction of the original - consists of a 20 foot length of sisal/hemp 2" hauser line. Stores easily and I pay no taxes, fees, assessments, etc. to the State.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
JohnLaVoy

We use an F-150 with factory tow package. Have made numerous trips cross country don't even know the trailer is there most of the time.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"now with the 2500hd and duramax diesel w allison trans i can rip the trailer up mountains"

a sweet package by any definition....
Old 11-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #16
CAPE A

Have the same 2500 allison /duramax what Power !!!
CAPE A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
Bader

I run cummins power,same deal!
Bader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #18
180 a

We have a Ford F250 with power stroke Diesel, and can pull anything.
180 a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180 a View Post
We have a Ford F250 with power stroke Diesel, and can pull anything.
We use a 1996 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 to haul an enclosed all-steel trailer or a tilt deck depending on the load. The enclosed trailer can handle two Model A's or eight 1200lb yearlings. Would not like to use it in the mountains, but is fine on the flats and foothills.

Ian
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
John S

I'm looking for a trailer now myself. I don't want to spend much either.
I had a mid 90's 24' Haulmark with a 7000# gross weight and pulled it many a mile with a '94 Chevy 2500 with a 350 gas engine. Not the best truck for towing, but if you didn't try to run over 65 it was good enough. I didn't tow more than 1500 miles a year so I could live with it. All of that got sold years ago.
I'm looking for a 20-22' used enclosed trailer now. I want something long enough for one A and a golf cart. Looks like something like that is going to cost around 5 thousand for a nice used one.
I've done the open trailer thing before too and for short trips close to home IMO they are the best to pull and the cheapest to buy. But when you start talking about going 900 miles you need a good enclosed trailer so the car is locked away during overnight stops and protected from the weather. Don't scrimp on the brakes. Even with an open trailer there may come a time when you need those trailer brakes to save your neck.
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer ride.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #21
barkleydave

Thanks for input. I have pulled many trailers over the years. Large small open and enclosed.

I currently have a 2005 Explorer with V8, electric brake unit, and proper hitch.

Closed are not good for me here in KY. Too much humidity in summer and heat build up to store a vehicle in.

Is an 18ft trailer long enough for our A's

Looking for Aluminum (saves over 1000# weight) tandem with brakes on both axles.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

an 18 is plenty long
i would not store a car in an enclosed either just other misc stuff, its like a storage shed when not in use
Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM   #23
ronn

I use a 16' and A's fit fine on it-18' is the way to go if you are going to occasionally tow another vehicle. The aluminum is a good choice and will be the next one I purchase. I also would buy a beavertail or a tilt trailer, for ease of loading. Have seen some very nice ones under 5k on the bay.
good luck with whatever you choose. Single axle braking should be sufficient, but of course double axle braking is better.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #24
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkleydave View Post
Thanks for input. I have pulled many trailers over the years. Large small open and enclosed.

I currently have a 2005 Explorer with V8, electric brake unit, and proper hitch.

Closed are not good for me here in KY. Too much humidity in summer and heat build up to store a vehicle in.

Is an 18ft trailer long enough for our A's

Looking for Aluminum (saves over 1000# weight) tandem with brakes on both axles.

Anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience?

Thanks
Can't speak to your tow vehicle but I have all aluminum (obviously not coupler and axles/springs) 18 foot open as well as 22 foot enclosed with electric brakes on both axles. Since my trailers have to live outside I got tired of rust on the steel versions. When I bought the open one I had a 2009 F150 with the 5.4 V8. That combination did everything I needed it to do for instance hauling a '57 T-Bird that is heavier than most A's in the Pennsylvania mountains. Since then I'm towing with an Ecoboost F150 that has 410 lbs. of torque which more than handles the enclosed trailer with later heavier cars. I don't tow frequently but this combination serves my purpose.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #25
denis4x4

Here's the specs on an H&H aluminum tilt bed. Mine is 20' and I pull it it with either a M-B sprinter based MH or a Grand Cherokee with the hemi/tow package

http://www.hhtrailer.com/products/al...ctric-tiltbed/
Old 11-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
hotrodalley

The Trailer Dilemma.

I purchased a great 16' open trailer - new - for $1600. It is all steel, no wood. Has two wheel ramps and is open in the center. It is a great trailer, however, I did have to put new tires on the trailer because I did not trust the chinese tires. Great trailer and I do enjoy trailering on an open trailer as it is very easy to tow with a 1/2 ton truck. The big drawback is that trailering an open car takes a toll on the top. I have no problem removing the top to trailer the car, but it might rain.

So, I decided I wanted to research enclosed trailers and I found a 7' X 16' enclosed motorcycle trailer that works absolutely perfect for roadsters with the top down. Easy to tow and the car is completely enclosed so I don't have to worry about rain. Its also easy to park. I find myself taking the cars more often where I am able to drive them when I arrive as well as able to put them away when I am done.

The only drawback is that I cannot put a closed car in the trailer, so I have to use the open trailer for the few times I trailer my coupe.

Works for me - might not be a solution for everybody

Last edited by hotrodalley; 11-23-2014 at 11:52 AM.
hotrodalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
barkleydave

I really like the tilt bed trailers. I have a 57 MGA which is VERY VERY LOW! I have loaded on a conventional flatbed car hauler but it was difficult without scraping the bottom of the car.

Clearance will not be an issue with the A pickup !
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
oliverguy

I think some guys go overkill with the tow vehicle. I have an enclosed two axle trailer that I haul my cars in, I share it with my Dad. I tow it with a toyota highlander. My dad toes it with a chevy Tahoe. A half ton pickup should be enough to tow a model A with no problem. We see the same exact trailer being pulled by diesel 1 ton pickups all the time. Total overkill.

Yes the toyota doesn't stay in overdrive all the time. I lock it out of OD if not going down hill or have a tail wind. I get 18 MPG pulling, the car cost 32K new and my wife can drive it the rest of the year. Compare that to some big truck that costs over 45K, gets like 10 mpg, and is like piloting a steam ship to drive the rest of the year.
To each their own, but it seems like this big truck business is like a keep up with the jones thing.
oliverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
whirnot

I too have a 16' open trailer, the normal style with the wood bed. It hauls the A's great, and my F-1 all the way from south Texas. Cost about $1600. I use it for hauling firewood, other cars, tractor Etc. Has been a great trailer for the last 15 years.

I have to admit we want a closed trailer as well, so we can use it for an A garage on long trips. The Roadster doesn't like sleeping outside in the rain. I have about zeroed in on a 8'5" x 16 foot vee nose. Should be large enough but not too large for the F150 and the vee gives better wind break. The biggest problem in finding an enclosed trailer is the price. They tend to be a lot less expensive in the southeast but, of course, the freight kills you.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #30
dlfrisch

As to backleydave - Kentucky....I have used CRC Transport out of Woodruff, SC - Jason Cothran - 864 612 3324. Good enclosed transport, friendly, reasonable $, and on scheduled time. They have hauled my different "A" s for me a few times and I highly recomend these guys.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #31
Fred
BANNED

Haulmark Closed 25' Truck, 2011 Ford F-150 Harley Davidison with a 6.2 gas engine.. Pulls over the Va. & Tenn. mountains with "A" in it with no problems.. But it likes gas !!.. I did not buy it for saving gas $$..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #32
barkleydave

I loved the aluminum trailers. I have a small aluminum utility and looks new after 10 years outside. My neighbor had an aluminum outside not behind locked gate and was stolen within two weeks! He left the tires on it and locked the tung. Did not slow them down a bit!
Ouch! Still fighting with insurance company after six months.

No more than I would haul a steel would work if I had someplace to keep it indoors.
I have four other trailers undercover but now out of space.

As to towing... I towed cars for years with a Ford Expedition and a Tommy Aluminum trailer. Handled great!

Thanks again for all the great input.
I really like the HH trailer. I wish there was a model A club in my area so others could help with purchase or pay a small amount if they wanted to use it.

No clubs near me..
Old 11-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: car hauler trailer

Your best bet would be to befriend a local member of a car club,
then when the need arose to have hauling done you could make
the trip with a friend ....

Unless you haul every day - there is not a good reason to purchase
and maintain a multi - car enclosed trailer & tow vehicle.

The exception would be if you have deep pockets ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:55 PM   #34
fiddlybits

I bought a damaged 5th wheel RV for $50 (fire), tore the shell off the frame off, build a wood deck and added LED lights for a total tab of under $300 and two weekends of labor. Have since added a winch and the sloped tail and still only have about $600 in it.
Pull it with a 2002 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L and have had three cars on it using a set of ramps to put the first car on the "upper level".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (87.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.jpg (99.3 KB, 80 views)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #35
Pinstripe

nice job Fiddly!!
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #36
Ronnie Lawson

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

I have an ATC trailer. It is 38 foot long and 8.5' wide. It is all aluminum with a living quarters in front.
We have put over 7000 miles this past summer on the trailer.
Ronnie Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #37
John S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Lawson View Post
Attachment 203434

Attachment 203435

I have an ATC trailer. It is 38 foot long and 8.5' wide. It is all aluminum with a living quarters in front.
We have put over 7000 miles this past summer on the trailer.

Really nice rig, first class for sure.
John S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #38
Tom Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
We use a 1996 Dodge 2500 with a 5.9 ... The enclosed trailer can handle two Model A's or eight 1200lb yearlings.

Ian
Man, I envy you those eight yearlings. With cattle prices what they are today you could pay for a new Ram/Cummins rig with two loads.
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #39
Chris Haynes

When pulling an enclosed trailer behind my F250 I don't even know its there.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #40
mhsprecher

This talk of trailers brings back memories. I knew a guy who claimed he put a Model A on the back of an old VW transporter "pickup." I can't believe he did it, but he was a bit nutty, so I took him at his word.

I towed all manner of cars with a tow bar attached to my 56 Chevy with a 235 6 cyl engine. I was young and stupid and I am lucky that I am here to tell the story.

Last edited by mhsprecher; 11-27-2014 at 07:08 PM.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:25 AM   #41
Tom Wesenberg

For the safety of the cars, you'll want to use an enclosed trailer.

Wish I knew the story behind this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car Hauler Damage2.jpg (55.9 KB, 208 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #42
trulyvintage

I don't think being in an enclosed trailer helped this car too much ....

Driver Fatigue - folks who drive more than the legally allotted miles
and/or hours in a day ....

Weather Conditions - folks who drive when the roads are wet, icy, foggy ....

Speed - folks who drive too fast for prevailing road conditions ....

Equipment Failure - folks who do not maintain the running gear on their
trailer and neglect to inspect their tow rig ....

Most accidents are preventable - if you care about your own personal
safety & the safety of fellow drivers - you will drive responsibly ....

Jim
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #43
Sixseven

The difference in tow capability between enclosed and open trailers is more about the wind resistance and less about the weight. Although there comes a time when additional weight can be a factor. Even a V-nosed trailer poses significant wind resistance which will limit the towing capability of trucks with smaller engines. Wind resistance with the enclosed trailer is a significant factor which can explain why local hauling at speeds of less than 50 mph can be successful in a Ford 150 or equivalent.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #44
barkleydave

Thanks for all the responses!
I have pulled enclosed trailers loaded with cars. Nice for long hauls and keeping the car "fresh". Down side is fuel consumption and handling when it gets windy.
I pulled the one I used at 55-60 MPH. Open trailer it was a breeze to haul at 65-70.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #45
trulyvintage

" Wind resistance " does not factor into the choice of a towing vehicle ...

Stopping capability does ....

I have always towed with an F350 Dually Quad Cab Diesel ....

It weighs 9500 pounds on average - my enclosed trailer
on average weighs 8500 pounds loaded ....

My trailer has a V nose which does nothing to decrease wind resistance.

I have a 4:10 rear differential.

I tow at 55 m.p.h. every day ....

I can safely stop my load in most cases .....

I reduce my speed to suit inclement weather conditions ...

Look around at what you see driving down the road ....

Folks with actual road experience will drive a diesel dually to tow a trailer,
others drive a gas powered inadequately equipped light duty pick up truck.

Jim

Last edited by trulyvintage; 12-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.